Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: How long could you survive without power ?
* I don't want to even think about it
37.50%
1 to 3 days MAX
12.50%
a Week Maybe
12.50%
a Month
12.50%
a Year
0%
a Life Time
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

> > No Electric > No Power < <

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > > No Electric > No Power < <

Hi Member's,

How long do you think you could survive
without Electrical Power ?

What is the longest that you have went without
power ? Please share!

What do you think would happen `if
the Power went `out in the USA,
the World ?

Click above ?

I think I could survive `if I could still fish
or hunt & have water.

Name:  aB9dv.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  669 Bytes

How about you ? Please share

Last edited by Space; 09-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM

How do you live without electricity by Anita Evangelista

Click
It's good to know b-4, then not being able to do a Googles
search later because everything is `out > 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 09-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

This has come up quite a bit recently. I don't think enough people realize how much our lives rely on modern conveniences. If you want to become uneasy, turn off your cell phones, your wireless phone and your laptop or pad, then try to contact 5 friends or family, or even remember their phone numbers! In the meantime, try to find out what just happened, without TV or an electric radio, while your food begins to spoil..., and your vehicle is useless because the electronics are fried. Listening to Michio Kaku recently on Art Bells new SiriusXM radio show, he states how losing our electrical capabilities is easier than we think, given the near-misses of gamma bursts from sun spots.
I keep 1 of the old phones that work by only plugging them into the phone jack, about $20 new. 50 cents at a garage sale, and a written list of phone numbers, just in case a storm hits. To answer your question, I'd last about as long as my ammo held out.... Saving 1 bullet, just....in.....case....
By the way, I was in the massive power outage in NYS in the 60's, in Niagara Falls, and we also had to deal with a psycho FM DJ, telling us UFO's were sighted near the power generation plant, battery radios were the norm then.

Last edited by hauntedtexan; 09-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Hi `Ken & thanks for being the first to post on this thread

We had a power outage at our warehouses this morning & it became a topic of discussion with the employee's.

I thought it would be a good topic for member's to read & think about.
What `if > Really ? I believe in being prepared, but I pray it never happens in our country > World >, but it could

I know that my life would change without electrical power, even though I do have back `up generator's, but they require fuel...

It will be interesting to see what other member's post. , & how much activity it creates on the MCF ?

OK, whose next to post while they still have power ?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I enjoy the series "Revolution" which is about what if electricity failed to function (no cars, no power of any kind). Fun to watch, would never want to think of it as a reality.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Hi `Jason,
Thanks for your post & I've heard about that program Revolution, but have not seen `it. I know, I also don't like to think about future problems, but I do

I think it would be great `if everyone took a day `off without power ,
especially if they have a family. It wasn't long ago I seen a family in McDonalds that weren't talking to each other, but they all had a phone & were texting (I don't know `if they were texting each other, but the whole time they were there I never heard them speak to each other)

It's amazing how many things in life or people in life we take 4-granted until they are gone, or don't have power
Thanks for your words/thoughts

Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

we had a huge ice storm, quite a few years back, and had to go 10 days without power. Wasn't too bad as I had a wood stove so could heat house and water. Had about 1 1/2 feet of water in the basement, so went and bought a bilge pump that was battery powered and went in to the basement, got everything all set up, and accidentally broke a window trying to open it to run the water hose out of the basement, and the second I hooked the bilge pump up the freeking basement lights turned on and so did the sump pump. Sorry just had to tell the story but this was before cell phones were as common as the are now, so it kind of brought out a lot of community spirit with people that owned generators taking turns driving to peoples homes to help them get some heat going and keep the food good.

but honestly I was ready for total anarchy to get power after those 10 days

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ohara
we had a huge ice storm, quite a few years back, and had to go 10 days without power. Wasn't too bad as I had a wood stove so could heat house and water. Had about 1 1/2 feet of water in the basement, so went and bought a bilge pump that was battery powered and went in to the basement, got everything all set up, and accidentally broke a window trying to open it to run the water hose out of the basement, and the second I hooked the bilge pump up the freeking basement lights turned on and so did the sump pump. Sorry just had to tell the story but this was before cell phones were as common as the are now, so it kind of brought out a lot of community spirit with people that owned generators taking turns driving to peoples homes to help them get some heat going and keep the food good.

but honestly I was ready for total anarchy to get power after those 10 days
Survived that ice storm also, ohara, in Niagara Falls, and thankfully had rewired 1 outlet on the back of the house to the fridge/Microwave and furnace circuits so hooking up my generator was simple and safe by unplugging my newly installed male/female in-circuit plugs so the power from my generator would not endanger line-workers. Then making sure the portable generator could just be taken outside, put under the "lean-to" cover, hinged to the house, and plugged in to that isolated plug with the double-male cord I had to make. (the only dangerous part if you started the generator 1st and grabbed the end of the cord).. Until it happens to you (right space?) the shoulda-woulda-coulda doesn't kick in... By the way, sump-pump was hooked in too. A 3500 watt gen handles it all.

Last edited by hauntedtexan; 09-24-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks `Ken for your post & Story..

** `Jason, wise way to hook `up 4-Sure...Thanks 4 sharing! It's all great `if you have the fuel to keep the generator's running for day's, weeks, months, 4-ever (Thanks for sharing)

My plan `if the power `goes out in our country is to hop on a sail boat with my fish'in gear & weapons to protect myself from the many pirates that will be @ sea (LOL)

I've lived at sea for many months on a boat with no electrical power, but life is so much better with it 4-Sure

I think our country needs to update it's grid & inter-structure 4-Real.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by hauntedtexan
Survived that ice storm also, ohara, in Niagara Falls, and thankfully had rewired 1 outlet on the back of the house to the fridge/Microwave and furnace circuits so hooking up my generator was simple and safe by unplugging my newly installed male/female in-circuit plugs so the power from my generator would not endanger line-workers. Then making sure the portable generator could just be taken outside, put under the "lean-to" cover, hinged to the house, and plugged in to that isolated plug with the double-male cord I had to make. (the only dangerous part if you started the generator 1st and grabbed the end of the cord).. Until it happens to you (right space?) the shoulda-woulda-coulda doesn't kick in... By the way, sump-pump was hooked in too. A 3500 watt gen handles it all.

I hear ya, after that I helped my mom and dad and we hooked up a dryer plug as a receptacle for the power from their generator to back feed in to the house, essentially taking thier house completely off the grid for a short time while on generator power. They live outside of their town approx 10kms so no help close by, they have had to use that set up a few times now since we put it in. Comes in handy on those bad winter wet snow storms, especially when they can't even get out of their driveway, so dad always keeps a couple of 5 gallon cans of gas with stabilizer in it fairly close to the generator, the old "once bitten twice shy" method

Quick Reply: > > No Electric > No Power < <