Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

New (to me) car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

pretty cool man, if anyone can do it, it will be you! And I love the front driver seat, looks pretty comfy....

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 05-09-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Awesome!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thumbs up!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

awsome donor car. i still wouldint mind doing a RWD monte someday, if i've ever got time & $ to do it

funny thing is, i just found the hot rod mag with the RWD moss monte and read the article a few minutes ago.... im really glad your not doing the flared fenders!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did some more digging around on it last night- looks like the coolant overflow tank is full of turd colored sludge. I'm assuming someone refilled it with green coolant or something. The stuff in the radiator doesn't look too bad, but I'm still going to probably pull the lower radiator hose to make sure all is clean in the engine side, and nothing is plugged up (ie tstat). Looks like someone at one point scraped the K member and oil pan on something hard. It mushed the oil pan bottom in a bit, and looks like it bumped it enough to pop the oil pan gasket's seal, so it is leaking a few drops a day. Kinda irritating for sure... I'm not real crazy about pulling the engine for repairs (even a minor one like an oil pan gasket) before I'm ready for the full swap.

They sure are a pain to jack up- with that k member so far back, you can't really go from the front that I could tell, and my big jack can't quite reach the K member from the side without hitting the side skirt first.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop by a junkyard next weekend- looks like I need for sure 1 taillight, 1 headlight, and at least 1 seat. Just gonna go the cheap route to get it back on the road for now. I'm not quite ready to start the swap yet (the garage isn't done how I want it yet, and I don't have enough swap parts to make it run)- so I may as well enjoy it in the meantime.

And I love the front driver seat, looks pretty comfy
Believe it or not, its terrible to drive in, lol. Not that I was cruising around other cars and populated areas; but even on desolate back roads at fairly low speeds, its kinda scary, lol.

The bonus cupholder it has is nice though

funny thing is, i just found the hot rod mag with the RWD moss monte and read the article a few minutes ago.... im really glad your not doing the flared fenders!
Honestly, I don't know why they did that. It looks like they went almost 100% custom out back, even getting away from some fbody stuff- so I don't know why they couldn't have narrowed the rear end.

Only thing that worries me are the front wheels- I'm hoping I can do something to get them to tuck in nicely behind the stock fenders- I just really like the clean, smooth sided look of the montes.

Also noticed while playing underneath that the underbody is absolutely pristine. Obviously its dusty and dirty- but there is virtually no rust underneath at all (except obviously for the parts that come as raw steel)- but the undercarriage has no signs of rust whatsoever (will be nice to replace some of the rusty underbody of the monte). Almost thinking about looking for a monte in the junkyard- maybe I can find one that's not rusting like crazy around the fuel door, and cut that area out.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM

looks amazing, can't wait to see progress pics