Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

New Law In CA, AND Other States

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Law In CA, AND Other States

In California , the "Move-over" law became effective on January 1, 2010.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

The cost of the ticket is $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance

Important Law to Share:

I wanted to let my friends know about the CA move over law.
My son got a ticket on Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart.
A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. My son slowed down to
pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. My son and I had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law.

It is true (see details at the following web address). It states that
except two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted
similar kind of law.

WOW, this could be expensive! What crock of S*** I can see moving over, but to make it 3 points, court, and $750 bucks. COME ON! Not to mention, its not always possible to move over. Yes, the law says "when possible" but some cops are unreasonable, and will probably slap you with a ticket anyway, then you have to deal with fighting it.

I don't get why this person is saying $750 for the ticket, and the chart says $50 for CA????

Last edited by MAMONTE; 01-28-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

...`Michael, that's really expensive 4 Sure, but I understand the dangers to emergency & police personnel on the highways...California has to do something to get outa debt : (

We have the same law, but I don't know the cost for violator's...When I see them on the side, I drive in2 the oncoming lane : ) WOW lol...

Hope U move over....$750 + the cost of posts can mean no future `Mod's....
I will have to search 2 see what it cost here in the SunShine State....

Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have something similar in PA, I don't know about the penalties, but it's just common courtesy also

Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Found it...below...We R a Poor State, Only $120 + 3 pts : (

As you approach emergency vehicles you are required by law to move out of the lane closest to the emergency vehicle and slow down. The law was created because there are a lot of accidents and injuries on the side of Florida highways and roads.
The Move Over Law is designed to protect Florida police, fire, and other emergency workers when they are on roads and highways. As you approach emergency vehicles you must move out of the lane closest to them if the road has two or more lanes traveling in your direction.
Slow Down

Not only must you move over but you must also slow down. The law states that you must slow down 20 MPH less than the posted speed limit. So if you are on the Florida Turnpike and the speed limit is 70 MPH you must slow down to 50 MPH as you approach and pass emergency vehicles.

You Must Move Out of the Lane Next to the Trooper

Penalties

If you don’t move over the penalty is about $120 (depending on the Florida county) and 3 points on your drivers license.
Protecting Police and Fire

The police and fire department face enough danger already and this law was created because these brave emergency workers actually got hit by cars passing by. So move over and slow down ~>`Space.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PA:

The law requires motorists to move to a lane that is not adjacent to the scene of an emergency response, police stop or a tow truck picking up an abandoned vehicle. If drivers cannot move over because of traffic or other conditions, they must reduce their speed.
The law applies any time an emergency vehicle has its lights flashing and where road crews or emergency personnel have lighted flares, posted signs or tried to warn motorists. Failure to move over or slow down can result in a summary offense that carries a fine of up to $250. In addition, fines will be doubled for traffic violations occurring in these areas. If that violation leads to a worker being injured, a 90-day license suspension could result.
In cases where law enforcement may not be present, the law allows road workers and emergency responders to report violations by motorists. Law enforcement can issue citations based on these reports.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't see where OH has a fine connected with this? But you know it's out there some place. Lerking, just waiting on you to screw up.

(B) This section does not relieve the driver of a public safety vehicle, an emergency vehicle, or a road service vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway.

(C) No person shall fail to drive a motor vehicle in compliance with division (A)(1) or (2) of this section when so required by division (A) of this section.

(D)(1) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

(2) Notwithstanding section 2929.28 of the Revised Code, upon a finding that a person operated a motor vehicle in violation of division (C) of this section, the court, in addition to all other penalties provided by law, shall impose a fine of two times the usual amount imposed for the violation.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 AM

WOW that is stiff! Like Mike (Chibi) said I try to do it out of courtesy for the police, tow vehicles, someone trying to figure out why their car quit running and even if it looks like just an abandoned car on the side of the Interstate. Cars flying by at 70+ can be pretty scary when they are just a few feet away. I would have thought they would have made a big production of the new law on TV and radio before nailing someone with that hard of a punishment. Shoot, down here they even tell the drunks where the DUI checkpoints are going to be on holiday weekends before hand. Unsure if we have it in SC but you better believe from now on I will not be taking the chance! Thanks for the heads-up Mike!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM

In South Dakota we also have a move over law. It requires motorists to move into the opposite lane, or go 20 MPH below the posted speed limit if they cant move over. Its a $105.00 ticket here. The fine amount California is suggesting is outrageous. California has the largest state deficient in the country, and it looks like we now know how they are going to close some of the gap.

I agree with the move over law. the number one reason police officers get killed is by being ran over during a traffic stop. A lot of departments are requiring their officers to approach on the right now, due to this. I work in law enforcement for a living, but I am stationed in a weigh station, and dont have to do traffic stops out on the road.

We just had a trooper on new years eve get hit by a car not moving over, after she made a traffic stop. Lucky for her, only the mirror of the vehicle struck her duty belt and all she got was some bruises. She ended up getting back into her patrol car, and got the van that hit her stopped. Ended up being a 19 year old kid that was drunk out of his mind. For that matter get a ride, dont drink and drive, also.

Please move over or slow down if you cant move over, when you see an officer on a traffic stop. they are out there trying to protect the public, and it is a hard and stressful job. Not just from people that dislike you, but all the political crap that goes with it too. Yes, there are cops that are bad apples out there, but 95% of them are just trying to do the job they are required to.

South Dakota Codified Law 32-31-6.1. Stop required upon approaching stopped emergency vehicle using red signals--Requirements for approaching vehicles using amber or yellow signals--Violation as misdemeanor. Upon approaching from any direction any stopped authorized emergency vehicle making use of red visual signals meeting the requirements of this title, the driver of every other vehicle shall come to a complete stop before reaching the stopped emergency vehicle and may, unless otherwise directed, proceed with caution only after ascertaining that it is safe to do so, and upon approaching from any direction any stopped vehicle making use of amber or yellow warning lights, the driver of every other vehicle shall:
(1) If driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction as the vehicle, merge into the lane farthest from the vehicle and proceed with caution, unless otherwise directed; or

(2) If driving on a two lane highway, slow to a speed that is at least twenty miles per hour less than the posted speed limit or five miles per hour when the speed limit is posted at twenty miles per hour or less and proceed with caution, unless otherwise directed.

A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Last edited by seawolf18; 01-28-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Illinios and Wisconsin are similar but they don't fine so much....

Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

NC has had this law for several years and incidents of cops being "buzzed" on the side of the road by passing motorists has actually increased. I have actually seen people (for one, in Norfolk, VA on I-64) where a driver who was already a lane away from a police officer who had pulled someone over, actually moved over into the lane closest to the cop and nearly rode the line separating the lane from the emergency strip and drove as close to the cop as possible under the move over law. It used to be considered common courtesy..... now we've made it a law. Interesting.

Quick Reply: New Law In CA, AND Other States