Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Netflix Fastest Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Netflix Fastest Car Show

**Potential spoiler alerts**

I don't frequent OT much, but figured I'd post up a thead here about the new show on Netflix called Fastest Car. If you're not familiar, it's where each episode pits 3 "sleepers" against 1 supercar for a drag race. The winner of each gets to run in the final with everyone side by side.

I was glad to have a new car show to watch, and it really does have some upsides:
-The variety of cars is very good - rat rods, tuners, trucks, muscle, etc.
-They spend a good bit of time delving into the background of each car so you got to see more of them working on the car.
-They have a nice range of supercars with drivers from all kinds of backgrounds.
-4 wide drag racing is pretty neat to watch.
-They travel around the country so you get a good variety of backgrounds.

IMO it does have a lot of downsides though:
-They don't list the specs on each car. Sometimes you can gather details as they talk about it, but there's never a list of core details provided.
-The term 'sleeper' is really stretched - huge hood scoops, nasty cam, drag radials, fender dump exhaust, etc all fall in the 'sleeper' category apparently.
-They change the rules show to show. Early on, if someone jumps, they reset once. Later 2 people jump and they kick them both out.
-The final is run in the sand/dirt. Who wants to race their 700+ hp cars that struggled to grip on pavement, on dirt? Naturally, the AWD cars get a massive advantage there.
-Some things just don't make any sense. One guy puts water for his burnout on the tires AT the starting line. The guy in the electric car loses traction and then stays in it until it's completely sideways. Definitely seems like some of the guys have never been to a drag strip before.
​​​​​​

So what did you all think of it?

Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I watched the whole series. I thought it was really well put together. The show gets its hooks in you right away by opening with the first few seconds of the 4 wide drag race and you can see it's always an odd mismatch. Then they stop and give you each car and drivers personal story, which is key.

I've always said that to fully enjoy racing (or any other sport) you need 2 things: 1) You have to want someone to win & 2) You have to want someone to lose. The back stories accomplish this. Some characters and/or cars are likeable and some not so much, and this probably varies a little depending on who's watching. By the time you get to the race at the end of the show you are emotionally invested just enough to make it interesting.

The show has enough surprises too and you just might learn something. It's a good series and I hope it is successful enough to do another season

Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 PM

15 Year Member

As more of a specific comment about the show, I though the guy with the blue S10 was a stupid whiny b!tch who needs a slap down. His qualifier race didn't work out for him not because everyone was cheating. It didn't work out because he built a totally unstreetable piece of crap that couldn't idle for 30 seconds, and that was no one else's fault. I didn't like that they catered to him, but at least he made himself look like a total *** and everybody knows it.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Haven't jumped in and watched it yet, but thanks for the reminder to do so!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have watched it all, decent show. I do feel like bumpin with the upsides and downsides he listed. Side note, the chrome lambo owner I wish I could punch in the face lol

Old 04-29-2018, 08:27 AM

15 Year Member

The chrome lambo was an awesome car! The guy was sort of a pompous jackass (his wife was even more annoying), but I think he was just trying to be a character for the show. He didn't bug me after I "got" that, but I'm also a fan of professional wrestling. He was sort of a clown who watched too much tv, but was a good sport in the end and that is important to me. For a guy with as much driving experience, he sure didn't know how to drive his car. That seemed to be a common problem with the supercar drivers. They all wanted to use their launch control and for some reason they could not figure it out. He wasn't the only one to lose that way. How hard could it be?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 PM

Watching first episode, seems pretty good so far. Thanks for recommending it, sure I will be watching the series.