Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need your monte prayers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Need your monte prayers.

I mean, the fuel efficiency isn't a huge thing for me... I mean yeah, protecting the environment is good, but the electricity plants put more crap in the atmosphere than you can imagine. Even if we all had fuel cell vehicles, our contribution might be reduced by a few percent?

I mean, I understand some ppl need big vehicles... but seriously, is there ANY benefit in a SUV versus a van when it comes to haulin kids? maybe if you regularly need to go off road or something. But seriously... the vehicle is higher so it's harder to get the kids in or out... SUV's are simply the latest "Style Fad" that ppl wanted to "keep up with the joneses". Van's are just as safe, cheaper, more fuel efficient, they just don't look as manly as a SUV. So the guy wants one because if he has to drive it, at least he's not driving a minivan.. but the woman ends up driving it 90% of the time, to do short run errands like dropin the kids off... pickin up groceries, whatever... Short trip jaunts that take a vehicle that could get 12 or 14 MPG and make it get 8.

And I don't want to say that onlythe women are to blame...Guys probably would have as much decision in the matter if they really fought for a Minivan orsedan instead of a SUV. Men can be just as out of place driving a SUV if they're used to smaller vehicles, but I do think men tend to understand the responsibility of driving a larger vehicle better than women.

Look how long it took to get the creature comforts like the minivans have into the SUV's. It wasn't until SUV's got "big" that they started offering the flip down DVD's, or fold down seats etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

well i'd hate to be you guys on a day to day basis with kids.... i mean, the back seat room isn't a problem.its that getting car seats in and out of the back seat and jsut getting kids out on a day to day basis that would be trouble.i called out a car dealer once. we were looking at a crown victoria, with my dad, who's trying to find a replacement for his aging suburban, and the dealer opened hte back door and said "you got plenty of back space room" i said "WHAT?!?!? I got a Monte Carlo with that much room, and its a 2 door coupe!!!"

speechless....

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM

My Monte prayers are with you dude. If you do have to give up the MC, you can always get an older one (2nd, 3rd or 4th Gen) in good condition for a pretty reasonable deal AND you wouldn't have to make payments either.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Duane, oh I don't have any kids, I'm just saying, I've seen what' it's like getting the seat in an out. The more intelligently designed seats have a little tray thing that stays in the car... then you just carry the kid in the thing, fold the seat forward, click, click, and move your seat back. I mean... if you had to take the whole thing in and out every time... heck yeah that would get annoying, but honestly it wouldn't be much better with 4 doors than it is with 2.

I'm definitely glad I don't have any kids (knocks on wood) honestly planning on keeping it that way for a loooong time... lol.

nothin ruins a good relationship like a kid(s). Too many of my friends are divorced/seperated/divorcing/begrudgingly living together.

Granted, they all had kids very young... and that probably plays a major role, but still.

Oh, and way to call the dealer out... the better thing to say would have been "nice and easy to get in and out of the rear" since that's really the benefit behind sedan. I mean I don't like sedans because they typically have less leg room, and usually have smaller doors. You look tall enough to know what it's like to have to "curl" up trying to get in sedans with teensy doors.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike,

I too don't have any kids. Well, that I knoiw of?

Anyways please don't blame kids for the problems parents have. Yes kids can add pressure to an already strained relationship. But you better know to expect that BEFORE you make kids you realize afterwards you don't want. But who suffers the most here?

No one likes kids more then I do. And I get along with them great cause I never grew up. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Seriously. I'll get down on the floor and play with them in a heartbeat.A woman I used to date had two boys. I used to play with them all the time. When she told me to take off I found myself hurting more over loosing them versus loosing her. It was tough!!!!

I've been real weary about getting into a relationship with a woman whohas kids since this. But Ican't blame them for something their mother does. It wouldn't be right.

Having kids is a personal decision. One only you yourself can answer. It doestake a lot of work to raise them and I for one plan on being a large part of their life if I fathered them. I would go to jail just to be a part of their lives if the mother and Isplit up.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Lol..Not that I know of... Actually. I guess we dont have to worry about it too much. .I tried a tailblazer. Monte has a bit more room in the back.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:34 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i notice the people who claim that having a 2 door and a car seat dont' have children.... i ahve 2 nieces that live a few miles away and deal with car seats all the temi... tis enough trouble to get them in and out of a minivan. and no, the car seats aren't that much trouble, tis the child itself most of hte time.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 PM

RJ, you're taking that the wrong way... Lmao.. I love kids too! I babysit for cousins/aunts/uncles all the time!
I'm not saying that kids ruin the relationship.... I mean.... not like it's their fault... It's the parents' fault for having children when perhaps the relationship wasn't strong enough. I mean... that's not ALL of the reason ppl get divorced or relationships get ruined or w/e... I'm just saying, that's a lot of what I see.

Trust me man,I would never think that it's the kids' fault. I mean just the responsibility of having child puts a lot more stress on a relationship.... not the kids decision to be there in the first place.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Its not bad with my kids. They are 3 and five, so I just roll the passenger seat forwards, they walk in and they lock themselves in. Now with the new baby coming in, its a little more difficult.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

RJ, you're taking that the wrong way... Lmao.. I love kids too! I babysit for cousins/aunts/uncles all the time!
I'm not saying that kids ruin the relationship.... I mean.... not like it's their fault... It's the parents' fault for having children when perhaps the relationship wasn't strong enough. I mean... that's not ALL of the reason ppl get divorced or relationships get ruined or w/e... I'm just saying, that's a lot of what I see.

Trust me man,I would never think that it's the kids' fault. I mean just the responsibility of having child puts a lot more stress on a relationship.... not the kids decision to be there in the first place.

Mike,
It's nice to hear.

All too often people do blame the kids when they're innocent.

I watched my nephews all the time when they were small. (hard to believe the youngest is graduating HS in the spring)

I changed diapers, wiped away tears, fed them, made them wash their hands before eating, tried to teach them positive things in life, to take responsibility for things they did, and be a roll model for them.

I'm very proud of the young men they've all turned out to be and glad I got to be a part of it.