Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need some Cam opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 PM
1 Year Member
Default Need some Cam opinions

So an exhaust is going to be my first mod for my Mustang. I've finally decided on what I'm going with for those. My second mod is going to be a set of cams. I really want to get this thing up in power. My car as it sits has a K&N CAI, which I am going to change out with a Steeda carbon fiber CAI down the road, and I think a tune which would put it around 270-275hp to the wheels. This is just going to be a DD car so as much as I would like to Supercharge it I don't think I will ever get around to it. I mainly just want something that will be a fun car to drive on the street. So I'm going to do some handling mods down the road, bigger tires, etc. And after my exhaust, I want to do Cams. Just to get an additional 25-30hp

I have it narrowed down to a few

Ford Racing Hot Rod Cam - this is probably the most tame (in power) but most aggressive sounding cam I have found so far. It is made to work with stock springs and things like that so it's basically just a set of drop in cams. with gains of around 15-20HP and upwards of 30-35HP with Long tube headers and a good tune. Here is how they sound.

Comp Cams ***** Thumpr - This is said to be the largest cam that you can run on stock springs. You get a little more HP then the Hot rod cam but it doesn't really sound as good.

Comp Cams Stage II XFI VSR Camshafts - These require springs and everything else needed for cam install. It is a pretty serious street cam, supposed to have gains of over 30HP with just a tune.

As far as power goes I'm sure the Stage II cams are the way to go but I love the sound of the Hot Rod cam. What do you guys think?