Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need opinons on windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM
1 Year Member
Default Need opinons on windows 10 upgrade

What does everyone think of windows 10 ? I really like 7 and am afraid to take the free upgrade. I tried 8 and hated it! I have limited (negative) experience with 10.
I couldn't get the "mail" app to import mail with pop3 or imap4. I also cannot help family wirelessly set up a printer to a win10 machine. It connects fine with 8 and 7. I know my way around computers, so it's not me.

I know that they are eventually going to abandon 7 like they did with xp... And I don't want to be using it when they do. BUT, I also want to have a USABLE operating system. I don't like OS X, and dislike how microsoft is moving to that layout.

I could live without POP3 and IMAP4 email, but I NEED a WIRELESS printer! I did like the smoothness of 10, it reminded me of 7 in that way.

Has anyone liked windows 10?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like it but it takes some getting used to. I get kicked off my WIFI quite a bit now (Think my WIFI adapter needs to be upgrade for 10 tho) soon you wont have a choice

Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My windows 10 desktop won't stay in sleep mode. It's a big PITA that I've tried a ton of troubleshooting on and it really does bother me.

Besides that, I really like it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:32 PM
1 Year Member

I played around with the windows mail and got it working, was a fussy semantics issue that mozilla thunderbird didn't care about. I think I got the wireless printer working, had to manually setup. It's a family win10 machine that I don't get on much, I'm just tech support
I hate being pushed into things, reminds me of how they pushed unsupported vista.

Thanks for your opinions guys! I'm considering running Dual OS win10/win7 if they allow that during the upgrade.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Windows 10 sukz. its just a spyware program for Microsoft. ive been usin if for about 6 months and I still don't care for it. personally I think windows 8.1 is far superior. and of course yes windows 7 still captures that old school style of windows xp with added stability. I bilt a PC for my man cave and I run windows 8.1 alongside Ubuntu. Ubuntu is very simple and rudimentary looking but it gets the job done with MINIMAL resources. plus its free!! there are many versions of it.

MY opinion? run windows 8.1 its great once you get use to it I liked it

and just a heads up if you run windows 10 turn off Cortana and do not use that new web browser called Edge.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sharpeezss
Windows 10 sukz. its just a spyware program for Microsoft. ive been usin if for about 6 months and I still don't care for it. personally I think windows 8.1 is far superior. and of course yes windows 7 still captures that old school style of windows xp with added stability. I bilt a PC for my man cave and I run windows 8.1 alongside Ubuntu. Ubuntu is very simple and rudimentary looking but it gets the job done with MINIMAL resources. plus its free!! there are many versions of it.

and just a heads up if you run windows 10 turn off Cortana and do not use that new web browser called Edge.
Ubuntu is just okay and I've been running Linux Mint for awhile alongside 10 and while it's super lightweight and fast, it's just too difficult for both new and not so tech-savvy users. If I were still on Win7 I would definitely jump ship to 10. It's much more optimized and sleek and if you have a DirectX 12 video card it can finally take advantage of that.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had Windows 8 and I was one of the few who actually sort of liked it. Windows 10 seems similar, but actually got rid of a few things about 8 that I liked (no corners, which I had gotten used to). I think it matters how you use your computer. I like Windows 10 enough at home, but it works terrible at work where its kind of screwy cuz I don't like the way it works with dual monitors. I do find it has some compatibility issues with some stuff - that always happens with new OS's

Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sharpeezss

I really like the stability of Windows 7. I also noticed that the win10 likes to randomly drop wireless signal. I've been looking at linux mint for an old pc that I may been getting for a little project I'm fiddling with. I didn't like edge from the minute I touched it. I installed firefox and told them to use it.

Originally Posted by Onion39
Ubuntu is just okay and I've been running Linux Mint for awhile alongside 10 and while it's super lightweight and fast, it's just too difficult for both new and not so tech-savvy users. If I were still on Win7 I would definitely jump ship to 10. It's much more optimized and sleek and if you have a DirectX 12 video card it can finally take advantage of that.
I'm on the fence of switching. I really like stability of win7, and I feel that win10 lacks it. It reminds me of vista .
I have been looking at running linux mint on a project dedicated "shop" computer. How do you like linux mint ?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_S
I really like the stability of Windows 7. I also noticed that the win10 likes to randomly drop wireless signal. I've been looking at linux mint for an old pc that I may been getting for a little project I'm fiddling with. I didn't like edge from the minute I touched it. I installed firefox and told them to use it.

I'm on the fence of switching. I really like stability of win7, and I feel that win10 lacks it. It reminds me of vista .
I have been looking at running linux mint on a project dedicated "shop" computer. How do you like linux mint ?
It boots up in a blink of the eye. It's extremely fast and 10x more customizable than Windows. There are a lot of programs that aren't available on Linux or don't work as well as their Windows versions do and a big part of Linux is typing commands in terminal, or command prompt for Windows. If you know your way around operating systems then I'd definitely have a go at it.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Scott_S
What does everyone think of windows 10 ? I really like 7 and am afraid to take the free upgrade. I tried 8 and hated it! I have limited (negative) experience with 10.
I couldn't get the "mail" app to import mail with pop3 or imap4. I also cannot help family wirelessly set up a printer to a win10 machine. It connects fine with 8 and 7. I know my way around computers, so it's not me.

I know that they are eventually going to abandon 7 like they did with xp... And I don't want to be using it when they do. BUT, I also want to have a USABLE operating system. I don't like OS X, and dislike how microsoft is moving to that layout.

I could live without POP3 and IMAP4 email, but I NEED a WIRELESS printer! I did like the smoothness of 10, it reminded me of 7 in that way.

Has anyone liked windows 10?

I tried it on the Home PC for a week and it is horrible. Like the one fellow said it's spyware. I don't want it on my stuff.
I work a lot with photo's and when I had to use the win10 it was 5 plus steps to make it work.
The thing I wanted to do was create a CD and I tried everything to make it work and I couldn't burn one.
If I have to take a class on how this stuff work then I think Microsoft should have to pay me to take it.
In a word win10 is junk I hope the techs that created it get out of the business.
The IT guys that work on our stuff haven't said anything good about it.