Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Torino runs 3 laps around Charlotte Motor Speedway!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My Torino runs 3 laps around Charlotte Motor Speedway!!!!!

I'll put the story and the background for the video here. If you want ot just skip and go for the video, here it is:

THE VIDEO!! : 1968 Ford Torino runs Charlotte Motor Speedway-1/1 - YouTube

So the backgroudn story is taht if you spend $50 or more, or give $25 to charity, then you get 3 laps around the racetrack in your street car!!!

So the Torino and I took a ride to Charlotte, which is 160 miles from my home. We got a pair of t-shirts and a baby bib from the Ford Racing Hauler. Quite frankly, the mark downs they claim they have are very marginall... most of the "Many itmes as low as $1" were close to $1 anyway.

So I get on the track... they put cars out between a pair of safety vehicles (Safety trucks or tow trucks depending on the rotation) in groups of 20. You can't pass the lead vehicle, and the other car stays behind to mark who the last car is.

I will also comment that someone is going to get killed. They looked like they were going close to 100 when I was sitting on pit road... after running behind a couple of guys, I think most were going well over 100... 110-120 territory!! No idea how fast that lead car was going really... they were gone pretty quick from me and my Ford!!! Even though it's a race track, all you'd really need to do is move up the track like you were racing in the race and go up into someones fender and be nose first in the wall before you could blink.... it's dangerous, but fun if you play it safe.

I sat on pit road and watched about 4 groups go around the track, along with a group of motorcycles going around. While on pit road, I took several pictures.

Once I got on the track, after watching people pass one another, cut back and forth on the track, etc, I decided I didn't want to try to be running with the Shelby Mustangs, Corvetes, and some other stuff that was there. Fortuantely for me, I was the 3rd from the last to go out, and a Mustang and Camaro passed me pretty quickly after we got going. I caught a trailblazer, and blew the horn to make sure the car I was passing knew I was intending to overtake him.

Anywho, I ran about 85-90 on the back stretch, similar speeds on the front stretch, and about 75-80 on the corners. In defnese of going so slow, 1) I was on 40 year old suspension, 2) I had no power steering, power brakes, traction control, ABS, etc.,) 3) My mother was in the car, her family died in a car accident in 1956, 4) I spend 1 year and 1 month working on the car.... suck to crash it. I didn't even intend to go as fast as I did.

The corners are crazy to run in. If you can't run 70 mph, you're going to be turning right trying to stay on the banking, and tha'ts more scary than just putting your foot in it and going really. At night, they do a "Carolina Christmas" light show, which I'm trying to upload a video of right now and will post later, but they put you on the track on the back stretch, you run the flat part of the track in 3&4 and go down pit road, and then weave through the infield. Instead of staying at the bottom like I was supposed to, I stayed on teh track for a few seconds at 15 mph and my mom thought the car was going to flip over. My dad held onto the outside edge of my door to keep from sliding across the seat.

While on pit road, we observed some motorcycles go to victory lane and take photographs. I talked to one of these guys who claimed he was running 110 through one of the corners. That must be crazy.... can't imagine what that feels like on a bike. Once I ran my lap, I didn't ask permission but decided to beg forgiveness if asked, and just drove to victory lane for a couple of quick photographs and a photo from behind the pit wall.

Great experience... may just go back for 3 more laps next year!!! Maybe next year I'll take my Chevrolet and run a little bit.

Without further ado, the photographs...

Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Great Pics, id love to take my car out on a track

Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

NIce pics and Video ..

Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

very cool

Old 11-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Duane, you da man dude, totally awesome, I gotta do that someday........ Awesome vid!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That's AWESOME! I'd love to do something like that. You got a LOT of cool pics on and around the track. Even cooler you have a video from it all!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Christmas Light Show 2011-1/1 - YouTube

For anyone itnerested, there is a 12 minute video fo the light show held at the track right now too.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

pretty cool Duane, is the video you took from one of the flip-vid cams you recently purchased? If so, I need one also!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Thats awesome, congrats man. The car looks right at home there, just needs stickers.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Thats sweet! Also watched your wood drifting videos,looks like your monte is pretty powerful and sounds nice

Quick Reply: My Torino runs 3 laps around Charlotte Motor Speedway!!!!!