Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My (personal) Prediction

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007 | 02:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member
Default RE: My (personal) Prediction

well even though the world is warming up... answer me this... what is the ideal temperature of the Earth? i'll bet noone can give me the answer to that question. and so what if a little ice melts? if it gets hotter, there will be more evaporation. more evaporation means more rain. more rain means that places taht couldn't grow crops before can now go crops, and those that could grow crops can grow more. more ice will melt, meaning more land is available to be farmed. this means more food for the poor starving people of Africa right? there, build some more air conditioners for those closer to the equator, more jobs, and more food for the starving people of Africa.

sounds like to me that global warming is a win-win-win for everybody.

Old 10-28-2007 | 01:01 PM
rj
|
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Hope no one minds if I add another point to this thread?

Like what Cowboy posted about straving people in Africa. Anyone realize we have straving people here in the U.S. and I'll bet Canada does as well. But our politicians prefer to ignore this fact. I know there are people in the county I live in that do notget the diet they need to survive. I helped at a local lunch counter in 2006 thatmy Church helps support.

I have no problem helping peoplein other coutries who do not havethe food needed to sustain life. Just let's no forget those nearer to us that don't either.

Old 10-28-2007 | 05:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

rj... My thoughts exactly!
Well said.

Old 10-28-2007 | 07:04 PM

Here's one that will tweak off the liberals... let's tie African aid to condom use and population control. Sure, we'll send food, but we'll distribute it directly, rather than let some warlord and his army of 9-year-olds with AK-47s do it. And we'll decide who gets help. Have as many kids as you want, but don't expect any of our food aid if you insist on having more than you can support.

We've already created and perpetuated the welfare state in our own country by rewarding bad behavior. Let's stop doing it to the third world as well.

Old 10-28-2007 | 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

MadelynsDaddy,
WOW, just WOW. At least you are one of the Republican's that will actually put in writing that you HATE brown people, of any persuasion. There are so many things wrong with what you said........
First off, I'm not a liberal, I'm a moderate independent, so no need to throw out your talking points at me, I know all the talking points, from both sides of the aisle, (why isn't there a THIRD viable choice, for those of us stuck in the middle?) On to md's statement...
African aid to population control???? Ever hear of AIDS???? They are pretty much taking care of population control without too much help from us, and since you mentioned it, do you include abortion in that? You know, population control hasn't worked so well for the Chinese.
As for sending food, are YOU going to go over there and distribute it directly? No? Then who is? Our military? Who made you God to decide who gets it? Who would Jesus help, MD?
I agree with 1 statement you made, and that is about the welfare state here in America, but you just lump everyone in 1 big boat, and ASSUME everyone has the same opportunities in life that you have had. There are mentally ill people living on the streets that CAN'T help themselves, but the Republican solution for helping those people was to throw them out on the street and close down the health care facilities that served them (see REAGAN, RONALD). Like RJ posted above, I live in a poor county where men, women, children, and the elderly go to bed (or sleep under a bridge) hungry at night.

THIS IS NOT THE AMERICA I SERVED IN THE MILITARY 6 YEARS OF MY LIFE FOR!!!!!

As for the right wing stance against taxes for the top 10% (that's really the only people the "TAX BREAKS" help), what are you people SMOKING? I don't mind paying my fair share, why should the top 10%? You see, I understand that taxes pay for, among other things .....roads, schools, police, fire, and the greatest miltary in the history of the world. And I LIKE all of those things! That being said, how is it right that the biggest earners in the U.S pay less than I do in taxes????? I average 25% of my earnings in taxes, so why shouldn't they. You must know that freedom is not free, right?

Old 10-28-2007 | 09:03 PM

5 Year Member

i'm sorry i said the thing about the poor starving people of Africa... this is just getting too nasty.. lets go back to arguing about global warming, shall we?

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:05 PM
rj
|
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Good idea Cowboy.

One thing. There is some truth in what Madelynsdaddy posted. Food sent by counties like the U.S. was controlled by the warlords. They got richer and more people starved. (I was going to make a statement about Sally Struthers eating all the food but thought it on poor taste)

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:15 PM

Ditto on Cowboys, and RJ's posts.
I just think/wish that the ~ Creator of All ~would have made
us all Color Blind, but then again there are reasons
my SpaceBrain just can not comprehend.
I wish everyone was taught/praticed/acted: Tonothurt by their words or acts.
Peace to all on Planet Earth.
`Space

Old 10-29-2007 | 06:57 PM

Mad,
I don't hate brown people. I'd rather see fewer of their babies starve, rather than more. What I proposed would achieve that end. You offer no counterproposal.
I am well aware of HIV and it's devastating impact on Africa, Asia and the world. It's not so good for population control, however, as it's sexually transmitted and takes 5-10 years to kill, without antiviral meds. So by the time it kills, its victims have already multiply reproduced. Oh, and the fact that certain African chieftains are telling their people the only way to keep infected men from dying of AIDS is to have sex with virgins, I don't think there can be any argument that these people need education above all else.
Next, who distributes the food? UN and American forces have already been involved in relief efforts globally. This would be no different. And yes, I would go, if asked. Most of my friends and family have served, and I offered but was declined due to a medical condition. By the way, thank you for your service, Mad.
Next, population control has worked in China. It's not ideal, and there are significant problems, but imagine how many Chinese there would be, and how much poorer they would all be, without population control rules in place for the last 40 years.
As for who God or Jesus would help, I can't speak for them. I would guess they'd simply provide enough resources for all of us. But then, I think they did that. The current problems in Africa stem mainly fromevil choices made by men who would intentionally starve neighbors for their personal gain. God seems to be very clear on the issue of free will. It is granted to all of us, and He will not interfere with that, even if it means that some suffer at the hands of others.
There's more in response to the personal attacks I suppose, but I'm going to let most of that slide. I'll respond specifically to any remaining debate on the issues.
Just for the record:
I agree that mental health care in this country is poor and has suffered from the closing of state-run psychiatric hospitals. That should be changed.
I'm a registered independent (for 18 years) and I vote.
I pay my taxes every year (36%) and I don't try to get around it.
I grew up poor (qualified for welfare but my mother worked 3 jobs to avoid it).
I am pro-life.
And, while I could easily buy a more expensive car, I love my Monte. Madelyn is my baby.
Peace and love to all, even to those who disagree with me.

Old 10-29-2007 | 08:19 PM

5 Year Member

alright guys... lets get back to arguing about gas prices, the economy, and global warming... lets not be getting racist here.... besides, the topic is based on gas prices rising because of the california wild fires... lets talk about that again, shall we?

Quick Reply: My (personal) Prediction