Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Dream Car is Here!!! 1968 Torino GT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

that thing is SWEET! a little love, a lot of patience and copious amounts of TLC will bring her back to life. congrats on your project car and definitely keep us updated with progress and pictures!! maybe it's a little early for this question, but i gotta ask - are you planning on changing the color once it's ready for paint, or stay with white?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats! Very cool project car!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Taz, no car is a good candidate for that SOB Chip Foose to mess with it... if he touches this car he will be in extreme danger.

Thank you for your well wishes. The wiring will probably be repalced anyway while hte car is apart. Surprsiingly though ,the vinyl is in good shape so I don't know what the deal with the dash is. The wring that I have messed with so far isn't very brittle. Of course, with any project car you always find alot more problems than you anticipate when you get to taking things apart. I anticipate finding problems I didn't anticipate I think hte car is in GREAT shape considering the shape it is in.... it should clean up okay.. .should, lol.

I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as possible. I've got the summer out of school (well, online courses and 1 course at the community college), and the economy is bad and my parents want me to stay focused on my studies so I don't think I'll be finding a job. More time for the Torino!

I plan to repaint the car Wimbleton White. If it were anything but an original GT (body code 63D!!), I would probably go for a 4 on the floor and bucket seats. But as it is, it's an original GT. The previous owner was going to try ot hoko up a floor shifter.. that's coming out and I'm welding some metal over teh whoel he drilled. I plan to go back to as original as possible... restoring a muscle car to a bench seat and column shift automatic, because thats how this one came.

So here are a few more pictures. I was outside taking some of the trim pieces off and working on removing teh taillights when my mom came out and wanted some pictures of me with the car...

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 04-10-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Looks like a fun project Duane. Good luck with the resto (I assume).

Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Sounds like it's gonna be a fun time, but why is it still on the trailer?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

I had one, Red and White Stripe... but mine had a 302 in it, that I swapped out for a 351 Cleveland.

Oh... Mine became an accordion... I went to a electronics store in the winter, the store was closed so I was pissed, punch it down the side street, saw a car in front of sliding through the stop sign and slide right up to a telephone pole but stopped in time... WELL... that is, until I couldn't stop either and I slammed into the back of her car and pushed it into that pole. Well, a Westland cop saw me, and he came flying down the street behind me, he couldn't stop either and he slammed into the back of my car, which in turn made me slam back into the lady's car in front of me, and she got pushed again into the pole even harder. Since the police car had one of those ramming bumpers, the back of my car was crushed, and after kissing that lady's car, both her's and my car looked like hell. pushed the fan completely through the radiator.... lol... funny now... but not back then... but nobody got a ticket, because the cop would have had to give himself a ticket too... lol...

Last edited by BLACK ATTACK; 04-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM

5 Year Member

LoL, funny story Craig. It's great to see you active again!

Garrett.. the car has no brakes and we don't want to risk hitting anything with it rolling it off a trailer. Besides, it would be easier to take the wheels off and hook up some kind of brake system while it's in teh air on a trailer. My dad and I are going to figure that out sometime while he's hear. Meanwhile, I'm taking trim pieces and taillights and such off.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

GREAT FIND ! !!!!! wish i could find a 68 torino myself....

my mom had a 68 gt coupe with a 4 speed and a bench seat up untill i was abuot 5, it was her daily driver, and my dad had a black 68 gt fastback, 4 speed, buckets, console, and the factory tach, had it untill i was 3, also his daily driver, sold it to a collector. the coupe had the vinal top and by the time we got rid of it it rained inside the car! it was sold to the same collector. so your car definitly brings back some memories.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE RESTO!!!!!!!!!!

ps forgot to ask are those factory stickers on the inside of the trunklid???

Last edited by skylark65; 04-10-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM

5 Year Member

yes but those stickers are very faded...

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

That is so awesome that you are restoring it to as original as possible! Kudos to you Duane!

Quick Reply: My Dream Car is Here!!! 1968 Torino GT!!!