Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Chevy Dealer parts guy Suck-ith!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My Chevy Dealer parts guy Suck-ith!

About 7 months ago I went to the parts counter at my local Chevy Dealer. Showed him the key that I got with the car. Just a regular old key, and told him o needed a security key with the chip/resistor in it. What I got was a key with a Chevy cover on it. I figured OK, electronics advance and get smaller, and he knows what he is doing right? When I got to the cashier she charged me 16 bucks. I thought, What A Bargain!
I should have listened to my instincts. Tues, the security system licked me out while I was at work. I did the relearn and she started fine. But the security light came on After about a quarter mile. But the car started up for me the rest of the week.
Today, we went to a Tai restaurant about 30 miles from home. Food was good. When dinner got in the car and, NOTHING, and of course, when I let go of the key, the security light was flashing at me. So I did the relearn and she started up.
Now, not 6 hour later at the t mobile store, it does it again.
I can't even say that the passlock system is bad cause there is no resistor in the key so it is basically doing what it was ment to!
Fortunately, Home Depot can make me a key with the register tomorrow. The guy had gotten off just before I got there. Then I just have to wait for the security system to lock me out again so I can make it learn a Good Key.
Some people just don't know how to listen. The guy at my GM/Chevy parts counter is one of them!
Thanks for reading my Frustrated Venting!
Hope Everyone has a Great night and a Better Tomorrow!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

sorry to hear about your luck. You should have listened to your gut instinct it is usually the best when it comes to things, I wish I listened to mine more. Last time I had a security key made for a van I owned it was almost $50 at the dealer as it was the only place I could get one cut. Glad you are getting a new one that will work once you do the re learn.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Ohara, hopefully it's only the key. But Once I have the Passlock system set, I'm going to do the bypass. End that misery for good!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had the passlock sensor in my ignition go bad three times so far. The passlock sensor on these 6th gens suck-eth too.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I've had the passlock sensor in my ignition go bad three times so far. The passlock sensor on these 6th gens suck-eth too.
That's why, Once I get the key learned, I am going to do the bypass. I have seen too many post about the failure of the passlock. I have been lucky so far. The car has never shut down while I have been driving. But I have No reason to believe that Luck will continue. I know where to get resistors in 5ohm increments. And the navy certified me in soldering. So bypass is the "Logical course of action".

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's interesting.... My '04 Monte and my wife's '05 Impala don't use chipped keys. I actually bought a pair of Chevy blanks from eBay and had the local hardware store cut the keys. They work perfect, never an issue.

I did not think the '00-'05 Monte and Impala used chipped keys.

Try going back to your original key and see if you are having problems with the system locking you out. If so, I think you might be looking at a different problem.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member

Jason, I do still have the old key. But I had a problem with it about a month After I got the car. Plus, the key was so warn, I had to jiggle it to get it to turn. When I got the new key it turned so smooth it put a smile on my face.
As far as another problem goes, the right axle is bent or out of balance in some way. I'm not up on axle technology! And the rotor on that side is warped as well. I know, they are both easy to replace and not expensive. But I have been so into getting the motor and electronics to work right, that I've been over looking these 2 issues because they are so simple. Anyway, when I start the car, the security light is off. When I get to 35 MPH and up to about 50, basicly 3rd gear, That's when the axle start warbling and the security light comes on. I assume that is why the traction control/ABS lights are on as well. The body control module uses the security light?

I can guarantee I will be working on the car all winter. The inspection is due in April and I don't want the engine to be running bad when I get the TEP Trans put in. She's still a work in progress!