Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My baby has been jinxed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default My baby has been jinxed

Do NOT hit a truck tire at 70 mph. Too late to swerve so hubby straddled it. We now know what that rubber thingy underneath that drags in dips and steep driveways is for, evidently it helps to cool your engine. It's running a little hotter than normal then I guess the fan is kicking on because it'll cool back. Hubby thinks we can put it back on but if anyone has one laying around, I'm in the market for one that's not quite so messed up.

If the tire would have been any wider it would've taken out my front bumber (at least). There are scratches and rubber on the underneath side of it, nothing visible from the outside. If he wouldn't have straddled it, we probably would've wrecked.

After yesterday and the crazy lady and now today, I think my baby is going to stay home for a while.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sux Becky. I'm so glad you didn't wreck Dale!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM

Aawwww Noooo!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

looks like we will have to take up another collection for you, jj you still good for a dollar and maybe some cake, that sucks, sorry to hear!!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Photobucket

I was scared to get out and look, especially when we slowed down and could hear something dragging. I was hoping it was ONLY that piece and not something else. As far as we can tell, that's all that got damaged. Still drives ok, no scary check engine lights, just the temp off a bit.

Hubby decided we had to run up to wallyworld a few minutes ago (I was afraid to go anywhere). Temp was fine then but it was all city driving, it just goes up a bit on the highway. My son said that piece kicks air back up on the motor to help cool it. So if that's all, then we got lucky, it can be fixed.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Photobucket

LOL Chris, I'm wishing now I wouldn't have posted that thread yesterday, maybe I jinxed myself. I don't WANT to NEED and collections, if you know what I mean.

I did get a new cuckoo clock today and seems to have survived it's very rough ride. I have one that was my grandparents' that's close to 50 years old but it's not working and I can't find anyone local to work on it. So I decided to just keep it as is and get a new one. Cabela's had one like I wanted for half price, couldn't pass that up. So a little good did come out of today.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

HOLY CRAP!!

I think your right. Dale needs some time off.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah that's just an air deflector, the front of our cars don't have much in terms of a grille :P

Shouldn't be too bad to replace, and like you said the engine should run fine and get cooled off as needed. Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone parting / a junkyard would have a decent shape one.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM

The same thing happened to are 07 SS .We had the just at week. we were coming from seeing her dad at the hospital and hit a gator back on US 22. Three other cars hit the same truck tire . It took out one fog light, heat shield and the black part of the front bumper.We had to have a new gas tank. I HATE GATOR BACKS.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My '06 doesn't have one.

The "03 Pace car has one, but the original owner damaged it. Nice large crack in it.

They make & sell glue that they swear will repair plastic pieces like these. I'm going to give it a try.

Thought "MAYBE" if I take things easy use my soldering gun on the crack after it's repaired and easy the edges of the crack down some.

If nothing else there's always bondo. Glue it then bondo overtop and smooth to surrounding contour.

I doubt ANY of my local salvage yards will admit to having one of these pieces even if I saw the car in one of their yards. Getting in to any one of them will be the trick.

There's always gmpartsdirect for a replacement.

Quick Reply: My baby has been jinxed