Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

my attempt at photography

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: my attempt at photography

They look nice.

The only thing I did to them was crop them. I have about5 different photo programs including photoshop cs2 and I suck at all of them. I know a lot of my taxidermy buddies photoshop their pics to improve lighting. I don't want to fool with it, I want it right to begin with, so you should see the mess I've been making in my shop trying to get the lights right. I know, I know,I have to be difficult, LOL.

I'll have to remember that unsharp mask command, that'll come in handy for camera shake. I have a tripod but like these pics, most of the time, it's grab the camera and go.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Photobucket

Thanks. That is a BEAUTIFUL pic. I willHAVE to get one of those filters now.
Did you look at the babies and adult pheobes on the second page of that post? https://montecarloforum.com/m_85401/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to hijack your thread. We can take it back to the other thread.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Photobucket

i have a thread? lmao

its fine im learning some stuffs tho i belive in lettin the pic speak for itself not change it with programs to make it look good

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: scc24540

i belive in lettin the pic speak for itself not change it with programs to make it look good

That's exactly how I feel. That's why I've been driving myself crazy trying to get the lighting right, any time I mention it, someone says photoshop.
But at the same time, when using film, some of the same things that are tweaked in a program for digital,are adjusted in the darkroom for film. So I guess if you look at it that way, it's about the same. That still doesn't help me though.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 PM

I agree with letting it stand on its own and if you look at most of mine i do not use p.s. on them becuse of this. BUT. liek becky says in the dark room you have to adjust color,lights,shadows, mixes of chemistry etc.. it is not jsut throw it in the machine and pray for the best.

the thing with Photo shop is make sure that when you use it you dont over do it.
in reality all p.s. is the same thing we do in the lab just in a digital form and faster then printing one out lookign at it and seeing what to change next to make it better.

no becky i hadent looked that far in tot he thread sorry. But those looked nice also.

here is the thing the filter i used was a unsharp mask. it will go in and help take out some of the camera shake it will not always work but i have noticed it will in alot fo things that you might not think it would.

My old boss would use it on every photo at least a 11 ont he slider so that it would make it crisper but jsut bit with out over doign it.

Also i tend to like my photos hot. so i can adjus thte colors in P.S. and get what i want in the photos.

But liek the one i posted that color was actuall two diffrent filters. One RED and one Orange filter stacked on top of each other and then screwed on to the camaera.

I have a love of Black and white photos. so i use diffrent filters in it and started goofing around after i got the digital camera with the diffrent filters to see what the effect was. So i foudn i could make a orange sunset even darker orange.
Or take some of the red out of another photos.

But liek in B&W the red filter is used for folage liek trees etc.. it will give them more contrast adn make them stand out better and give them more details.

there are tons of diffrent filters and combonations of each. like yellow has several diffretn ones so they have diffrent darknesses etc.. so they will show diffrent things in better details.

Also red filters will make clouds look better to in more detail. etc.

If you need or wan tto knwo somethign ask i will be more then happy to help anyone that is interasted in photog.

I still shoot film but i use my digital for most things as it is just conveinet.

OH for your lighting remeber this . if you cast a shadow then your in the wrong spot. LAMO>

kididng.
remeber this cloudy days are the best days to go out and take photos.
they cast verry littel or no shadow ,

Also think of this. look at the shadow of the item to photgraph. where is its shadow at?
can you work it in to the photo ad make it a better image with it.
or do i need to get rid of it?
Also remeber that the shadows are not all bad . refeltion is much worse sometimes.

Also depending how serious you are about it i have some plans for light boxes and how to make backgrounds and even diffrent things that can make hangers for this and other stuff. Just let me know i will post them on a photo site or somethign so you can get them .

Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Photobucket

Thanks Mickey. I never got into B&W, I like color.
I have a background, I'm just having a bit of trouble getting my lighting right for pics of my mounts. I have something else I'm going to try and if it doesn't work, I'll be back for more info.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM

can you take a photo of the set up you have? like as if you goign to take a photo of a mount but then instead of standing in camera postion take the camera off the tri pod and step back and take a shot . so i can see the behind the sencs etc...

to get rid of alot of shadow with a flash system put on right next to the camera. one behind the mount hitting your back ground and one off to the side as a flash . and then if you can get a hair light set up above it so that it will glow in the photo and get your shadows out of it.

Also what kind of back ground are you useing? sometimes this can do it to you also.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Photobucket

I'm going set my lights the way someone who's been having decent results told me to the other day and see if that works. But it'll probably be next week before I get that far. I have a bunch of finish work to do then I'll be taking pics again. My shop is small so I can't leave it set up and I don't want to set everything up for just a couple of pics.

Here's one that I took right after I got this background. I had every light in the shopon plus three aimed at the subject. The second oneI tried back lighting but then didn't have enough on the subject - I have more lights now. Also the stand that I'll be using in the future for taking pics on will not be as bulky as this one. The other one was in use at the time and this was just to get an idea of what it looked like, also was not using my tripod at the time, I was just playing around. I'll be using the tripod next time. I get great pics if I go outside, but that's not always possible.

Most critters I do are NOT as dark as this one either. I probably need a second background for different animals.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3339/C9D54722CDE3438B834623E901980A16.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3339/024469E4F1D9446DA5261BA231426A23.jpg[/IMG]