Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

More models bite the dust after 2012!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah i think it was a bad choice to ax the caravan, shoulda kept it & axed the town & country

Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
One thing for sure Chrysler has the best desingers in the country. I love the 300. I came so close to buying one when I was looking for the Monte. If this Red beauty hadn't shown up when it did. I'd be in one right now. Very Nice cars
The Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Magnum were all twins. Chrysler killed off the Magnum at the end of 2008. For 2011 the Charger and the 300 got a face lift. I think the Charger looks awesome and the 300 with its new styling is a dud. Chrysler got rid of the distinctive lines that made the 2005 to 2010 300 really awesome.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It is a sign of the times, people are not buying like they used to right now. People are stretching old cars to go further. I'm sure that when times get better, some of these names will re-appear.

Though I have never bought Mopar, as I have been a GM Fan-Boy for a long time, but it's not out of the question that I might (as I never thought I'd buy a Ford and dad and I co-own an F150 now).... The one thing that concerns me is axing the Caravan line in hopes to push buyers to a more expensive product (the Town and Country). With times being rough, I question would it have been better to let the Town & Country go and offer a fancier package for the Caravan.
On a side note, my sister-in-law and her husband bought I think an '06 Grand Caravan a year ago. I am not a fan of mini-vans as the do-it-yourself mechanic is highly limited to what can be serviced in their driveway. My brother-in-law popped the hood on there Caravan, brilliant! It's a v6 engine and I can reach all the spark plugs with ease it looks like. Point I'm drawing, it's a v6 mini-van average Joe can probably service with minimal issues!
I have two Town & Country's, a 95 and an 06. They are both 3.8L V-6's. The 06 is much more user friendly when it comes to getting around the engine. They are both very comfortable going down the road. They are like being in a luxury car. Behind the wheel it is easy to forget that you are driving a minivan.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the 300 in my opinion is a nice looking car but it is an overpriced wanna be luxury car. They ride and drive too rough to be in that market and the interior looks cheap. As far as the mini charger(avenger) goes I don't know why someone would spend 20 grand for one of them when you can get a new charger for 25 grand. Also I'm done with the minivan lifestyle so that doesn't matter to me but I did love my 89 caravan. I didn't like the 2000's tho.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
The minivan has been on the market since the early 80's. When it first came out, it was a cool alternative to a station wagon, which was considered to be passe and out of date -- uncool at the time. Now in 2011, the minivan has reached the status of un-cool but a necessary vehicle for toting kids around.

Sales of minivans has decreased in recent years with the availability of more family friendly alternatives. Ford gave up on the minivan market completely years ago. Chrysler is simply reducing the minivan line-up to one model. And adding a Fiat-based crossover vehicle to eliminate the redundancy.
Other than the VW Microvans, Chrysler invented the minivan with the introduction of the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager in 1983 as 1984 models. They were an instant hit and was the idea of Lee Iococca. He had pitched the idea of a minivan to Ford while still in their employ and was turned down. He is the father of the 64 Mustang and also the Mustang II which was an overwhelming showroom success. The minivan at Chrysler was one of the items that led Chrysler back to profitability. Chrysler eliminated the Chrysler/Plymouth Voyager in favor of the Dodge Caravan. Chrysler has had the best selling minivan from day one. I hope they have not screwed it up.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Yeah i think it was a bad choice to ax the caravan, shoulda kept it & axed the town & country
I agree with this.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Sad to hear that about the Ranger, Colorado and Dakota, I mena I'm not a huge fan of small trucks but the girlfriend is and limiting the options is kind of lame

Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monte04LS
Sad to hear that about the Ranger, Colorado and Dakota, I mena I'm not a huge fan of small trucks but the girlfriend is and limiting the options is kind of lame
The Colorado isn't going away. It is getting a restyle. The GMC version of it the Canyon is going away.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 PM

The whole GMC division is redundant and should have gone away before Oldsmobile.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM

The Magnum needs to come back.
...and I agree with Mike's post. I do however love the old/new 300.
I've seen the new one's interior...awesome! cept, for that old grandfather clock in the center.

Quick Reply: More models bite the dust after 2012!