Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Monterey Car Week.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Monterey Car Week.

Or as I sometimes call it, Monterey Car Transporter Week. Lots of exotics in town, a few hot rods and customs. Saw 3 black Ferraris follow each other down the main streets like it was a parade.

Had one interaction with 3 cars that were driving into town. I caught up with the most interesting one, some huge Mercedes that sounded way sweet and was going way fast. What's that about Speed Limited to 107?

Topped off the week with a visit to the free show "Concours d'Lemons" where I saw a car that blew me away. A 1984 Camaro Berlinetta. This Camaro was a local car from the local Chevy dealer in 1984. Reason it struck me was I am dang sure I test drove this very car. After getting a lesson on insurance on a TransAm I checked this car out. Very techie and button heavy. Stereo on a pedestal. The test drive though left me disappointed for the car was full of rattles and plastic on plastic squeeks.

Bought a 280ZX instead. But seeing this car with the window sticker from 1984 ($13,000) and the local dealer frames brought tears to my eyes.

Attached Thumbnails Monterey Car Week.-20160820_114408.jpg   Monterey Car Week.-20160820_114434.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool I missed this one when you first put it up.

Wow, I have seen this show on the Chasing Classic Cars show.
When I lived out there I always saw some real cool cars.
When I went to MPC there was a guy that had an Aston Martin DB-5 that would have been a match for the James Bond Car, he lived in the Pebble Beach area back then.
There was a Chevrolet Dealer kind of near downtown Monterey called (Roller Chevrolet). But that was over 40 years ago too.
Kool stuff thanks for sharing!!!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The old 3rd gen Berli Camaros. I love 3rd gen F-bodies, but that one does not do much for me. But, as you mentioned Barovelli, very button heavy. It was supposed to be more of a "luxury" Camaro.
But, I have to respect, it's impressive to see one that looks brand new, untouched, unmolested over time!
And that is even funnier that you believe you test drove that exact car.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
There was a Chevrolet Dealer kind of near downtown Monterey called (Roller Chevrolet). But that was over 40 years ago too. :
Ernie Singleton's Roller Chevrolet. My uncle worked there in paint & bodywork. Later had his own shop in Sand City.

Other dealerships in downtown at the time - Beattie Motors Ford, Graham Buick, Cypress Motors (All Mopars), Principal Lincoln Mercury. There was an AMC/Jeep dealership - Carlyle Rambler, Wester VW, Honda Of Monterey, Ramsey Fiat and Leslie Toyota a block from my house near the El Estero lake. In between was British Motors of Monterey selling all things Brit.

All the car places moved to the Seaside auto plaza except for Stahl Motors Mercedes Benz, that is still in the same location downtown,

Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Ernie Singleton's Roller Chevrolet. My uncle worked there in paint & bodywork. Later had his own shop in Sand City.

Other dealerships in downtown at the time - Beattie Motors Ford, Graham Buick, Cypress Motors (All Mopars), Principal Lincoln Mercury. There was an AMC/Jeep dealership - Carlyle Rambler, Wester VW, Honda Of Monterey, Ramsey Fiat and Leslie Toyota a block from my house near the El Estero lake. In between was British Motors of Monterey selling all things Brit.

All the car places moved to the Seaside auto plaza except for Stahl Motors Mercedes Benz, that is still in the same location downtown,
My Dad bought a few Buicks at Graham back in the day.
In 68/69 I worked at the Restaurant called the Shutters and they catered to some Movie/ TV sets.
They shot the movie called the Big Bounce with Ryan oniel and they had a 60's Chrysler Imperial Convertible that they had tried to wreck driving thru a Garage it hardly had a scratch so they were beating it up with sledge hammers they bought one and had a dealer car for a stand in.

El Estero park had a Steam Train in the park I used to play on. Back then the address was 411 Garden Ave. not sure if that is still there?

My Dad worked at Meadow Gold I think on Lighthouse Ave.
So I was going to MPC and bumped into this chic that had been in several of my High School classes she was now at MPC.
One day I was on my way to see my Dad at work and spotted her and another gal walking along lighthouse ave.
I stopped to see if they needed a ride, the one lived just up the street from the dairy.
But I think in PG, she invited me in and I was scared by her aggressive nature.
I had made a story that I had to pick up my Dad, she insisted on meeting him so we went down to his work and by this time he was just getting back.
I thought a good excuse would be that I had to give him a ride home but he said no, I drove today.
She told him I wouldn't be home tonight. The rest was history wish I would have married her she was a lot of fun.