Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Monte Carlo Withdrawl

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Monte Carlo Withdrawl

Well as some may know, I have been having transmission troubles in my monte. I narrowed it down to a faulty PCS which was causing my tranny to not have enough pressure at high RPMS when it needed it. It was slipping and shuddering pretty bad under harsh acceleration and when it downshifted from 2nd to 1st under WOT. Well I took it down to the local transmission shop. Its a legit shop, not like the AAMCO chains. My bros girlfriends father actually owns it. Anyway back to the MC. Well I took the car down and they ran some tests and they agreed with me. OK simple fix right? WRONG. Well apparently when a transmission shudders it can actually f*** s*** up inside. Lol who knew? J/K. Well from what I understand there was a sprag gear of somekind that got damaged along with a 1 way clutch that got fried. Im not completely sure, I know just about nothing about automatic transmissions, especially FWD ones. I trust them with it tho, cause I know the owner. I guess this is actually a comon occurance and was a design flaw. Well they have a way to correct the flaw I guess and they are going to fix my car for me. From what I understand they either have one already done on the shelves or they have the parts to repair mine on the shelves. Either way I am getting a rebuilt tranny. They said the total will be around $1800 which doesnt sound too bad. They said they worked me out a good deal which is good.There has been a lack of work in pretty much every shop in the area,including where I work,for some reason. Therewas only 1 other car in that shop when I took mine in so I guess they need the business bad enough to give me a good deal.I have been without the MC for two days now, driving our 93 caprice wagon and I sure do miss it.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Monte Carlo Withdrawl

hope it all works out and you get your monte back soon... it must be hard to go without once you've had one... i haven't had to do it yet.... (now watch my car fail me, damn irony)

Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 AM

5 Year Member

Lets hope your tranny doesnt have any problems Duane. Its day 3 now. Im usually happy to get up in the morning cause I enjoy the drive to work. Lets just say today I would rather be sleeping right now.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 AM

WoW `Matt,
$1800 is a hard `hit 4-Sure [X(]
It`s good that you know the owner, & that they are competent
to do the work, but the cost sure has to hurt.
I`m still paying for replacement of my g/f`s auto trans
in her Miata : (
It is great that you still have transportation, and I`m
sure that you will enjoy your awesome Monte Carlo all
the more, once she gets a rebuilt trans : )
I hope everything goes well on the install, and that
you are back on your highwaysof `life in your Montesoon.
Good Luck, from `Space

Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I first read your post my thought was the splines in the torque converter were stripped out. Had this happen on my '86 LS Monte years ago. It was only $400 to repair it. A new converter and they cleaned my trans out from all the metal shavings.

"$1800 is a hard `hit 4-Sure"

Remember I had trans problems in my '94 Dodge Shadow ES back in january? It cost me almost $2700 to get the car back on the road. I only gave $2600 for the car in 2001. And one week later I had to have the trans rebuilt in the car.

But this is the reason I'm not driving my last '57 as of today. Because the rebuilt trans for my Shadow took all my monies.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM

5 Year Member

I was pretty happy with the bill. The price doesnt sound anywhere near as high as the work that they are doing. Its still gonna take a bite out of my savings, but hey, thats what savings are for. Its better to get it done now while I have money to spend than to get it done while I am at school and have to pay school bills, rent and utilities. Or after I graduate and have no monies left...

Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

When I first read your post my thought was the splines in the torque converter were stripped out. Had this happen on my '86 LS Monte years ago. It was only $400 to repair it. A new converter and they cleaned my trans out from all the metal shavings.

"$1800 is a hard `hit 4-Sure"

Remember I had trans problems in my '94 Dodge Shadow ES back in january? It cost me almost $2700 to get the car back on the road. I only gave $2600 for the car in 2001. And one week later I had to have the trans rebuilt in the car.

But this is the reason I'm not driving my last '57 as of today. Because the rebuilt trans for my Shadow took all my monies.

I remember buy my Cadillac and a month later paying $2200 for a tranny.

Hope things turn out okay Matt.