Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: which car?
Restore the Monte
75.00%
Buy a C5 Vette
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

monte carlo vs corvette dillemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

corvettes are ok cars, im not too into them 'caus for me they are kinda cramped inside ( im 6'3"), they are HORRIBLE in the snow and not really great in the rain, and VERY expensive to fix if something breaks. BUT... i gotta agree with ya, i would rather own one while i had time to enjoy it rather than have it as a weekend car. and depending on where in jersey you live, i would be more than happy to take that '79 off your hands...

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're having other people do body work, painting, redoing interior, rebuilding engine, then it may very well run him $20,000! Are we talking about a frame off restoration? For my Ford Torino I have a running tab of all parts I've bought, from $5 tubes of cream hardeners for bondo/kitty hair to $1000 orders from Dearborn Classics, and my dad and I hve done everything from rebuidling the engine to painting, everything except rebuilding the tranny, and we've got about $12,000 in it right now and we are close to finishing... we've got the engine in and running, we just need to get the fenders and hood bolted on and aligned and get the interior in it!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'd go for the Vette personally. But I totally understand the "value" thing that the Monte has to you.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I say keep the monte not just becuase i'm a monte lover but the sentimental value and if you do have a wife and kid some day plus living at you folks take the money your saving from keeping

Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member

Buy a house or move into an apt... the vet wont get that great of mpg either, and if you keep it and have a kid someday even if it's a woops... it happens i'm one and so is my son... you can then

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member

pass it on down to them and continue the legacy

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'd probably keep the Monty and store it and buy a less expensive car for a DD - especially in the snow. And I would also look into moving out and getting an apartment if you can swing the funds. The Corvette will always be there - not a Monte Carlo.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Default mc or vette

It seems the general concenus is to keep the MC. The Corvette will alwyas be
there but I know.......You want something fun and fast right now. But the MC
was your Grandfathers and I can understand that. So , there is that attachment
to it. Just be wise with your money right now. Keep the MC running good.
Who knows when older guys like myself ( well, I'm only 46 ) get over
their midlife crisis...LOL ....and start selling their Vettes. Then you may be able
to get a really nice one that hasn't been driven hard.
It's just something to consider.......just be patient.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Monte seems to be the way to go.

A corvette comes with very high prices. Gas / repair / up-keep / insurance / etc. These are cars that are cherished and always are around. More people buy them and never drive them, so you'll always be able to find a nice corvette.

Montes are becoming increasingly rare, rust gets them and just kills them.

To me, you have your priorities way out of whack though. If you are debating on restoring a Monte (meaning you can't drive it currently??) or buying a 20K sports car that honestly shouldn't be driven as a daily driver, while still living with your parents...

Do you have debt? Do you plan on having a family or moving out? You will be stuck with only a Corvette if you get rid of the Monte. That's 2-seats, so you WILL need another car eventually. Why isn't there an option of finding a nice DD that will get you to point A and B, and go looking for a place to store the Monte. There are plenty of places where people buy out to store a car for winter, to be restored, etc.

I would put that Monte away, and slowly get work on it. Paint job comes last. Get a reliable DD (why not find a used 6th generation Monte ) and save your money. Do things slowly, and when you move out, make sure you have a place for 2-3 cars! Then you will have the DD and the Project car.

In the end, and you go to a nice car show with a 1979 Monte Carlo, fully restored, family owned from the start you will stand out. If you go with a C5 Corvette, you will just be one of many Corvette owners.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM
rj
15 Year Member

As one of those who went against the forces of nature and "Didn't" let mine get away I'm all for keeping the Monte. As you put it, it's your first car.

Trust me. I talk with a lot of former owners who wished they'd have kept their first car. Some of these guys would rather have sold their wife then their first car. (And some actually did it and wishing now they had the car back)

Most people do not get lucky enough to locate their first car once it's sold off. I've seen some actively search for their's with little to no luck in locating this vehicle either.

I plan on being buried in my first car.

Quick Reply: monte carlo vs corvette dillemma