Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Monte Carlo to Camaro transitional review

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain S/C SS
The only place it leaks is the crack where the T-top connects to the windshield and the driver's side window, in that one point where all three connect it drips...

About the ride quality, I've definitely gotten used to the rougher suspension. I just find it a little bothersome because I use the feel of how stiff and tight the car is as a good indicator to the wear of the car, and I keep thinking to myself...if the car feels like this at 46,000 miles...how loose and rough will it be at 150,000 miles?

One of the factors that pushed me over the edge into buying the Camaro over another Monte was a friend. I got to ride in his 1996 Mustang Cobra, had 140,000 miles on it. The car felt strong, loud, and most surprisingly solid. You could feel the bumps in the road sure, but the car didn't shake much. Maybe it's the Camaro being T-tops that causes it to shake/rattle/have a harsher ride...not sure. I think that if I replaced the tie rods to stiffen up the steering, got new shocks and struts to stiffen up the suspension again I'd be a lot more pleased with the car.

I've seen many Camaros with something called the "Angel eyes" headlight I believe. Where there are 3 lamps located inside the head light. Is that anything like the HID projector? Can you tell me more about the HID projectors via a private message maybe?
One of the ways to tighten he car up is to add Sub Frame Connectors. I would go with the 3 point and you can either get bolt in or weld in. It is one of the first things I am going to do. It gets rid of the squeaks and rattles of the Cheap plastic interior. I would check around that spot in the t-top/window seals as I have owned 3 of these now and not one has leaked. Look for warn spot, rips, etc.... As for headlights there are a bunch of different options. Hop on over to LS1.com or LS1tech.com and there is lots of great information. Like Mod Mike said the projector focuses the beam. You do not have to add the HID bulbs they work better out of the box and you can always add the HID bulbs and ballasts down the road.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by lucian*91
well yeah the camaro gets 0-60 faster then the monte. its a v8 to a v6. slap the 5.7 in the monte and see what it gets. probably still a little slower due to wieght.
thats silly to compair performance with to completly different engines. thought that part was silly.

as for the rest. great review. much informative!
I wasn't being unfair to the Monte and saying its V6 should be just as fast as the Camaro's V8. I was just drawing the lines of comparison. I went from having the 3.8 V6 to the 5.7 V8, I wanted everyone to be aware of the performance differences, we all know they are not equally built engines, one is for reliability/comfort the other is mainly for performance.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Those are proper projectors with HID lights

What they do is focus the HID beam (so it doesn't scatter all around) so you get perfect light output that doesn't blind other drivers, and you also see way further.

I would definitely look into getting a set of those headlights
When you say "those" headlights you are referring to the "Angel Eye" headlights I mentioned, correct? I know this is the wrong forum to ask on, but I think I heard it's rather extensive to install the new headlights, that whole front bumper lip must be removed to gain complete access, I may be wrong, and I know this is the wrong forum for asking questions about the Camaro, but I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Thumbs up Wish `You, yes U a Happy Day 4-Sure : )

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, we are a Monte Carlo Family, but more importantly

we are all automotive lovers.
You created your `Thread in the `off Topic Section
and as it states (A place to boldly go `off topic, and just
about anything goes: ), as long as it's family oriented,

and not offensive like some of that crazy kid's post : )
Feel `free to post anything about your Camaro

*We have several member's that have or have had

the AweSome Chevrolet Camaro.
We are lucky to have so many talented member's

that share their knowledge with others.
Look forward to your continued contributions

to the MCF.

Wish you & reader's a `Happy...

EnJoy

Last edited by Space; 08-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought that problem was only for the LT1 Camaro?

Yours should just be a housing that comes out and the new housing goes in.

I think I'm wrong, they are just halo's for the look but aren't proper projectors. You can tell because they look like standard halogen sockets

Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM

I am not sure about removing the bumper cover. I have heard it is possible without doing this. I will let you know when I get around to doing mine.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM

There are many styles of camaro headlights. The ones I am looking at are projectors. The ones mike posted the pic of are not as he said.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...ht_7338wt_1167

Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

^ Those are pretty sick! ^

Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM

i am really sorry that you couldent have both monte and comaro so you could switch up between the two. i know you must miss really badly the fuel economy from your monte as well as the pepyness from it as well as having the comaro i am glad that you still visit us.