Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

1000 Miles - A Review of my New Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 1000 Miles - A Review of my New Camaro

Name:  IMG_00000054_zps136d7635.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  47.9 KB

I finally already hit the 1000 mile mark on the new Camaro. Which is funny because I hardly put miles on my cars nowadays. This one is just so fun to drive, and I thoroughly am enjoying it, that I'm just making up excuses to go for a ride.

Name:  IMG_3088_zps2baa179d.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.7 KB

So here it is, my Camaro 1LS. Completely bare bones car, a beautiful Inferno Orange Metallic with matte black rally stripes. This car has a 6-speed manual, posi-rear with 3.23 gears, 323 HP V6 3.6L LFX engine, bluetooth, cruise control, xm radio, power windows, locks, auto lights, etc.

I'm actually quite pleased with the amount of options this base model had. In 2013 GM allowed the base model to come stock with bluetooth, floor mats, rear spoiler, frameless mirror. No longer had to add those things as options

The Drive:
I feel like this car has plenty of power for a daily driver. Yes the amount of TQ is lower than the HP rating, so it doesn't FEEL like it throws you back in your seat, but this thing gets up to speed very quickly. On the highway, I don't need to shift around constantly, it's got good power all throughout the powerband. I can keep it in 6th and still accelerate a good amount to pass, or I can drop it to 3rd and rev it all the way to 7000 and get to triple digits. I'm really happy with how this car builds power, and how it has good power no matter what. So far, I have been averaging 25.7 MPG. This is mostly city driving, and having fun. My last Camaro was lucky to break 20, so I'm happy in that area! I have no problems with visibility, but if you don't have a rear spoiler, I have no idea how you would be able to back-up into a space without hitting a wall.

The Transmission:
I need to change this shifter. I really need a short throw, I miss that one way too much from the 98 Camaro. It feels like a long throw, and it has too much play for my tastes. It's well geared though, all of the shift points are nice.

The Looks:
Here's my favorite part of the car. I think this thing just LOOKS sharp. Not everyone loves it as much, I really think it's one of the best looking cars currently being made. From the moment I saw it in person in 2008 at the Philly Auto Show, I had to have one.

The Interior:
The second ANYONE gets in the car, the first thing they say is "wow this seat is comfortable". It truly is. This car does not FEEL like what it looks like it should. It looks like it should be more uncomfortable to drive, but it really isn't. These seats just hug you, I can adjust my seat high and bring the wheel close to me and I just stay planted where I want to be. I'm a shorter guy, with very long legs and I fit perfectly. Yes the plastics on the door are a little cheap, but that's fine.

The Sound System:
The stock system is meh. If you turn the bass up to 9 out of 12, it can thump your mirrors around, but you almost have to have the volume maxed to enjoy it. I'm not a big sound system guy, I don't need the loudest car on the block, but it could use a subwoofer I think. I actually might add one, but the rest of the speakers sound "good enough"

Overall:
Overall, getting all of this in a car for under $25,000 BRAND NEW is phenomenal. With the price of cars these days, I feel like for the amount of car this is, it's a great deal. I love driving it, it's very comfortable, and it's very fun. Definitely a 5-star car, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. No regrets here!!!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you got a great deal Mike and your Camaro Shure is awesome looking

Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM

They are nice looking cars! It is always nice not to have regrets after you buy a car...

Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM

That car is defiantly nice, and the review is written well, I felt like I was reading a review in a magazine as detailed as you have it.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad your happy with your new Camaro..
It would be nice to have a 6-speed manual .

Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

glad you're happy with it, looks good mike

Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Take it to the track, let's see what that new V6 can do.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Inferno Orange Metallic. If I had one that's the color I'd want.

How is entry/exit compared to the Monte? Before the Monte Carlo I had a 4th gen Firebird, one of the most loved changes was to be able to get out of a car without unfolding my legs and sort of falling out of it.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Inferno Orange Metallic. If I had one that's the color I'd want.

How is entry/exit compared to the Monte? Before the Monte Carlo I had a 4th gen Firebird, one of the most loved changes was to be able to get out of a car without unfolding my legs and sort of falling out of it.
Car is not as low as a 4th Gen. The Monte is still easier because the seats aren't as much of a bucket, but its much nicer than my 98 Camaro in that aspect.

I'll get it to a track sometime, the Monte is my priority right now though haha

Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Glad you are happy with your purchase. When I test drove one noticed the steering wheel blocked part of the speedo and tach (or at least where had the steering wheel tilted down that was comortable for me). Don't have that problem with my mustang.

Quick Reply: 1000 Miles - A Review of my New Camaro