Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Monte Carlo to Camaro transitional review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Very nice write up.
I love that bodystyle, and those cars are just plain sexy.
The downside of course as you posted, the fuel economy ... i cringe. lol
but i would not mind owning one of those in the future.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Very nice review. I'm glad you told us about your experiences. It does make me even happier though that I have an LS4 Monte, because I get the performance you see, or close to it, with all the comforts and drive-ability of the Monte.
Thank you for the compliment, I'd been wanting to share the pros and cons between both cars for awhile, this was finally my chance.

When my '03 Monte was totaled I remember telling myself that with the insurance money I swore to myself I would buy another Monte Carlo, preferably the '04-'05 S/C 3.8, because I loved the 6th generation Monte so much. I pondered this, and then pondered the LS4 V8 Monte, 63 HP more than the L67. I was very close to purchasing a black 2006 Monte Carlo SS. The only thing holding me back was the cost of the car and the cost of the insurance, both were too great.

Owning the Camaro now I remember the qualities my old Monte had, and I wish my current car had some of those while maintaining that V8 power. The RWD the Camaro has offers a distinct handling advantage over any FWD car I've owned, so that much is pleasing. So I often do wish I had the LS4 Monte...but when it comes to a good street race I'd pull up to the LS4 Monte/Impala in my Camaro any day and have no fear.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very detailed review, and you did a great job drawing comparisons. Thank you!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can relate to the same ride comparisons - I handed down my '95 Firebird V6/5 Speed to my son when I got the Monte.

I like the sunroof on the Monte - pushbutton instant open to the air. But it is not as open and cool as having the T-Tops off. As a 70s teen I thought T-Tops were the coolest thing in the world.

Getting in the Firebird was an "aim your butt for the target and drop in" process, exiting is like you say, pushing off from the rocker panel. I'm 6'6".

Last edited by Barovelli; 08-04-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Very detailed review. I find it interesting that some of the things you mention as negatives like the stiffer ride are what I love. I do know what you mean though the monte is smooth and a great car. Dual climate was great. I would happily own one again as my daily driver. Just a heads up the t-tops should not leak you may to replace the seals. Even on my 95 firebird with a 150,000 hard miles they did not leak and sealed tight. Look to replace the headlights with HID projectors and you will be surprised at how good those can be. If you have mod questions let me know, as I get my 98 z28 up and running I have a list of things to do to it.

Last edited by Teacher; 08-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli

Getting in the Firebird was an "aim your butt for the target and drop in" process, exiting is like you say, pushing off from the rocker panel. I'm 6'6".
You are very right in that aspect. Entering the car you can never gently ease yourself into the seat, you just sorta aim and fall...it's a bit of a drop with how low the car is, but I like it being so low to the ground, gives me the feeling that I have complete control over the car.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
Very detailed review. I find it interesting that some of the things you mention as negatives like the stiffer ride are what I love. I do know what you mean though the monte is smooth and a great car. Dual climate was great. I would happily own one again as my daily driver. Just a heads up the t-tops should not leak you made to replace the seals. Even on my 95 firebird with a 150,000 hard miles they did not leak and sealed tight. Look to replace the headlights with HID projectors and you will be surprised at how good those can be. If you have mod questions let me know, as I get my 98 z28 up and running I have a list of things to do to it.
The only place it leaks is the crack where the T-top connects to the windshield and the driver's side window, in that one point where all three connect it drips...

About the ride quality, I've definitely gotten used to the rougher suspension. I just find it a little bothersome because I use the feel of how stiff and tight the car is as a good indicator to the wear of the car, and I keep thinking to myself...if the car feels like this at 46,000 miles...how loose and rough will it be at 150,000 miles?

One of the factors that pushed me over the edge into buying the Camaro over another Monte was a friend. I got to ride in his 1996 Mustang Cobra, had 140,000 miles on it. The car felt strong, loud, and most surprisingly solid. You could feel the bumps in the road sure, but the car didn't shake much. Maybe it's the Camaro being T-tops that causes it to shake/rattle/have a harsher ride...not sure. I think that if I replaced the tie rods to stiffen up the steering, got new shocks and struts to stiffen up the suspension again I'd be a lot more pleased with the car.

I've seen many Camaros with something called the "Angel eyes" headlight I believe. Where there are 3 lamps located inside the head light. Is that anything like the HID projector? Can you tell me more about the HID projectors via a private message maybe?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 AM

well yeah the camaro gets 0-60 faster then the monte. its a v8 to a v6. slap the 5.7 in the monte and see what it gets. probably still a little slower due to wieght.
thats silly to compair performance with to completly different engines. thought that part was silly.

as for the rest. great review. much informative!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those are proper projectors with HID lights

What they do is focus the HID beam (so it doesn't scatter all around) so you get perfect light output that doesn't blind other drivers, and you also see way further.

I would definitely look into getting a set of those headlights

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo to Camaro transitional review