Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Monday, September 12, 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Hey Chris, Justin, Zach

Nm goin on here watchin top gear lol, got my used lip in today for my monte to fix the small damage my dad done

Man its good it was just the maf unhooked on ur car & not somthin else

& that sux ur having issues on ur monte chris
Hey Mike

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Thanks, if it is a cv joint, what is the worst case scenario when driving to work on the PA turnpike going 70mph and the CV joint totally f's up?? I was also quoted $180 for the part + install, not sure if that is a bad price or if I could do it myself with "limited" mechanical knowledge and tools, but I do have a haynes manual!.... I know, not really funny but for me to do most anything requires a lot of giddy-up....

I to was a mopar fan! I had a 383 formula s fastback __________, fill in the blank.......
I've never heard of a cv joint coming apart at highway speeds. Usually they fail going around a corner or starting from a stop. When they fail it feels like you shifted into neutral. The RPM's go up but the car doesn't move. They usually are not that hard to change especially if you have a repair manual. You should be able to buy the part for less than 180.00 but if you don't install it yourself it doesn't matter. Shops usually do a markup on the parts and labor. You should also check your your ball joints and tie rod ends for wear. If you don't know how I can tell you. The worst part is if you have a northern car things may not want to come apart easily.

One of my project cars is a 71 Dart Swinger with a 383. It is my first big block car. I am looking forward to building that car.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I've never heard of a cv joint coming apart at highway speeds. Usually they fail going around a corner or starting from a stop. When they fail it feels like you shifted into neutral. The RPM's go up but the car doesn't move. They usually are not that hard to change especially if you have a repair manual. You should be able to buy the part for less than 180.00 but if you don't install it yourself it doesn't matter. Shops usually do a markup on the parts and labor. You should also check your your ball joints and tie rod ends for wear. If you don't know how I can tell you. The worst part is if you have a northern car things may not want to come apart easily.

One of my project cars is a 71 Dart Swinger with a 383. It is my first big block car. I am looking forward to building that car.

Thank You for the info, my first was a 67 formula s 383 fastback barracuda, never really did much to it!... I got a DUI and had to sell it to pay court costs and fines etc........ The DUI was not in the barracuda

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Yeah Chris they usually break taking off. I had one clicking for about 3 years on an old car i drove occasionally. I was just too cheap to fix it and wanted to see how long it would last. It was fine until i was pulling out of a gravel lot and punched it.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Yeah Chris they usually break taking off. I had one clicking for about 3 years on an old car i drove occasionally. I was just too cheap to fix it and wanted to see how long it would last. It was fine until i was pulling out of a gravel lot and punched it.

good to know, thanks man!

Hey Mike, I'm not to upset about the issues with the Z, it is kinda normal for a car that old with that many miles! I'm just glad I have a ton of people here who can offer up their help and suggestions.....

Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
RED DEVIL

i wish i could find a decent priced Z. i think my deal for the 2000 monte fell through he is dragging his feet on the deal

chris you have another pm.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
15 Year Member

Zach, nothing yet on the pay pal? Not sure how long that takes though?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Zach, nothing yet on the pay pal? Not sure how long that takes though?
it said you arent verified so they would send you an email. you gotta get the email so you can finish the transaction

Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
15 Year Member

wtf, I just made a purchase there recently and I'm not verified??? I'm po'd right now because my buddy at work brought in some stuffed banana peppers for me and I just realized I forgot them..... Getting old sucks, I guess that will be dinner tomorrow night because I have an on-site class at work from 6pm til 9pm

Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah its always good to have help from the members on here, always have advice lol, hope you get it all figured out

Im getting ready to start a major overhaul on the monte, brakes, exhaust, trans ect lol

& paypal is screwy i think lol

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Monday, September 12, 2011