Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Monday 4/25/16 >Click & Post<

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I got really busy at work today so I wasn't able to post much

Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Afternoon guys. Trainer is taking a 34 reset, so I'm just hanging out at one of the company terminals in California. So far, in 5 days, I drove through 13 states for a total of close to 3000 miles. When I get done with my training, I hope to be able to go solo for a while, then I might become a trainer myself when I'm more comfortable with my own abilities.

Hope y'all are doing well. I think I'm going to get some computer training done, then go out and enjoy the fresh air some more

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
I got really busy at work today so I wasn't able to post much

Hi Mod `Barbara,
That's to bad that you weren't able to earn any Donald Duck
Dollars for posting
Wish you a easy/relaxing evening to enjoy.
--------------------------------------------------------
One of the employee's brought me a Toyota Tacoma truck
to drive per instructions from my boss + a company phone.
I was told that he would get with me soon (?).

I just took it to the self wash & cleaned it. I was happy to
see it had just about a full tank of fuel
It's great to not be a prisoner @ the condo.
===============
Wish all a great `eve >EnJoy<

Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Afternoon guys. Trainer is taking a 34 reset, so I'm just hanging out at one of the company terminals in California. So far, in 5 days, I drove through 13 states for a total of close to 3000 miles. When I get done with my training, I hope to be able to go solo for a while, then I might become a trainer myself when I'm more comfortable with my own abilities.

Hope y'all are doing well. I think I'm going to get some computer training done, then go out and enjoy the fresh air some more

Hi Sgt Major `Drew,
Your trainer is taking a what ? He must have ate some bad food (?)>

You drove more in 5 days then I've driven this year.
Did you have any bad weather ? Have you driven your rig on ice/snow/rain yet ? Do you enjoy driving a big rig ? What type of semi is it ? Is it a box trailer ?
Is it in good shape ? How many speeds tranny ?

Wish you a safe journey & thanks for the MCF NASCAR update. Keep us updated. Good Luck

Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Evening all. Had to write a letter today as to why i want to work for ups. Building manager is supposed to ride with me and observe, that's gonna be fun.

The train thing yesterday, long story short. It was the Catskill Mountain Railroad, they've been in a long battle with the local county government wanting to convert the rails into train. As of now it appears they've unfortunately lost and yesterday they made a last ditch effort to go where no train has gone before and they took a train an additional 5 miles beyond anything they've ever done before. The last time a train was where they were was 1976.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Hi `Keane,
Thanks for checking in with your update. Did you have fun ?
Did you take pictures ? (if so, please share if you can ?).

Oh, I hope you wrote a good letter & told them that you always loved UPS and that it's been a life long ambition to work for such a great company with great leadership

Good Luck & I hope you get the job...

Old 04-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I took plenty of pics. If they get on the site i'm working on i'll post a link.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks Keane, I look forward to seeing them...Oh, did you get to ride on the train ?

p.s. are you seeing this on your screen
Name:  button14up.png
Views: 17
Size:  2.1 KB
It's not my photobucket account. I don't have one Two of the pictures on the MOTM & MOTY pictures are not showing on the homepage of the Blog ?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike

Hi Sgt Major `Drew,
Your trainer is taking a what ? He must have ate some bad food (?)>

You drove more in 5 days then I've driven this year.
Did you have any bad weather ? Have you driven your rig on ice/snow/rain yet ? Do you enjoy driving a big rig ? What type of semi is it ? Is it a box trailer ?
Is it in good shape ? How many speeds tranny ?

Wish you a safe journey & thanks for the MCF NASCAR update. Keep us updated. Good Luck

We're not allowed by DOT regulations to drive more than 70 hours in an 8 day period. A 34 hour reset resets that 70 hour clock and starts you fresh.

So far, I haven't had any bad weather. Got a little bit of rain in Indiana, and there was a nasty crosswind coming across both the Texas Panhandle and Arizona, but no snow or ice.

It's not a bad line of work. It's a lot of work and there's a lot more to it mentally than people think. There's a reason why the good drivers make very good money. I'm currently driving a 2013 Freightliner with a 9 speed manual. Most likely, I'll be stuck with an automatic when I get my own truck as the major carriers (mine included) are moving to automatics in their fleet. I'll request a manual, but I don't think I'll get one. I'll be lucky as it is if I can get solo like I want to. My company favors team drivers (because they can cover more miles in a shorter period of time and they split the mileage pay between drivers), but there are still solo opportunities out there if you're willing to dig for them.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM

Thanks Sgt Major `Drew for your reply. Sounds like a interesting and fun job. I think you might enjoy a automatic if you get into a lot of city stop and go traffic. I know that has to be stressful moments the way that people are driving tonight and don't seem to have respect for the Big Rig's.

Wish you a safe career exploring the USA. Keep us updated & Good Luck