Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Mileage

Hi There, and thank you for the warm welcome.

I was hoping for around 25mpg around town and closer to 30 highway. I was driving a 98 Monte, Z34 3.8L standard motor. When it was totaled in a rear end collision, I bought the 05 SS Monte Supercharged again with the 3.8L. I am running around 21mpg average, (using paper & pencil, lol), and highway is around 26/27. The car is fully tuned, Bosch 4 plugs, new air filter, and oil changed.

I have been using 87oct. for fuel, mostly because of the cost. I haven't noticed any pinging or hesitation and she seems to have plenty of power, especially at higher rpm's. I probibly should change to the good stuff (91 oct) to see if there is an improvement in performance and mileage.

I will try the K & N air filter, as air induction is important.

This is my 3rd Monte (I owned a 74, 98, and now the 05). I have also owned Impala's 59, 63, & 67SS. Love them Chevy's, but the Monte's have always given me a great ride and good performance.

Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I plan to take some pics soon and post them, kinda share the pride.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM

I only get 19mpg ... and i don't even have a supercharger
That sucks, I'm running everything I have, and still get 19 MPG highway =)

Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM

have been using 87oct. for fuel, mostly because of the cost. I haven't noticed any pinging or hesitation and she seems to have plenty of power, especially at higher rpm's. I probibly should change to the good stuff (91 oct) to see if there is an improvement in performance and mileage.
You're not going to FEEL hesitation with knock. If you're SC, and only running 87, your car is knocking, guaranteed. No offense but don't be a moron. If you have a S/C, and don't want to run premium, you're going to blow your engine. Period.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

But then again I have a leadfoot ...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Put a small block of wood beneath the Gas Pedal so you can't actually stomp the accelerator right flat on to the firewall.

That ought to improve your fuel economy a little bit and its a relatively cheap mod.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol... i like the block of wood idea....

Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Twisted_Metal

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

But then again I have a leadfoot ...

And you think I don't?!? lmao

Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM

No offense taken. Filled up today with 93 and noticed a measurable difference in performance. Stupid me Maybe the engine has higher compression than I realized. Anyway I appreciate the feed back.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM

No offense taken. Filled up today with 93 and noticed a measurable difference in performance. Stupid me Maybe the engine has higher compression than I realized. Anyway I appreciate the feed back.
I KNOW you will see continued performance, as long as you keep pumpin in premium.

It's not the compression, it's the high temperature combined with boost that cause's pre-det, damaging pistons and causing head problems. Treat your engine right, and you'll be treated quite well by your engine.

Take care! And welcome to MCF!

-Keegan

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM

I've always wondered why people (including myself) pay more attention to the price of gas than virtually any other product. We all know people who will drive five miles out of their way to save a penny per gallon.

I've experimented with 87 and 89 octane in my 06 SS, but it now gets a steady diet of Amoco Ultimate.In my own mind, I rationalize the added expense by thinking of the total cost for a fillup, as opposed tohow much more it costs per gallon (in my area, it's about 20-cents more). For example, if I pump in15 gallons it's going to cost me$3 more for the good stuff - 3 bucks!If that's a serious concern for me, then Ifigure I'm driving the wrong kind of car.

Here in Missouri, there's anotherfactor to consider that manyfolks may not be aware of. A new law(that very quietly went into effect on January 1)requires that all regular and mid-grade gas sold in Missouricontain 10-percent ethanol. Additionally, there is no requirement that pumps be labeled to reflect this. Premium gas is exempted from this requirement,but if it does contain ethanol the pump must clearly be labeled as such. Most stations started complying with the new law a few months prior to the Jan. 1 deadline, so Missourians have beenunknowingly been burning this stuff for a while now.

Quick Reply: Mileage