Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Members Blog: Wednesday February 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM

I was infected by av.exe last night, a malware program that poses as a windows based defender program. I basically had to end av.exe through the ctrl-alt-delete task manager while I attempted to rid it from the computer. It would trigger everytime I tried opening any files, including the execution for Firefox. After updating AVG- It failed to locate and destroy the malicious program. Although I thought that AVG was also used in instances of Malware infection, it didn't find anything.

So, In comes Spybot - Search and Destroy. Installed, updated everything, scanned, fixed- and av.exe was gone, along with some other malicious programs that I didn't know were on the computer. The program is great for that sort of thing. I think the worst virus I ever had was when I had XP, and it somehow nested not only in the memory, but also in the recovery portion of my HD.

We didn't get any snow here, thankfully. Roads are still dry which means no salt. Awesome.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Ravenna Weather

Updated: Feb 24, 2010, 11:45am EST
Right Now

34 °F
Mostly Cloudy

Hi `East,
Sorry that you had a `puter prob, but glad that Spybot was able to remove the virus that you picked `up
AVG has been doing `ok 4-Me, but I only have the free program they offer. I also used Windows Defender.
I've been gett'in bounced `off the Web often, and I haven't been to a X rated site in a long time : )

Glad to read the roads in Portage Co are improving & no snow...Now, go clean your Monte, take pic's & share : )
Peace/Happy/`Out

Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM

You definitely jinxed me haha. So right after you posted that I went into Trumbull county and got owned by slushy snow. So thick it covered my liscence plate in a matter of minutes making it unreadable. I have a feeling I'm going to have to detail again on Sunday to keep my car pristine. Maybe pics then? Ha. We're supposed to get snow on and off until Saturday.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by East
I was infected by av.exe last night, a malware program that poses as a windows based defender program. I basically had to end av.exe through the ctrl-alt-delete task manager while I attempted to rid it from the computer. It would trigger everytime I tried opening any files, including the execution for Firefox. After updating AVG- It failed to locate and destroy the malicious program. Although I thought that AVG was also used in instances of Malware infection, it didn't find anything.

So, In comes Spybot - Search and Destroy. Installed, updated everything, scanned, fixed- and av.exe was gone, along with some other malicious programs that I didn't know were on the computer. The program is great for that sort of thing. I think the worst virus I ever had was when I had XP, and it somehow nested not only in the memory, but also in the recovery portion of my HD.

We didn't get any snow here, thankfully. Roads are still dry which means no salt. Awesome.

Sounds exactly like what was going on with mine last night.
I installed AVG today along with Malwarebytes (THIS IS WHAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM, its great) you can't be too safe when it comes to this sort of stuff. This PC was almost 2 thousand dollars two years ago, i've done all i can to protect it and i will do everything to keep it safe.
So far so good, I feel a little safer having both AVG and Malwarebytes.
So if you guys have issues or just want some extra protection i definitely recommend malwarebytes to you all.
Have a good day, don't forget to vote for Monte of MONTH!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My roommate swears by CA (computer associate's) anti-virus and anti-spyware program, $50 a year. Good luck to everyone who has snow on the way.... I heard hear at Campbell from some one up there that they are calling for something called a snow hurricane, which are pretty hard to predict and come with lots of wind... never heard of one myself.

Well today has been a good day. I got a 97 on my US History to 1865 test and found out Micro Economics is cancelled for tomorrow!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Hi all just cruising by too say hi !!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi everyone!!! Just taking a break at work - using a mac no computer Viruses here LOL!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Lol got to love a mac

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
Lol got to love a mac
...LOL `Keith....LOL,
yes, you can't beat a BIG MAC, but only the Rich can afford one Us poor people have 2 settle 4 a "Happy Meal"

Great 2 C U post'in on the blog..
(Each post counts 4-Sure, especially to our owners & sponsor's)

Aunt `Amy, we have been sitting here waiting for baby pictures of your New Niece
Hope your sister & baby are doing `great.

LoL `East, I wish I had those powers 2 control the weather, but I have no control over Mother Nature 4-Sure....If I did, I'd be Rich : ) Hope you also have a early sunny `Spring

`Ryan, sorry U didn't have 2 `go 2 Zchool 2day LOL
It must be the price one has 2 pay 2 live in the beautiful mountain area of BuZZkill, Pa ...~>4-Sure
Hope U enJoyed your `day with your new `toy talon : )

Mod `Mike, wish U clear roads to your trip back home in
the Pocono's.....Be safe with the Brakes...oh, "Buckle Up 2"..
We need your input here on the MCF 4-Real

__________________________________-

Hi MaMonte `Michael, just in case U check in 2day : )
"Word Association", is wait'in 4 your return

CowBoy `Duane, super grade on your test....`Congrat's, see
your parents were right that "Hard work pays `off"

EnZo `Brock, where R U ? How's the header Hook `up ?

`Jose, glad U got your `puter supercharged & running...EnJoy your posts & contributions to our Family.
Thanks
+++++++___________________________

Wish you read'in this a good eve...EnJoy your `Now
Peace/Happy`Out

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks space, trust me i am very happy that I got rid of the virus.
Thanks for google too! :P i love it.

Quick Reply: MCF Members Blog: Wednesday February 24, 2010