Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Members Blog: Wednesday February 10, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

40 years old

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Eh, I've just been really lucky getting super deal after super deal with just about every single car. The only car that was a bad deal looking back on it was the GN.

Only missed out on one super deal once, a '55 Buick 4dr hardtop for $3k that was mint with exception to a trans leak because of a bad rear seal and some surface rust on the chrome that could be knocked off with some steel wool. It was owned by an old man (at least in his 70's) with a few other mint toys that wanted to sell the Buick and Pontiac he had. Just wanted what he paid for them. A dealer firend of his beat me to the Buick, relisted it for $27K within the week.

It really pays off to stop at houses with old cars in the yard and just talk to the people and get to know them. I must have heard the same 3 or 4 stories from that fellow 5 or 6 times, but they were good stories all about the cars and his life with them. The man had a passion that you wouldn't REALLY know about unless you spoke with him. The truly awesome car he had was a '57 Chevy 150 F.I. car he had owned since new. That thing was just amazing. He also had a '49 Ford convertible he was in the process of restoring. The phrase "Old Guys Rule" never rang more true than with that guy.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

CMC, hope it was a great birthday.

On a side note just found out my brothers family is huddled together with out heat. Seems he has a 1300.00 gas bill. He lost a house in foreclosure earlier this year and tried to rent it to some people who never paid any of the bills and I guess he never got the gas out of his name. So now they huddle in the cold until Friday. If the kids get to cold they will go to my parents. God I hope someday he gets his stuff together.

Also tried to cut the tip of my thumb off. Was changing some taillight bulbs, was pulled over for speeding and a taillight out and was given just a warning. Anyway was not thinking and squeezed the bulb to try and twist it out, it is the push in and turn kind, and the bulb blew up in my fingers cutting a chunk of my thumb out. Man that thing was a bleeding fountain. All good now though with only a little blood on the suburban.

Last edited by Teacher; 02-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by CMC
...Well, the gray hair could make someone think I'm older than I am, I guess. Got the Nick Fury/Reed Richards streaks going for me...
On one of our family get togethers one of my brothers called the other over "Dude, look Brian's hair is turning grey!" My response "It can turn any color it wants as long as it doesn't turn loose!" He hung his head and slowly walked away. That's his punishment for starting his bald spot in his late 20's

Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
...me on the other just did another round of shoveling out the driveway after the plow trucks just went by and buried me in again, hopefully they will not be back!
Chris-- Back when I lived in IL I could hear the plows coming down the street, I'd grab my shovel and be "working" on cleaning up the driveway when they came by, they would swing back around the block and try to remove as much of what they plowed in as they could. It was much appreciated on my part and I'm sure a very rare occurance, I wouldn't count on it but shoot maybe next time you could give it a try.

And I too hope your mom gets better quick. It's hard on everybody I'm sure!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

chris, what day's your birthday? im 18 on the 20th. 'an thats a cool cake CMC. when i was little my mom made my dad one with a '56 on it.

'an boy do i hear ya on stopping in on cars that are sitting! IF the owner is willing to chat for a minute or two, your almost ALWAYS garunteed a good story. even newer cars, like the other red LS i've been after ( i posted about it in the sights & sounds section.) then of course ray maddisons mountian of cars.... THAT was an adventure! took over 100 pics on two trips up the mountian, and only got pics of mabe 1/4 of what was up there. check 'em out:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...agles%20crook/

Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JAFO
On one of our family get togethers one of my brothers called the other over "Dude, look Brian's hair is turning grey!" My response "It can turn any color it wants as long as it doesn't turn loose!" He hung his head and slowly walked away. That's his punishment for starting his bald spot in his late 20's
Exactly, who cares what color it turns as long as you get to keep it?

Originally Posted by skylark65
...then of course ray maddisons mountian of cars.... THAT was an adventure! took over 100 pics on two trips up the mountian, and only got pics of mabe 1/4 of what was up there. check 'em out:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...agles%20crook/
Diamonds in the rough, man, diamonds in the rough.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JAFO
Chris-- Back when I lived in IL I could hear the plows coming down the street, I'd grab my shovel and be "working" on cleaning up the driveway when they came by, they would swing back around the block and try to remove as much of what they plowed in as they could. It was much appreciated on my part and I'm sure a very rare occurance, I wouldn't count on it but shoot maybe next time you could give it a try.

And I too hope your mom gets better quick. It's hard on everybody I'm sure!

thanks and Ryan, my birthday is Feb 21 (40)

Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

more like new washing macheines, CMC.... everything up there has been crushed, sadly. except my nailhead. i got VERY lucky with that one!

'an chris, thats pretty crazy your birthday is the day after mine. haha i got saturday this year, lol. even cooler you got MOTM in your birth month

Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by skylark65
'an chris, thats pretty crazy your birthday is the day after mine. haha i got saturday this year, lol. even cooler you got MOTM in your birth month

yes ryan, I thought it was pretty cool that I got it the same month as my birthday, I was waiting for someone to notice that

Quick Reply: MCF Members Blog: Wednesday February 10, 2010