Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Members Blog: Sunday August 30, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thats way cool, justin. do you guys own the property it sits on, and how many acres is it? i take it is your familys hunting camp?

my friend has a camp we hang out at, small hunting cabin on 100 acres, they built it on top of a trailer frame. its real nice, there is a creek & plenty of space.... cabin was a wreck, though. we went up 3 or 4 times & fixed the whole thing up, its much more respectable now

Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM

For my Pennsylvania friends. I understand your frustrations and the fact that there are more important things in life. I urge you though to take an active role in your government and express your right to do what is legal. We all need to know our laws and abide by those and support the real law. I carry a copy of oregon revised statures (ORS) our laws in oregon with me for school work. I have been pulled over and asked the cop to quote the ORS he was ticketing me for and looked it up. So far every time I have been right and they apologized and let me go. I never go out of my way to be a jerk, but I will not be victimized by some moron with a power trip. If I am in the wrong I apologize and pay my fines as well.

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Why Window Tinting is Legal In Pennsylvania?

Window Tinting is Legal in Pennsylvania because neither the Statute, which the legislature has enacted according to the will of the people, nor the Regulation, which the Administration has passed to clarify the law, prohibit it.

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%.

The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle.

IS SAFETY WINDOW FILM WITH TRANSMITTANCE LESS THAN 70% LEGAL IN PENNSYLVANIA?

Here's a quick reference chart that shows the various arguments about whether tint below 70% is legal in Pennsylvania.

It's up to you to decide whether we are ruled by Statutes, Laws, Federal Safety Standards, and State Inspection Regulations, on the one hand, or by Safety Bulletins, Newspaper Articles, and New Table Xs on the other.

YES

These are the LAWs that say such tinting is legal.

NO

These are the apparent 'authorities' cited by some PA Police that tint less than 70% is illegal.

TITLE 75 of PA STATUTES - 4524 (e)(1) - This is the LAW passed by our legislators and it does NOT prohibit tint unless it "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle." SAFETY BULLETIN - This was sent to Inspection Stations years ago. It has lots of capital letters and asterisks and makes safety recommendations.
PA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 67 - CHAPTER 175.67 (d)(4) - These rules and regulations were written to clarify the laws. The PA Code only prohibits tint "unless otherwise permitted by FMVSS No. 205." OCT 1996 - Another SAFETY BULLETIN for Inspections Stations to share with their customers. It includes a new TABLE X.
A Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, FMVSS No. 205 clearly permits tint below 70%. Read it! After all, most States require conformance with FMVSS205, but still permit tinting as low as 25%. The neat New TABLE X included with the above Safety Bulletin. Don't get it confused with the original Table X that is part of the Inspection Requirements.
In either case The PA CODE (see d 4) specifically excludes any tint "permitted by FMVSS No. 205" from the requirements of Table X.
PA INSPECTION REGULATIONS - PA Inspection Regulation do not prohibit tint below 70%. Inspection Station cannot reject a vehicle with legal tint. The PA Bulletin is a legal newspaper. Here they discuss various recent changes to the PA CODE, none of which prohibit tint permitted by FMVSS205.
Most of the other States explicitly allow transmittances as low as 25%, yet still require conformance with FMVSS205. Certainly they aren't ALL wrong in their interpretation of FMVSS205. Who needs all the laws and regulations on the left anyway? Some officers just "enforce Table X," although it's not clear which Table X they're refering to.
Since all the PA Statutes or Regulations permit tinting below 70%, then it IS NOT ILLEGAL.

Even the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, speaking on behalf of the Secretary of Transportation, agrees that nothing in the PA STATUTE, the PA CODE, or the INSPECTION REGULATIONS prohibits tint, but that it is only . . .
"... the Department's interpretation that FMVSS 205...only allows window tinting that permits 70% or more light to transmit through the window."

Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Robyn I am in no means saying you need to spend time fighting this. I am a law nerd and love looking up stuff like this. Just wanted to share since knowledge is power.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:06 PM

More research on PA Tint laws.

Attorney General.
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=295

ennsylvania's Motor Vehicle statute states, "No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle".

Any side wing or any side window must allow at least 70% of transmitted light to pass through the window, or an amount of light greater than or equal to the window's light transmittance percentage at the time of manufacture.
The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code does not apply to vehicles with windows tinted by the manufacturer. Federal law regulates manufacturers.
The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards prohibit tinting of passenger vehicle windshields and front windows where light transmittance is reduced below 70%, just as in Pennsylvania.

Also in looking at case law, the courts are upholding citations even though there is no statute to back it up. You would be in for a long and expensive fight over this.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM

I forgot to mention I had a great morning fishing. Only caught little rainbows, but it was fun. Forgot my camera, but here are some pics of what the lake looks like.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks todd. Youre right, i'd spend more money fighting the ticket than I would just paying for it. And at 70% light transmittance, that is 30% tint... makes my windows look like i ain't done NOTHIN to my car. I wanted to go as low as 20% all around, but then I'd REALLY be taking a huge risk even at 25% getting canked and getting a hyooge ticket. Plus I dont wanna spend 150$ right now on tint. I need tierods after I heard they didn't need done from one shop, and that they did need done from two other shops. Who do you think I'm going to trust?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Good Afternoon Fellow MC family, Just got home from church and I hope everyone is haveing a blessed SUNDAY. Me I'll probly get back to upgrading my 01 MC SS to an 06 MC SS at least as far as the 5.3L V8 I'm putting in my BABY!! check out the latest photos in my album. The engine is in and now it's all about wiring.

Stay Blessed MC Family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Evenin' all. Finally got back from the raod trip to se Ma n Dad n the rest of the family. Everyone is doing real well, ESPECIALLY Mom. Hospice is treating her REAL well. She's doing the best I've seen her do in 2 or 3 years! Doing good for 90!

Robyn, I know Michigan has tint laws, for a fact. Not just a $60 ticket, but 3 points on your license. And I didn't have to remove it, and only one ticket. A 2nd one and it'd been gone!

Buds, what was your finall gas mileage? Mine ended up being 25.3, and I threw a couple of P0171 codes today, running lean. Must be junk gas. Going to try some Seafoam this week.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Wish Everyone Peaceful `Dreams,
and better tomorrow's.
EnJoy your `Journey of `Life
You only get one
4-Sure!

-Posted 4 that SouthernBeachBumSandHill-Billy `Space.

Attached Thumbnails MCF Members Blog: Sunday August 30, 2009-spaceislandsunset.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 08-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

well home sweet home...wasn't the 40mpg like it was really lookin originally.. but turned to be 36mpg

Quick Reply: MCF Members Blog: Sunday August 30, 2009