Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

love bugs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Default love bugs!

have any of you heard of love bugs? most of you probably havnt if your up north. but these things **** me off. if i drive my car its covered in them when i get back home. i was washing my car today and they where all over it. i was actualy killing more love bugs while washing my car. also if your not aware love bugs if left on your bumper long enough they will chip your paint right off. ridiculous right? if i didnt have to work id just leave my car sitting in the drive way for the remainder of the love bug season.. anyways thought i would post this random thing to see if anyone else gets frustraited by these little bugs..

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When my dad had a body shop in Flordia, he had a thing in his contract for a paint job that he was not responsible for paint damage caused by those love bugs..... I know everyone down there dreads them. I hate going to Florida in love bug season. Perhaps Kid'Space can commentate on this?

I've only been there once this time of year... school tends to keep me away. Mosquitos are almost always in season. But just think... in about 2 months, you can laugh as all the yankees up north complain about the snow while it's 70 degrees and beautiful your way!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
When my dad had a body shop in Flordia, he had a thing in his contract for a paint job that he was not responsible for paint damage caused by those love bugs..... I know everyone down there dreads them. I hate going to Florida in love bug season. Perhaps Kid'Space can commentate on this?

I've only been there once this time of year... school tends to keep me away. Mosquitos are almost always in season. But just think... in about 2 months, you can laugh as all the yankees up north complain about the snow while it's 70 degrees and beautiful your way!

yeah man its messed up. i enjoy washing my car most of the time, but its a pain to try and scrape them off your bumper. mosquitoes suck too. specialy the blind ones. thankfully those dont bite but they invade like crazy. i also work at a place 10 feet from a big lake. so on the way to work its almost like driving in rain when going through mosquitoes. lol oh i will! I lived in michigan for 16 years so iknow their pain!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM

There is a thread on love bugs titled "They're Baaack ". It was started last week so it is probably on the next page.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

have you tried bug repellent like citronella oil or sumthing? i hear dried sheets keeps pest away too. i'd try tucking drier sheets in various spots or puttin citronella repellent on the plastics . might work. idk wat kinda bugs ur talking bout ima yankee that'lll gladly driver in snow over having to scrape bugs from my car on a regular basis.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

i mean drier sheets. like fabric softener sheets.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM

i..... hate.... lovebugs.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Put extra wax on the bumper and they'll wash off easier.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by nickhead
have you tried bug repellent like citronella oil or sumthing? i hear dried sheets keeps pest away too. i'd try tucking drier sheets in various spots or puttin citronella repellent on the plastics . might work. idk wat kinda bugs ur talking bout ima yankee that'lll gladly driver in snow over having to scrape bugs from my car on a regular basis.
Those are good suggestions but it won't work. The love bugs come around for five to six weeks in the spring an then again in the fall. They are on everything during the season. They problem is that they swarm. Bug swarm and front of motor vehicle moving at above 30 M.P.H. Equals yucky mess.
Pam cooking spray sprayed on the front of the car before love bug impact makes the mess easir to deal with.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM

sorry abou tthat i missed that post.

anyways im from michigan so even though i hate bugs there is one thing i hate more! cold weather and snow! lol.. i have heard of rain X being used but i dont know if id stick fabric in and around my car it would probably fall off pretty quickly. once you drive through a swarm doing about 70MPH its not a pretty sight! i want to try something to i dont have to scrub my bumper so hard.