Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Looks what's coming 2 the USA ? Oh WOW : )

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking Looks what's coming 2 the USA ? Oh WOW : )

Are you going to be the first one to trade your Monte for the Below ? Post your thoughts/comments & what you think about
this new CheapCar ?

provided by
Cheap car from India could cost $8,000 in US

Ultracheap Nano could come to US in 3 years with $8,000 price tag

By Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer

Tata Nano (AP Photo/Ajit Solanki, File)

DETROIT (AP) -- The world's cheapest car is being readied for sale in the U.S., but by the time India's Tata Nano is retrofitted to meet emissions and safety standards, it won't be that cheap.

Tata Technologies Ltd., the global engineering arm of the Tata group conglomerate, brought the tiny car to Detroit as a publicity stunt for the engineering group.

Tata officials, while maintaining that they couldn't speak for Tata Motors, maker of the $2,500 Nano, said they were involved with the Nano from concept until it launched last July in Mumbai.

They wouldn't say when the Nano might arrive in the U.S. or how much it might cost here, although Ratan Tata, chairman of the group of Tata companies, has said it should be ready for U.S. distribution in about three years.

Tata Motors already has made a European version of the four-seat car that will cost about $8,000 when it debuts in 2011, and a Tata Technologies official said privately that the U.S. version is expected to have a comparable price. The official did not want to be identified because the price has not been made public.

Warren Harris, Tata Technologies president, would only say that the price would be more than the roughly $2,500 charged in India.

"The structural changes that would need to be made, the changes that would be required as far as emissions are concerned, and some of the features that would be appropriate to add to the vehicle for the North American market, obviously that would drive up the price point," he said.

Tata Technologies could be involved in bringing the car up to U.S. standards, said Tony Jones, associate vice president of the global automotive practice.

Before it can be sold here, the car's two-cylinder, 623cc engine would have to be engineered to meet stronger U.S. pollution standards, he said. Airbags would have to be added, the roof strengthened and the front bumper lengthened to meet U.S. requirements to limit damage in a 5-mph crash.

The Spartan interior, with flat bucket seats, three *****, a horizontal switch and a steering wheel, also would have to be changed to comply with U.S. safety standards that limit movement of passengers not wearing seat belts.

Jones said the Nano Europa has airbags and has passed European safety tests with flying colors.
The Nano, with 12-inch diameter tires, electric windows in the front and crank windows in the back, gets 50 mpg on the highway and has a top speed of 65 mph.

If the $8,000 price tag holds true, it would cost far less than the $9,970 Hyundai Accent, currently the car with the lowest base sticker price in the U.S., according to the Edmunds.com automotive Web site. The price excludes shipping.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM

I am so trading the monte in. I was doubtful until I saw that screaming top speed of 65 mph. I am sold. lol

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I am so trading the monte in. I was doubtful until I saw that screaming top speed of 65 mph. I am sold. lol

LoL `Todd, but it gets 50 MPG : )
and does 0-60 MPH in 22 minutes & 69 seconds
Plus U could swap the 12 inch tires for 26 Dub's...
Now, that would be a Sweet Ride
How R american companies gona compete ?
China/India/Korea/Germany/England/Swedes/
Japan....It's Global Economy 4-Sure...
Oh I 4-Got we got the_______________
Fill in the Blank

Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM

lol good post space, i saw this on yahoo earlier and i knew it wouldn't go for that low when we first heard of it a couple of years back.
I think it will do okay if it makes it here, i mean 50 mpgs!! that's crazy.
I think 65 is decent for highway driving, assuming the majority don't drive like they're driving Montes ^.^ lol
Other than looks the Smart car isn't much better.
I think its like 60-62 horsepower with an 80-85 top speed?
So for those who want to save, it will be a smarter choice, i mean the hybrid/prius may now have competition - its for that crowd.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks, I just threw up all over my computer. That car makes me sick.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

wow, i can see it already many accidents caused by this slow car on the hwy lol man what a waste & idiots will buy it which is sad

Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thats one expensive go cart

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

no (puke) comment (puke).

Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
no (puke) comment (puke).

LoL `Wayne,
It was suppose to make U `Laugh
Not Throw `Up
LoL ~ LoL
I'm gona get one & put a 5.7L Chevy in2 one : ) LOL
with maybe 28 inch Rim's
Now, that would be a CrazySpaced`Out Ride
4-Sure

Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Originally Posted by KidSpace

LoL `Wayne,
It was suppose to make U `Laugh
Not Throw `Up
LoL ~ LoL
I'm gona get one & put a 5.7L Chevy in2 one : ) LOL
with maybe 28 inch Rim's
Now, that would be a CrazySpaced`Out Ride
4-Sure

I'f yur gonna pimp it, do it rite! BBC n 30's! 10,000 watt stereo, 8 x 15" subs, A/V, the wurks!

Quick Reply: Looks what's coming 2 the USA ? Oh WOW : )