Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Looking at Winter Beaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I appreciate the warning, but I think if I can land the car I ideally want, it will all work out. Without rattling off the full list, I know a bunch of people with v6 '00+ N-bodies (mostly Grand Ams, a couple of Aleros). I know one has 200K on the car, another has 200K on the engine and 300K on the body.

The modern N-bodies have held up pretty good for these people (and most are still running them). No better or worse then my current 3100 Grand Am (which the 3400 still has the same nylon gasket issue seen in my '94). Problems have been far and few inbetween on them. Drive trains run great and the bodies seem a little more tolerant in my location then some of the W-body cars (especially the Grand Prixs).

I also like sticking with an engine I am fairly familiar with (especially when I'm looking to buy something cheap with "high" miles).
Not to butt in but I can vouch for the 03 GTs anyway I put 15k trouble free miles on my GT it was startign to get an overheating issue at 86k but i traded it off. I really like the style of the gauges and the smothness of the car itself.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Not to butt in but I can vouch for the 03 GTs anyway I put 15k trouble free miles on my GT it was startign to get an overheating issue at 86k but i traded it off. I really like the style of the gauges and the smothness of the car itself.
At 86K, that's not unrealistic to thing the LIM gasket may have finally failed. But I know the drive train pretty well to be comfortable with it (if I found the right one).

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im certainly not a fan of either of your choices for a winter beater....
I live here in Michigan..Granted I do preferr rear wheel drive...But I use my 4x4 pickup now...so no worries in winter driveing....If I were you I'd steer away from those vehicles and look for a good 4x4...IMO

Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM

I think AWD is too overplayed. You'll still loose control and slide with it. You just won't spin as much from overpowering around corners and won't get stuck. But too many people think they're invincible with it.

With that said, I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy the Vic in the morning. I've secured garage storage for the Monte as well. I'm going to have my work cut out detailing the Vic, though.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

to input on grand ams, my friend has had 2, his first died at 1xx miles but it wasn't that high i dont think, his 2nd caught on fire and burned up..... I'd love to know the cause of that..

Now the cars i agree with you on the crown vic, they're toughly built cars and usually last a long time and presumably parts are cheap due to the high number of them around and in civil service. good luck

Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
to input on grand ams, my friend has had 2, his first died at 1xx miles but it wasn't that high i dont think, his 2nd caught on fire and burned up..... I'd love to know the cause of that..
If any of those were 4-bangers, their junk. I know with the N-bodies a pretty good amount that if I find the right one, I'll know it.

@Mike 00LS - I actually store my Monte outside in the driveway for the winter. I've got an AWESOME outdoor cover from Wolf Automotive. Just food for thought.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

His first grand am was the dohc 2.4 4 cyl. But the one that caught fire was a 3400 GT model.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
At 86K, that's not unrealistic to thing the LIM gasket may have finally failed. But I know the drive train pretty well to be comfortable with it (if I found the right one).
I had a feeling it was the LIM but I wasnt for sure. I took it to the mechanice when the temp gauge started climbing. he looked at it and just made sur ethe fans were kicking in before it got too hot. I think he spaced off the LIM issse. Anyway I'd just got it out from winter storage and it was starting to heat up again just like it'd always done. So I waited for a cool day and traded it in. I think I took a pretty big hit on trade in but thats just my opinion. It was traded in in 2009, it was a 03 Grand Am GT 86,400 miles 4 door and they gave me $4,000 for it o well its been done for awhile now.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM

Crown Vic is still in the air - I'm meeting a guy on Monday to check out a 94 T-Bird with 87k. I didn't get in too deep over the phone with him on what all it had since he was at work - but it's either a 3.8L, a 3.8L S/C or the 4.6L (I believe) V8, same as in the Vic. So we'll see when I meet up with him.

Quick Reply: Looking at Winter Beaters