Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

looking to go drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why risk it while beating on the car at the track? Doesn't make any sense to me.

My car's got an issue, I don't band-aid it until it gets bad enough to fix it... I don't beat on it to make it get worse sooner either.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If his rings were loose and smoking out the pipes, I'd agree with you. If the engine was somehwere internal, I'd go along with it. But I believe you could band aid or patch problems forever when a car reaches a certain age. At some point, you have to determine if it's healthy and, from what I read here, I say it is. I'd check the oil when I got to the track and check it before I left at the end of the night.

His issue isn't related to how hard the car is driven or related to anything that would harm it in a race. It's related to age and mileage.

Besides, racing isn't good for any of these cars. It's hard on tehm. They're not built for it.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM

I've done 0-100 hammered onto the highway raced a friend 30-80 in his GTI and the car has never gotten worse and likes to be driven harder. I dont burn oil coolant stays clean and my A/C doesnt work lmao. however mine has alot of highway miles so I'm sure ill run into issues around when I grad college and will rebuild that motor to better than stock.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM

those stains are from the over a year I've been driving it with the same leak

Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What do you plan on getting out of racing your monte? Just something to do? You're in college and I'm sure you don't have a ton of money for repairs, if so you would have maybe had the oil leak fixed? If you're just looking for something to do, remember, if it's your only car there could be a chance you may do more damage racing it and then you won't have it to use for everyday use. Maybe I missed something with all the responses here, but if it is your only car you might reconsider racing it just for kicks.......

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

don't tracks have fees?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

And adding on to that "why tear up your car..." once you have a time slip and you've run it 5-10 times, why keep going? You know what your car will do. If anyone wants ot know, show them your time slips... they can see your reaction times, they can see your ET, and your trap speed... you no longer have anything to prove. If someone can go to the track an dbeat your time, they know they can beat you. If htey can't, then they know they can't beat you. Plain as that.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM

I really just wanna test my car and myself against some of my friends i wouldnt do more than 5 runs anyways. Yes its my only and first car. my mechanic has said hold off on the oil leak and it has yet to get worse even with to and from lowell drives on the pike 100 miles going 85 non-stop. When it goes bad I'm going through the whole engine to prevent future leaks its a minor rear seal leak but requires an engine pull to be done. when done we will replace all top end gaskets most likely my grandfather wants to pay for the fix (has wanted it done since it started because the car was in his yard and he feels resposible to help his oldest grandson) I plan on keeping the car for a long time so I'm waiting also because it'll put the car out of commission for awhile and i need her. I know for a fact she can handle it

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM

She's only alittle dirty

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Track prices vary, it's $20 to run at the local 1/8th mile track here.

I still don't like the oil being on the track, seen some pretty bad ****... It's not as bad as someone blowing the oil pan off though, that's for sure.

But if you must test it, have fun... Just turn the tires over a couple times when you get out of the waterbox, Prestage, stage. Brake torque between 2k to 3k RPMs. Take your foot off the brake right when the last yellow light comes on.

Last edited by nitehawkjcb; 02-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: looking to go drag racing