Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Lent

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lent

Just curious as to how many members observe Lent. I grew up Methodist, and went to my grandmothers Lutheran church when I would stay with her over the summers growing up. My immediate family started going to a baptist church when I was in high school but I still generally gave up something for Lent, even though most of the people I went to church with were like you're doing what?

In recent years I've been drawn back to those traditional roots and (after a hiatus where I wasn't in the faith at all) am back into observing Lent again, albeit in a non-Catholic form (never was Catholic although I dated one at one point).

So again, I'm curious as to who observes Lent and, if so, what you are giving up. I'm giving up energy drinks this year. It's been an interesting couple days so far as I work 2nd shift (which exacerbates my sleep issues).

Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Smile >What am I Giving `up ?<

Hi `Drew,
I guess I `do, I give `up to do for others all year, every year. Not for just a 40 day period. I think it's good to give `up things in life that are doing you or others harm.

I do believe in a Master Creator of `all. I believe a persons time is the most precious gift a person can give to another. Time is `Life & we all only get so much time on our journey's of human `life. Once you give your time, you never can get it back 4-Sure.

Invest your time/life wisely > 4-Real.

Each person is the Driver's of their `Life. I like to drive mine to good places (lol) 4-Sure. It's everyone's choice/decision ?
I prefer Good over Bad > That's my Choice! *Every time I've been bad, I've got in2 trouble & had to pay the consequences 4-Sure!
I believe in not gambling with my freedoms. Again, it's everyone's choice...Choose wisely (?)

Control your `Mind >> Control your `Life. What is a person without a Mind ? (just a body that can't think & make choices)
"I think, therefore I `am...I think ?" LoL. I'm not trying to convert anyone, it's just what works 4 me.. Remember, it `Ends & we never know when >What `if ?<

It's the way that I've been taught/programed & I believe that a person will only get out from this human `life, what they put into `it. `amen

Wish everyone Peace/Love/Health & Happiness on their journey of `life!
Below is my basic `Creed, Belief >`Law <

Attached Thumbnails Lent-space-creed.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Space; 03-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM

I gave up soft drinks for lent. And I'm going to try to give them up completely from here on out.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
I gave up soft drinks for lent. And I'm going to try to give them up completely from here on out.

Hi `Alex,
It's great to see you online...You've been missed!

Oh, Don't give up the MCF for `Lent

We hope we see you more often...4-Sure

Old 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't observe lent. Good topic though I like reading what others give up for it

Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Admittedly,
I was raised to be a good Catholic. But over time...
I believe in a power Greater than myself... Call it a good conscience or whatever you like...

Yes I was an alter boy and went to catechism and also had experienced the 1st communion ... Of course back when I was all those things church was done in Latin... Then they converted to English... That's when I kinda lost interest and went towards a more mythodical way of thinking... Even Though I have been thru many trying times in my life .. and lived a non traditional type of life... I started searching for the meaning of life and all that stuff to really figure out what I wanted to do with my life as well as figure out who I was as a person ..and where I figured in to the scheme of things... sorta Philosophical I guess... Through the tragedys I suffered in my life, the drug adictions, and being a member of certain hardcore clubs... I sorta lost my way in life... Now having put all of that life styles behind me ... I now find myself looking towards the meaning of life and what I enjoy most about it... Like Space often says .."be the driver of your own life" and take each day as it comes. That's why its called a present (the present) ...

Drew, Much like yourself... You tend to fall back on what was once a comfortable place that gives you direction and comfort...

Life is what you make it...
I can respect what you have to do for you..
I cant honestly say I am no longer an atheist...
I just cant say that I belong to any certain sect or religion.
Great Post/Topic!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

I don't really do anything for lent, but I don't really do much with religion either. It was really never big in my family like some people's. I guess it all just depends on how you grew up if you do it or not.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member

I was never Catholic myself. Admittedly there are a few of their teachings that I have issue with personally (but that's another topic for another time) but I've found that they (and the Protestant denominations who are most closely related to Catholicism) seem to be the least judging on things like tattoos (which I plan to get more of). I think the whole Lent thing was mainly an influence from my grandma. The more I think about it, I don't think anyone else in my family really observed it.

Back on topic though I've found the last few years of observing Lent has been helpful. It's also helped that I've had friends (most of whom don't observe it themselves) respect it enough to help keep me accountable.

David, good luck with your search and being a better driver (as Space would say) of life. I've been in some very dark places myself so I definitely understand your feelings. I definitely don't have all the answers (or even the majority of them for that matter) but if you ever want to chat about anything I'm game.