Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

laptop recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default laptop recomendations

I've come to the conclusion that its about time to replace my laptop. It'll be 6 years old this year and i think.its time for something newer. Im looking for something with decent specs and am open to all suggestions. Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Do not buy any acer product

Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We use Dell's at work and they always seem to work great. A few that we use for DJ shows are pretty old and they still work great.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM

go with a lenovo my friends have them and love them to death. i say dont buy acer or dell my acer hard drive failed after 2 months this summer has been fine since replacement however and my friends that have dell complain they are slow and have the 1k versions my acer was 399 and faster than theirs in real life.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

HP always seems to be good

Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM

I've always had HP. I have a desktop from 2002 and a laptop from 2006 that still work. However, I ordered a custom laptop directly from HP in 2011 and something happened with the motherboard within about 4-5 months. I had to send it out to get fixed and it took forever. Fully covered under the warranty, but it happened in the middle of the semester. That was pretty frustrating. No problems since.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I'd go with a Asus (not Acer!) My model is close to being 5 years old & STILL runs well. Asus has the fastest start up times & can run well under pressure.(lets say you open 10/15 programs at once.. When it came out this computer ran smoother than others doing the same thing.)
I've been through many HP's and Dell's and all ended in either the power supply burnt out, or they overheat too much & kill themselves. None of my computers lasted more than 2 years. The basic Asus computers do usually run $50-$100 more expensive than the competitors though..

ps, also gone through hell with a few lenovos

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here in Utah this company makes excellent Laptops. They will custom build yours for you. Lifetime warranty and such. They have been in business for over 15 years or so. I have had mine since 06 and it's still working fine. They stand behind their work. Not a Dell, HP, Acer and such. These really rock, all high quality made in the USA laptops... See the link below:

The PC Laptops Difference | PC Laptops | Utah and Nevada Computers and Repair

Dan The Laptop Man | PC Laptops | Utah and Nevada Computers and Repair

http://www.pclaptops.com/usa

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 02-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

In my limited use of Lenovo/IBM computing products from work, they SUCK! I personally would opt for an HP or a Dell. If you want something really light weight, look at the new HP Folios (the Ultrabook line). If you want a tablet/laptop convertible, our HP rep just showed us a pre-production demo of the HP EliteBook Revolve 810. That stinkin' thing is an AWESOME cross over product (as it will fit our multiple niche needs in a tablet type unit). The Revolve 810 is supposedly due out next month.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH JEN: (REDNIGHTMARE)

I too have an ASUS,
I have had this machine for well over 5 yrs. Its been problem free..
I like all its capeabilitys.. CD/DVD burner It will accomodate most any size
SD card... Yes the startup is very fast.. We use this one as our "Traveling"
Laptop. So, its had a few bumps in our travels and still performs flawlessly.
It came with windows 7. Personally this is the best laptop to date that is very reliable.and problem free.... It has a great cooling capeabilitys... That is to say: I leave it on 24-7. I can use it on my lap without it burning my legs off...LOL

I have always been an HP kinda guy... But this 1 surprised me as to how well and fast it is..I like it!

2 yrs ago, I bought the wife an ACER... Believe it or not, Its been a very reliable machine for her.. Its also been problem free.... She doesnt use it as extensively as I do the ASUS.. But she does use it daily!
I guess it boils down to Personal preference,
I never was impressed with ACER products. But, hers seems to work flawless for her...In the past that anything that had the ACER name on it. I avoided like the plague! I bought it from a friend that Owns a Computer Business. (New in the Box)

I recently purchased a LONOVO (IBM) for a friend of mine that was rebuilt/refreshed and seems to be problem free for him..(hes had it for just over a year now).. I purchased it from a friend that has the computer business. (He really knows his stuff) It came with a 2 yr warranty.
My bud hasnt complained about it..So, I guess its 1 of the good ones.

Hope this helps Keane!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-15-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: laptop recomendations