Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Knight Rider Heros

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Knight Rider Heros

One of my 3rd Gen F-body friends sent me this link today:
KITT rides again in Knight Rider Heroes trailer

Not enough info to know exactly what this trailer means. Perhaps something Hoff did for fun? Maybe they are testing interest? Maybe it's already in the works?
I saw nothing on IMDB.com about this.

I was a fan of Knight Rider growing up. A talking, hi-tech Trans Am! AWESOME! But everything that came after just butchered the concept. This shows the original Trans Am and Hoff, the winning combo.

Heck, I was able to look past the Mustang in the recent Knight Rider series from a couple years back. But the group behind that messed that series up in a number of ways from my point of view:
- Starting in the opening scene of the pilot/TV-movie to intro the series, LOTS of call backs to the original series (including shots of a Trans Am and original KNIGHT license plate on a T/A bumper, along with Hoff doing a cameo at the end).
- Too many times the writers confused "Reboot/Start Over" with "Continuation", there were countless continuity mess ups and confusion to a fan like me. They did not make the intent clear what they were doing.
- Mustang KITT was a transformer? Seriously, he became a truck or a van when needed. I could nibble on fancy "hologram" like technology to camouflage himself, but that was not it. If they needed a van to haul people/supplies, he was a van. Leave transforming to the Autobots and Decpticons (and the K-mart Go-Bot knock offs).

All my ramblings aside, what do people think of this teaser?? I hope they roll forward with this!!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm a huge fan and my curiosity is peaked!

I was a fan of the Mustang KITT series a couple of years back. It was a little ridiculous (and hilarious) how much of a Ford plug the show was, hence the transforming into other Ford vehicle. Half the time, he did it for no reason really. I found the commercial breaks hard to endure. We just don't watch tv the same anymore, but I found this very much in the faith of the original 80's series. I really liked the way they somehow always worked bikini women into the show.

Back before I was buying #8 Budweiser Monte Carlos, I had an '83 Firebird. It was gray when I bought it and it went straight to the body shop to be painted black. It was only a V6 (dog) but it had the right wheels and it looked pretty close.

I like my tv cars

Old 12-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm excited as this would be cool if they could do the show justice, I watched the original faithfully lol, and yes even owned a trans am although mine was red.

Was not a fan of the remake they had a few years back, tried to get into it, but just couldn't, which is a shame as they had an already verified premise to work with but it just seemed like it was done by people finishing up their schooling and not having real work skills, if that makes sense

Old 12-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, the original Knight Rider was the best, and was a whole lot of fun... in its time. Just like you guys, I loved watching it, and nowadays, I have the first season on DVD for an occasional blast-from-the-past.

But all the attempted sequels & reboots since then just never recaptured the magic... and I don't think audiences today would buy the concept of one sleek black sophisticated AI-controlled sportscar as an effective way to counter unusual criminals. KITT's signature frontal red light bouncing left to right is just so laughably low-tech by 2015 standards.

Hollywood is just so cynically uncreative anymore; there's so much mining of all the beloved franchises that worked in the past, done just to play it safe.
That's what dismays me... it's all so superficial.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
But all the attempted sequels & reboots since then just never recaptured the magic... and I don't think audiences today would buy the concept of one sleek black sophisticated AI-controlled sportscar as an effective way to counter unusual criminals. KITT's signature frontal red light bouncing left to right is just so laughably low-tech by 2015 standards.
In some ways, I agree and in others I don't.
Knight Rider 2000 (featuring the Banshee fwd Firebird concept) was no good, No one remembers Team Knight Rider and then the recent Mustang Knight Rider had a great intro after that it had writers behind it that butchered it (ignore the Mustang, the lack of reboot or continuation was horrible). Side note, on the Mustang one, the screen that shows when KITT talks, it's hard to see but the 3 bar graph of the original KITT is buried in the image (granted, the 3 bar graph style was I think a season 2 of the original Knight Rider).
So all spin off concepts, bomb.

I think if they have good writing talents behind it, spin this off like this trailer suggests as a continuation of the original series, using the original style Trans Am, you will wrangle in old school fans and some newbies.
As for the scanner bar, sure, not "flashy" anymore, but still simple.

I think it really lies in the hands of the writers. Give some hi-tech flare, but not much, focus on strong story lines. And back to the idea of one man can make a difference.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

True, a good show is a well-written one; but who can you trust to do it right anymore, that's what I'm asking.

Or then again... do you suppose a revamped Knight Rider could succeed as an action-comedy, a send-up parody of its glory days?

Something like... this?

Last edited by Sidestreet; 12-18-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: link