Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

KJRich

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy KJRich

Our forum friend Kerry is having a hard time dealing with his wife's recent death from cancer, at age 38. She left him with two young daughters. Please remind him that he has a lot of caring friends here on the MCF, and let him know if you've been through a similar situation. I know how helpful it was when Ricks2006SS started a thread for me when my daughter went into the hospital for the last time. Now's the time for us all to reach out and support a true friend in need.

Last edited by Space; 04-11-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add icon
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks Angie for your reminder on one of our Monte Carlo Family Member's...We wish Kerry the strength to cope & accept this major loss in his life...

`Angie, I hope that you are doing better each day with accepting your recent loss of your daughter `Lisa...
Human Life is so fragile

I hope our member's show their concerns & prayers.

Maybe the below may help
10 Ways to Handle Grief

By Bill Urell

The tragic loss of a loved one, the death of a spouse, the break up of a long and fruitful marriage — life for those over 50 (or anyone) is full of chances for grief, and can easily be wasted on grieving.
Grief is certainly a reality that we must all face
but when we go beyond facing it when we sink deeper and deeper into it, we tend to lose sight of other things in life that are more important. We may neglect people who are close to us, alive, and who still need our love. We may drag ourselves to work, there to do nothing but sit and stare out into space all day. We may be wasting away without knowing it, and only because we did not know how to handle grief in the first place.
Grief is not easy to handle
The long road to recovery is often winding, and can sometimes lead you back to where you started if you are not careful, or if you are too intent on forgetting the cause of your grief. The key to handling grief is to recognize that recovery can be painfully slow, and to know that the faster you get out of it, the less numb you will be. Numbness is not something that you want your heart to experience, because there is more to life than grief: numb your heart, and you will find even the more enjoyable things in life difficult to appreciate.
10 tips to follow on the way to recovery
How can you handle grief and make your heart better prepared to deal with life in general? Here are ten tips that you might want to follow as you trek the long and winding road to recovery. Note that this list is by no means comprehensive: you can find other ways to heal yourself, and cope with your grieving heart.
1. Learn to let go of things that remind you of the person or situation.
Whenever someone is lost to us, or whenever we find ourselves in a situation of grief, we tend to hang on to things that remind us of what we have lost. This can be attributed to the human need for something to hang on to when all else is falling: it is the human need to hope for something when all the world seems hopeless.
If someone you love has died, you might want to keep a few mementoes of his or her stay on earth. However, you will need to let these things go little by little. By letting that photo, dress, or figurine go, you are also letting the person go, and letting the grief dissipate. Think: would the person have wanted you to waste your life pining away for him or her?
2. Write a gratitude journal.
By recognizing what things you can still be thankful for, you are also giving yourself a chance to see the rainbow through the rain clouds. Take any ordinary notebook or diary and make a commitment to write in it at the same time every day. List down five (or more) things that you are thankful for. They can be as simple as seeing a rose bloom, or great as getting a long vacation from work.
Make this a habit, until you learn to see the good things through the bad. A gratitude journal works wonders not only in allowing people to deal with heartbreak and grief. It can make all of us understand that there is more to life than misery and pain.
3. Blog about your experiences or write a diary.
Writing about your grief is one sure way of letting go of the pain. Unreleased pain can turn your heart into a festering wound: without air and a salve, the wound can go deeper, and will never heal. By writing an online diary, you can also get people to see how you feel; if your blog has a commenting or reply feature, people can also take the time to comfort you and make you feel better.
4. Engage in as many hobbies as you can.
By focusing on other things instead of your grief, you can find yourself healing faster.
5. Find a support group.
Talk your problems out, and listen to people with the same grief and problems as you. As many psychiatrists will tell you, talking always helps, and a support group can help show you the way to a faster recovery.
6. Don’t go it alone.
Do not refuse the help of your spouse, children, or friends as they try to comfort you. The more people there are around you, the fewer the chances you will have to concentrate on your grief.
7. Have a spiritual life.
Engage in prayer, or enroll in yoga or meditation classes. There are many ways to feed your spirit. By having a spiritual life, you can find strength and support in divine and unseen forces an important thing to consider when your friends and relatives are not around to support you.
8. Stay away from vices and addictions!
People in grief tend to turn to alcohol, drugs, and other vices to drown their sorrows away. Stay away from these! There’s so much more to life than empty addictions!
9. Don’t force the grief away.
Keep a mindset that gradual is good. The faster you get out of your grief, the easier it comes back. By keeping this mindset, you can recover better.
10. Help others.
Put up a foundation celebrating the goodness of your lost child or friend. Join a charitable organization. Work in outreach programs. If you open your heart to doing good, you can stay away from the debilitating effects of grief and put smiles on the faces of those who come in contact with your goodness. <<

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Angie and Kerry,

Although I have not lost a loved one like a wife or daughter my heart and prayers go out to you. I did lose my dad back in 1992 to a heart condition and that was plenty hard on me for quite some time.

They say time heals all wounds and in the case of my dad this proved true. I still think of him and tear up from time to time but that awful pain has subsided.

I will visit dad's grave site when I go back to Tucson and shed some tears for sure. I fully have faith that dad is in a better place with out pain or shackled to a body that did not work for him anymore. I fully belive this to be true for your loved ones too.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Were all here for him. I'm sure any member would be willing to be here for him if needed. Were always here if you wanna talk Jerry anytime.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Kerry and Angie; you both continue you be in my thoughts and prayers. I have not lost anyone close to me so I can't say I know how that feels. I know that eventually you will see that life continues and you have to engage life again. I hope you both find a way to allow this to happen quickly because there are others that love and need you.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Although I have not lost a spouse, I lost a very dear friend right before Christmas from Lukemia. She fought hard for a year, but in the end it was just too much. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of calling or texting her, and then I remember that she is gone. It is very hard to forget people who touch our lives so deeply.

Thank you for starting this thread for Kerry. Sometimes we just need to know that others care.

Kerry, we are all here for you. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything at all.

"Sometimes God calls his angels too soon"

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

KJ was doing some sort of fund raiser for his family on facebook, if I were to get something together would you guys be interested in contributing to a donation from the Monte Carlo Family?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
KJ was doing some sort of fund raiser for his family on facebook, if I were to get something together would you guys be interested in contributing to a donation from the Monte Carlo Family?
I most defiantely would. Just let me know when you're ready for donations.

Thanks for doing this Mitch.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I have delt with death many more times than an 18 year old should have. All i can say is just hang in there and remember it will get better and easier in time. Time heals, you know we're all here for you in your time of need.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mairj40
I most defiantely would. Just let me know when you're ready for donations.

Thanks for doing this Mitch.
Here too just let me know how and when