Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Kitchen Remodel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you are done with your kitchen do you want to come over and do mine? LOL
There is not much to do except we want to put in quartz countertops, undermount sink and new flooring. The cabinets are going to stay and the walls are already painted oh and we have newer stainless appliances.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm getting exhausted just looking at all the work that needs to be done. Kind of a reminder that I need to remodel my kitchen before I sell this place. A lot of decades old stuff here too.

I would go with the black and white tiles behind the stove. All black might look too awkward. Kind of a big black hole on the wall. The black and white combo breaks up the all black look nicely, and it looks like a checker flag too. lol

Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM

I have this in the original post just to keep things together and at the top of the thread, but here's my update for today:

SUN, FEB 5!
Made decent progress today!

Started by cutting and removing the counter next to the fridge.

Of course the water line for the fridge runs through them and the hole is just small enough for the line, and it's the exact length, so to move the fridge I had to just cut the line first then replace it after since I couldn't get the hardware through the hole.

Getting that cabinet out was a b***h due to the heater duct coming up through the floor about 5 inches - it had to be lifted OVER it (and I had all my cans still in it.

So, after moving that out I got the rest of the wallpaper down - cleaned up behind there and slid the cabinet back into place. Also, I got the small cabinet over the fridge down.

Did the same to the small piece on the other side of the dishwasher which was a royal pain - when the house was built it's obvious they were nail happy! Some of the baseboard I found 6 nails in a piece not even 6 inches long!

Cleaned up, slid all the cabinets pretty much back into place, and called it a day. I even re-hung the one over the stove and put the range hood back up - that way I can still use my kitchen like normal but they can easily all slide right out.

Not bad considering most of the day it looked like this

Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Remodeling a kitchen is a pretty time consuming task. I remodeled mine last winter and still havent finished. New floors, cabinets and countertop. Still havent done the tile backsplash but Ill get that done sometime soon. Its very satisfying to do it yourself. You are making good progess. Cant wait to see it finished.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

nice work man! i gotta say though, for a 70's kitchen it was not too terrable! mine, i've got DARK cabnets with a panneling design on the doors (not inset like youres), and harvest gold backsplash, floors & wallpaper (with gold & plad design). there's even gold flecks in the counter.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Looks like it's coming along well. Removing tile is one job I hate. Our bathroom was terrible at first but once they started popping off it went quick. We probably got lucky because all the steam probably loosened the adhesive.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Here's my update bump:

Well I've been slowly making progress every night after work - but the rest should come out today. For the most part, the drywall is all complete.

Just this corner and the little bit above the back splash by the sink - but the cabinet has to come out first, which will involve taking all the plumbing out first.

So I went to the hardware store - got all new piping and the connectors to do it right. When I first bought the house the plumbing was s**t from the start. I couldn't use the garbage disposal without covering it with my hand right after, otherwise the stuff would come right back up - it's hit the ceiling before. But it was a quick fix I did, then when I got my new refrigerator with the ice maker I jerry-rigged a water line for the ice maker and the pipes are prone to leaking and need broken down and resealed almost yearly. So I intend to redo the whole thing so I won't have to deal with these problems anymore and bring it up to support the modern appliances.

Here's the new stuff

Also, I changed the switches out to match the rest (I changed the rest of the house to this style shortly after buying it).

Originally the house had switches like this:

The new ones are ivory - and I just like the style better.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like a lot of work starting to come together!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Looking good, we did our kitchen a few years ago, bathroom too. Was rediculous, only running water in the house was the shower and the toilet

Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Looks like progress
I TAKE OFFENSE TO THE REFERENCE OF JERRY RIGGING
ZJerry might also.

Quick Reply: Kitchen Remodel