Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Kinda ironic...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Kinda ironic...?

My first car at 14 was a '57 Chevy. That was in 1972. Oh, and I still own the very same '57 today. I went against the laws of nature and kept my first car. And have been paying forthis sin ever since.

I own an '86 Monte LS. And my g/f owns an '81 SC Monte. She hates the 229 V6 under the hood of he car. But she was used to the 350 under the hood of her '76 Olds Cutlass she had before.

I happen to like older cars very much. So much so I have my fleet of them.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

I actually like the 1985,86,87,88 better than I like my 06. But I have to tell ya... If you can drive a vehicle with VDC you will fully appreciate what a PROPERLY design computer drivers aid can do for you.

The way I found out was when I was Nissan, and they put me in a 350Z on a test track. I went down a 300-foot straight WOT into a sharp hair pin turn. I went to hit the brakes and my instructor (who was from England with a thick British Accent, told me, "Get your foot off the brake you sissy and hit the gas!" I did what he told me and the car flew around the turn -- tires squealing -- but perfectly in control. I was amazed. My instructor then told me I was only able to do that because of the VDC system. When the computer felt I was about to lose control, it took over and made the car go into the direction I was point the car. It started by grabbingjust the driver's front tire, pivoting the car around the corner. Then as the rear end started to swing out, it grabbed the passenger tire (and only that tire) and snapped the frontend straight, and down the track I went under full power and I did not feel the computer trying to kill my joy, but enhancing it! The second time around the track, after the instructor explained what happen, you could actually hearing the VDC system kick in and heard what it was doing. But as long as you pointed the car in the direction you wanted it to go, the car was going to get you there -- safely.

My understanding, GM is incorporating this type of control system on the new ZR Corvette. It will be interesting to see if GM does it as well as Nissan did for the 350Z. For if I knew I was in a 350Z, Maxima, or Muranowith VDC I would hit the bottom of one of those circle entrance ramps and floor it, and by the time I was at the top and entering the expressway I was flying between 80-100MPH (depending on the car). That little demo sold more vehicle for me than anything I could ever say.

I wish & hope GM learns, you want computer aids, but you want them to work without impeding your fun!!! In other words, you don't want to know they are working, you just want to enjoy them working with a smooth, flawless, exciting ride. You drive a vehicle with VDC and you will feel you are the BEST driver in the world -- how much of that is you, and how much is the computer, you will never know, and THAT is the EXCITING part. GM... They use computer aids that kill fuel supply, that shut down you motor, that put the car into a state of neutral -- or in other words, they KILL the experience!!!

If Nissan can do it so well... WHY CANNOT GM?????
veerrryyy interesting tale their Craig. i like the new sig too.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

I knew you would get my sig and understand it.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM

well here is one for you .
Ihave a 03 SS. when i first bought the car i had to take the wife to work one day and the get on ramp for the interstate was one of the ones you were talking of. where it folds cling back on to it's self. I hit it at 40mph. at the bottom of the ramp and started giving it gas. When i hit th etop of the ramp i was about 90MPH. so I understand what your saying.

I do apprecate a good handelling car. This is why i was going nuts in Germany. we lived in one of the best places in the world to drive and the monte carlo just didnt have the handeling i wanted.

i have taken the car to Nuremburg it was a blast and we did it pretty good but it still was not the best time i could have gotten if i had the propper tires and suspention inder the car.