Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

keys stuck in ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Default keys stuck in ignition.

I have an 87 monte ss. The title says it all. Any suggestions? Please and thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM

hmm maybe you turned it too far? try turning it just a little up and try? idk hope this helps?! someone on here HAS to know. lol

Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the shifter all the way in park sometimes i have to push mine forward a little.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM

yes the shifter is all the way in park...

Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i had the same issue with my 85 in the end i ended up braking it off in there then ordered a replacement ignition cyl with keys from dixiemonte carlo depot

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I dont know if this will work for your year. But on my 06 my keys got stuck right after I got it out of storage. I disconected the battery then let it sit for 20min and re-connected. Had to do with the security (dealer said this was like re-booting the system)

Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Had to do with the security (dealer said this was like re-booting the system)
I dealt with a '97 Grand Prix if the battery was too low on juice, the keys were stuck in it. But this '87 Monte should predate that problem.

You already said the shift was all the way in park. Also, have you tried rocking the steering wheel? Some cars have had some issues with the wheel locking keeping the keys in.

I doubt this is the issue, since I believe all Montes are automatics, BUT, I know my '84 Camaro, which has a 5 speed stick shift, it has a small clip you have to pull down as you remove the key from the ignition. The clip is part of the lock cylinder and right around the lock cylinders collar.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 AM

So I finally got my key out. I put it back in still the same.problem I can't fully turn the car on or fully off. I went to autozone to get a new ignition cylinder. Took off the whole steering wheel replaced the old cylinder with the new one and still cant turn my car on.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by FinalSS
So I finally got my key out. I put it back in still the same.problem I can't fully turn the car on or fully off. I went to autozone to get a new ignition cylinder. Took off the whole steering wheel replaced the old cylinder with the new one and still cant turn my car on.

Sorry to read about your problem even after your cost & replacement...I hope that one of our expert tech's views your thread & can assist....Below is from my files & Web Search..
I hope maybe one of the below links may help.
Also, check back on your thread later to see if there are more answers/solutions...~> Good Luck

Key stuck in ignition - Topix

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<CITE>www.topix.com/forum/autos/isuzu-rodeo/T5U2TBNOH0JQN8S2P</CITE> - CachedSimilar
20 posts - 20 authors - Last post: Jun 21, 2009
My key is stuck in the ignition. It will go into start but it will not go all the way into the lock position, therfore not letting the key ...
key stuck in ignition‎ - May 10, 2011
97 blazer with stuck key in ignition‎ - Oct 20, 2010
2003 trailblazer key is stuck in ignition‎ - Nov 28, 2009
My key is stuck in the ignition‎ - Jul 16, 2009
More results from topix.com »

Get more discussion results

<LI class="g knavi">
Key stuck in ignition? - Yahoo! Answers

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>answers.yahoo.com › ... › Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs</CITE> - CachedSimilar
8 answers - Mar 6, 2008
I just got home, parked the car in our driveway - and out of the ... Sounds like your shifter mechanism is damaged, this is a problem I have ...
Spare key stuck in ignition?‎ - 4 answers - Nov 11, 2010
Key stuck in ignition, any ideas?‎ - 11 answers - Mar 18, 2010
2005 Mazda 3 Key stuck in ignition?‎ - 2 answers - Dec 31, 2008
Key stuck in ignition on 2006 saturn ion?‎ - 2 answers - Nov 11, 2008
More results from answers.yahoo.com »

Get more discussion results

<LI class="g knavi">
<TABLE style="WIDTH: auto" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>How To Fix A Stuck Ignition Key‏ - YouTube

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width="1%">

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kvm>www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n3L_RgoYI</CITE>56 sec - Sep 27, 2008 - Uploaded by BmarhalProductions
This is a common problem when you try to put another vehicle's key in the ignition of the car you're trying to drive. ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 PM

I had a similar problem in my 92 trans am, car was all the way in park but the button on the shift **** hadn't popped out all the way, I would first suspect the park interlock, is your car a floor shift or column shift, if floor wiggle the shifter in park and see if the button is all the way out. Remove the shifter lever if unsure. Good luck.

Quick Reply: keys stuck in ignition.