Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Just put on some sick new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Just put on some sick new tires.

lol, on a mountian bike.
never knew how annoying it was to put them on!

Got my Giant back to working condition today. She's been sitting in my father's shed for 9 years. Dad and I began to talk again so he gave it back. Got to change her tires to her originals and junked the hideous pink tires. No idea why I chose pink then.....She needs a good tuneup though, and alot needs changing.
Chain needs to be changed and same with its brakes & cables. She's got a squeak from the front wheel when you push too hard. *sigh* front shocks are mush too ):

I feel like everything I own requires too much TLC.
She still pushes strong though, gears don't slip. Shifts a little off, but still smooth.
Now....if only I knew how to do a tune-up on a bike too..xD

tires on :

background: POS schwinn that can't handle what its make for

Anyone else go mountain biking?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I dug my (35 yr) old English Racer 10-speed out a couple of years back and started riding it again. Unless your chain has a bent or broken link you may not need to replace it. Remove it from the bike and give it a good spray down with some PB Blaster to help loosen any rust. Pour some engine oil in a container and submerge the chain in it overnight. Pull it out, wipe off the excess oil and reinstall. You can also pull the hub assemblies apart and clean/repack the bearings so the wheels will spin freely. The squeek in the front shocks may be from oxidation build up on the shafts from lack of use. Carefully slide the rubber boot down and wipe the shafts with some PB Blaster. This will remove any oxidation and lube them. Have fun!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

thanks for the tips. I'll defenatly do that for starters, I don't plan on riding any trails with it at the moment. Last thing I need is something to snap and break in the middle of a 20mile trail in some woods.. It needed a bad tuneup from the last time I remember, the pedal gears won't switch into 3rd without the rear being all the way up. Arms a bit bent from a little run in with a tree.

I'll be buying a little tub of grease today..gotta get her going. Now I wish I had a bike rack. >__<

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 09-01-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

bicycle tires are probibly the worst tires i've ever had to change. when i used to fix up & sell old junk bikes i had a pile of spare wheels with good tires on them, so all i had to do was swap the entire wheel out.

you can probibly get that chain to work like new with enough PB blaster and some regular oil in a pump can, and 2 pairs of pliers. i've gotten a few to work great that were way worse looking than that!