Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you a ?
I'm a Introvert
33.33%
I'm a Extrovert
16.67%
I'm a little bite of both
41.67%
I don't know who or what I am ? Help `Me : )
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Introverts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Introverts

If you've ever heard the term introvert, you might know it as a person who likes to keep to themselves, they're quiet and shy and don't like people. Not all of that is exactly true. Heres 10 myths about introverts, and I agree with them all since I am one.

10 Myths About Introverts : introvert

Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Lightbulb "Be the Best that U can `be 4-$ure"

Hi `Keane,
Thanks for your `Thread Topic. I posted the below information from your link. I think everyone is different & that's what makes life so interesting. To me it would be a very sad & uninteresting world `if we were all the same 4-Sure. I am a little bite of a Introvert & Extrovert + Spacevert (lol)

I enjoy threads (Subjects) like this & I hope our member's do also. We live & learn about life & people as we travel this journey of life that we are on.
10 Myths About Introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk. This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.\

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy. Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude. Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people. On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public. Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone. Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird. Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds. Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun. Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts. A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.
http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

Last edited by Space; 11-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Question Free test ? No grade, but we know that U're `OK

The Introvert Extrovert Test

Click above to find out ? > 17 easy Questions ?'s
No Cheating lol
Let us know `if you passed ?
When I wake `up I'm going 2 take the test
EnJoy > Have `Fun

Below is my result of the above test:

The saywhydoi.com Introvert / Extrovert Test has calculated your results and found the following.

You scored a total of 10 introvert points out of 17 introvert points.

What does your score mean?

0-4 introvert points: You are as extroverted as they get!

5-8 introvert points: You are mostly extroverted with some introvert tendencies.

9-13 introvert points: You are mostly introverted with some extrovert tendencies.

13-17 introvert points: You are as introverted as they get!

-

Last edited by Space; 11-03-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

I donno

Edit **** Took the test I am a hermit

Last edited by Tadcaster; 11-03-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I enjoy going/doing everything I can!
Sometimes, I talk to much... I can strike up a conversation with anyone. (according to the Mrs)
I think I am an Extrovert.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM

LoL Thanks `Tadd & Mod `David, your posts make me laugh
Isn't it just amazing the topic's we see & learn from on the MCF

I'm glad that `Keane started this thread & I hope our member's read & vote in the poll. Looking forward to seeing the results...

Am I motor-typing again Does that make me a MCF extroverted poster ? or just a human that thinks he's an alien ? I just know that I seem way different then the rest ? > 4-Sure >

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'd say i'm a bit of both, generally i'd say i lean towards being an introvert, typically i keep to myself and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. however when i'm around people i'm friends with i can be about as outgoing and dopy as they come, lol. i'm also lucky in that i can get along well with just about anyone who crosses my path.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by skylark65
i'd say i'm a bit of both, generally i'd say i lean towards being an introvert, typically i keep to myself and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. however when i'm around people i'm friends with i can be about as outgoing and dopy as they come, lol. i'm also lucky in that i can get along well with just about anyone who crosses my path.

ditto `Ryan, I could've have said it better myself
Thanks for posting/sharing > Just don't cross `me ? (LOL)

Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I am an Introvert. Although I "Play Well With Others" I like being with my own thoughts.
When in crowds, 5 or more people, I'm always watching what everyone is doing while keeping in mind my own task. And I don't like to stay long, always looking for a moment to escape, file my thoughts then rejoin the group

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

See that's where people are wrong, just because you're an introvert does not mean you're an antisocial hermit. Heres some more info.
  1. Understand that introversion is just caused by brain chemistry: The short version is that introverts are sensitive to dopamine. When we get too much, we feel overstimulated. The most dominant pathway for us is acetylcholine, the part that affects attention and learning, as well as the ability to sustain a calm, alert feeling. Extroverts, in comparison, have a low sensitivity to dopamine, and in fact, don't get enough of it unless they get help from the adrenaline system. They need excitement to feel good.
  2. Understand how extroverts and introverts are different: Extroverts primarily use the adrenaline pathway of the brain, which is a very short loop mostly in the middle of the brain. It only touches on five parts of the brain: the alertness center, the thirst and appetite center, a relay station called the posterior thalamus, the emotional center, and the motor area and sensory processing center. All of this, you'll note, is more about action, movement, and external-focused functions. In contrast, the primary introvert pathway has seven parts to it, and travels from the middle of the brain all the way to the frontal lobe, and back again to the middle. This includes the parts of the brain that has our inner monologue, the reasoning and learning center, the long-term memory center, and then finally to the part that attaches feelings to thoughts. No surprise that introverts easily get overstimulated. It "costs" introverts more to be around a lot of stimulation. We literally think and "monologue" about everything that goes on around us.
  3. Recharge like an introvert: Introverts need quiet to recharge and consolidate events they've experienced. Even though extroverts relax by being in stimulating environments and often suggest you do the same, you should recharge in a way that is comfortable for you. Forcing yourself to do it their way isn't helpful.
  4. Know what introversion isn't: Introversion is NOT equivalent to shyness, social anxiety, or anti-social behavior. It has nothing to do with the amount of friends you have. It doesn't mean that you don't like parties or being around people, or even performing on stage. Any of these things might apply to you, but they are separate from your introversion, even if they could be somewhat related. For example, you may not like parties because you don't like the crowds and loud music, even if you enjoy meeting new people and have no shyness whatsoever.
  5. Dump the negativity: Look up introvert in Google, and you get this: "A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person." It's garbage, and its the same in most dictionaries. These definitions have unnecessary negative baggage. I suggest losing that negative meaning, and just understand that it really means simply that you have a different brain chemistry.
  6. Do the required reading: Read
    The Introvert Advantage The Introvert Advantage
    by Marti Olsen Laney. It is a wonderful book and explains in detail what it means to be an introvert. The brain chemistry explanations from the earlier points came from that book, but there's a lot more tips, advice, and information in it as well.
  7. Schedule downtime: Build downtime into your schedule. Block out days where you plan to do...nothing. If you want to spend a quiet day in bed where you don't even take off your pajamas, you are allowed. This is where well-meaning but confused extroverts might think that you're depressed or not feeling well. But this is downtime, not withdrawing from life. When you do this you will have MORE energy, not less. If you are still young it's important to let your family know that you just need downtime if they pressure you to try to recharge like an extrovert.
  8. Noise-canceling headphones are your friend: There's almost no easier way to get some instant quiet time than using them.
  9. Exercise: This is good advise for anyone but this is helpful for introverts because it will give you more energy to work with since it takes more of it for us to be around stimulation.
  10. Party Tip #1: Get out of the action: Extroverts often like constant stimulation and stay in the middle of the action the entire time. If you take "quiet" breaks you'll have an easier time.
  11. Party Tip #2: Schedule your goodbyes: You can make it easy to marshal your energy for even very loud and overwhelming parties if you know what time you're going to leave. You might even enjoy the craziness for a while since you know it's for a limited time. Tell your friends that you have to go by a certain time, and parties can become easier.
  12. Party tip #3: Have a role: If you have a role to focus on, for example being the photographer or being the DJ, it can help keep you from being overwhelmed. It gives our active minds something to focus on.
  13. Party tip #4: Find quiet spaces: Know where the getaways are if you've got a longer event. Lobbies or quieter rooms can give you a break.
  14. Party tip #5: Wind down afterwards: Some people can party 'till they drop but usually introverts need some time immediately after events to chill out. Make that wind down time part of your party plan. I usually plan on an hour or more of quiet at home after an event.
  15. Party tip #6: You don't owe anyone an explanation: If you get overwhelmed, and feel like you want to leave an event or party, just go. You don't owe anyone explanations why you want to leave. If they demand a reason, I usually just say something general like "I have something I have to take care of", then I focus the conversation on a very friendly goodbye, telling them that I had a good time, and that I'm looking forward to seeing them again.