Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I want to kick the engeneers in the head!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs down I want to kick the engeneers in the head!

Who designed the LX5 engine that is in my intrigue.....

It has been slowly losing coolant and I finialy think I had it figured out.
Thought it was the coolant temp sensor, so I go pick up one, and start pulling stuff off,

I got a better look as I go and realize it is not the sensor and it is really the coolant crossover, yes there is a coolant crossover becuse there is no passage for it in the intake... I would prefer that at this point....

So start pulling that out and realize the exhaust crossover is in the way... Start looking at that... Unlike the 3.8 it does not unbolt from the rear manifold... So to pull the crosspipe I have to pull the rear manifold... To pull that I have to pull the engine/trans/subframe.... I am not happy right now....

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Oh goodness, go GM!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 AM

Justin I am sorry that you have a major pain of a repair on your hands. There are a lot of engineers that seem to forget that after this device is built it also needs to be serviced.I run into this all the time at work.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I don't care who the manufacturer is, they ALL do stuff that makes you go "why".

Here's two from my brother-in-laws old Neon:
- Had power windows in the front and crank windows in the rear (yes, this was how it came FROM THE FACTORY).
- We had to remove the rear seat of the Neon for him to do some car audio work. It used two different size torx bolts to hold the seat and seat belts down. Really? I know GMs use one size for that.

They all have something. Budjlm - I just hope you can get your coolant issue safely resolved.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 AM

Hi `Justin,
Sorry to read about the problems you are dealing with

I've learned that many auto companies build cars to sell & not work on Their Service Dept's make big $'s on repairs
Good Luck on getting it repaired

Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

STUPID!!!

I'll get it done.. i thought of one way.. and one of the guys on my car club site sugested about the same thing but idk becuase it it's kind of a hack way to do it... might just drop it and do a few thing while i am at it... ISS maitinace, valve cover gaskets, plugs, thermastat, maybe replace my resinator with a cherry bomb as it is starting to leak, get rid of the u bend...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 AM

wow that sucks! it seems to be even on my 3.4 a "simple" project turns into a all afternoon one. sometimes i do wonder what companies were thinking when they make things

Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM

they are thinking "lets build this so they HAVE to bring it back to us so we can make more money"

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

^^^exactly

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- Had power windows in the front and crank windows in the rear (yes, this was how it came FROM THE FACTORY).
This used to be really popular in Europe. I have no clue why. Possibly cost savings? I remember that from the 5 years I spent living in Germany during the 1980's. I had no clue they did that on any domestics, including Neons.:p

Quick Reply: I want to kick the engeneers in the head!