Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I-Phone 4S issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm not anti-Apple computers, I think they serve their purpose and they have their own positives. But I've worked in IT for a number of years and I've worked on plenty of crashed, frozen, dead, virus infected, and pain in the **** to upgrade Apple computers. They are under-powered for the price and software is limited compared to the alternatives. Don't get me started on the Apple Xserve servers we piloted. I'm not buying what their advertising machine is selling. Unless Siri tells me to

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
I'm not anti-Apple computers, I think they serve their purpose and they have their own positives. But I've worked in IT for a number of years and I've worked on plenty of crashed, frozen, dead, virus infected, and pain in the **** to upgrade Apple computers. They are under-powered for the price and software is limited compared to the alternatives. Don't get me started on the Apple Xserve servers we piloted. I'm not buying what their advertising machine is selling. Unless Siri tells me to
I understand that Siri can be quite the flirt. My Siri is like most of the women in my life. Only hears what she wants to and interprets what I say backwards. I hope when I trade phones next week that my new Siri is better than this one.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Well guys I am hearing alot of Apple trash talk. I've had pc's and have not been impressed. So what is the answer? I want a computer with at least 2 TB hard drive and I think 12 RAM memory. I priced it at Apple and it is 3500.00. I don't like the fact that the Apple is all comprised in the monitor. There is no tower. I know that monitors don't last forever and is probably one of the first components to take a dump. I think with the hard drive and memory I want it should be fast and not sure there would be a need to upgrade. I don't want to buy a computer that isn't going to work three or four years from now.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's where apple gets you, where you can't upgrade.

If you want a computer with those specs (honestly 12gb ram is a little overkill) when you run a Windows computer you NEED to run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Any 32-bit windows will stop your RAM at 3GB no matter how much you have installed.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

My friend has an Apple desktop thats all built in the monitor & when u start using it itll get hot to where u almost cant touch it, id deff stay away from those

Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Well guys I'm a little frustrated. I said that I wanted an apple computer and many of you trashed the apple and said not to buy that. So I asked what to buy and other than Mod Mike saying that what I want is overkill no one responded. You can't trash one product without offering an alternative. Just my opinion.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gregg what are you plans for this computer? If your not doing a bunch of video editing or hardcore gaming you don't need a really big fast computer. I bout a year old refurbished dell that works great. for all I need.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Gregg what are you plans for this computer? If your not doing a bunch of video editing or hardcore gaming you don't need a really big fast computer. I bout a year old refurbished dell that works great. for all I need.
I'm with Lou on this one. I generally go with a $400-$500 laptop and they last me for years. Mine are generally for internet use though, with some music and video watching, photo storage thrown in. No gaming, etc.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM

I want a computer that will last at least ten years without issues. I want to burn cd' and dvd's. I want to surf the Internet. I want to be able to watch movies on it. I want to use it to set up a web site for my presidential bid. I want to save a great deal of music and lots of pictures. Susan wants to use it for scrap booking. I currently have an IBM think pad that is just about worthless and has been for quite some time. It takes forever to surf the net or read email. I have some music and pics on it and it tells me the thing is full. I've upgraded the memory and that didn't help much.

As far as the apple being under powered; it depends on what you buy. If you buy the cheap apple it will be. I've been told that if I get the computer equipped the way I want it, it will be lightning fast.

Quick Reply: I-Phone 4S issues