Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

<!--end article_tabs-->

It may surprise you to learn that there is a better way to set the rearview mirrors on your car. The quick test: if you look in your side mirrors and you see the side of the car, then you're not using the mirror's capacity! Essentially, most people have a huge overlap between the side and center rearview mirrors, which is unnecessary. By spreading your side mirrors you lose no information about what's behind you, but gain valuable insight into what's beside you. <!-- MediaWiki:Adunitintro --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--if (!gHideAds) { google_max_num_ads = '1';} xchannels = ""; function google_ad_request_done(google_ads) { var i; if (google_ads.length == 0) { return; }padding = ""; s = 'Ads by Google
'; for(i = 0; i < google_ads.length; ++i) { s += ''+ '' + google_ads[i].line1 + '

' + google_ads[i].line2 + ' ' + google_ads[i].line3 + '
' + '' + google_ads[i].visible_url + '
'; } s += "

"; document.write(s); return;} google_ad_channel = '0206790666+7733764704+1640266093+5860073694+95033 94424+9665908481+3607312525+8962074949+0371618899+ 7122150828' + xchannels + gchans;google_ad_client = "pub-9543332082073187";google_ad_output = 'js';google_ad_type = 'text';google_feedback = 'on';google_ad_region = "test";google_ad_format = '250x250_as';if(fromsearch)document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></' + 'script>');else{ document.write('
');}//--></SCRIPT>

Steps

1. Lean your head over until it almost touches the driver's window, and then position the side mirror on the car's left side so you can just see the rear quarterpanel (the rear of the car) in the mirror. Note this will have it positioned farther out than you probably had it before.

Lean your head over until it almost touches the driver's window, and then position the side mirror on the car's left side so you can just see the rear quarterpanel (the rear of the car) in the mirror.

2. Lean your head to the right to align it with the center of the car, for example, just between the two front seats, at your normal height. From there, position the right side mirror so you can just see the rear quarterpanel of the passenger side in the mirror.

Lean your head to the right to align it with the center of the car, for example, just between the two front seats, at your normal height.

3. 3
    Adjust the center rearview mirror to place it facing the center of the rear window.

Adjust the center rearview mirror to place it facing the center of the rear window.

4. 4
    While driving note that a car passing you begins in the center of your rearview mirror. As it approaches you, it moves to the side of your center rear view mirror, and at the same time appears in your side mirror. This shows you that there is no rear blind spot, because there is an overlap between the mirrors.

While driving note that a car passing you begins in the center of your rearview mirror.

5. 5
    Also note that your side mirrors now capture a tremendous additional amount of information about what is in the lanes immediately next to your car. Previously you would have to turn your head to ensure nothing was in the lanes beside your car before changing lanes. Now, your side mirrors do a much better job of covering this blind spot on the sides.

Also note that your side mirrors now capture a tremendous additional amount of information about what is in the lanes immediately next to your car.

Last edited by Space; 12-04-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Great info Space

Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I learned that in a defensive driving course I took once, yet I just couldn't get comfortable setting my mirrors like that. I keep them as far out as reasonable on my car, yet I do'nt see them out that far either, just feels uncomfortable not seeing my car and having a frame of reference.

If you want something really quirky, try driving some of those older 60s muscle cars that iddn't have right side mirrors. I've parallesl parked the things without them though

Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks `Mike (JG)....
-------------------------
Hi `Duane, the above is the way my grandfather taught me to set the mirror's when I first starting driving in my early teens.
Yes, it was unusual or uncomfortable at first, but once you get use to it, you will discover that you don't have any blind spots...

It's best to test & prove it to yourself `if you have a 3 lane road & are in the middle lane ..You will always have the vehicles passing you on the right or the left in your mirror(s).

Or on a two lane interstate & you are in the left lane passing & the dude in the right lane speeds up & tries to prevent you from passing (his vehicle will stay in your mirror(s)...
Then you kick in your superCharger/Turbo,Injection & blow the dudes doors `off How does your father set his mirror's in his personal vehicles ?

Wish everyone a GOOD REAR View when you are out driving your Monte/Corvette/Camaro/Porche or your 56 Edsel ~> LOL

"Be Safe Out there" ~> I may be on the Road
I didn't see him coming up on me in my RearView Mirror ~> Oh `No
You can even see MotorCyles `if your mirrow are set correctly..

Last edited by Space; 12-04-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My dad drove 18 wheelers and had mirrors all over the place. I do'nt think he sets his mirrors, he just drives and runs over people

Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 AM

I've added those small convex mirrors to one corner of my outside rear views that essentially does the same thing on my 95 Town & Country.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the 6th Gens have some of the best mirrors around.

I don't have mine adjusted like that, but I also haven't had any blind spots with my car.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM

I rarely use my mirrors. I just signal, turn my head and look.