Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

And how is this newsworthy? .......

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Default And how is this newsworthy? .......

Here's an actual story about some idiot in Jacksonville that wants Chevrolet to repair the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) on his 13 year old Malibu. I can't believe they actually had a reporter cover this. (Try not to get confused like I did when reading the story - the guy's name is "Ford" but he drives a Chevy.

You know, I recently had to replace the headliner in my 77 Trans Am. I should have called the local news and called those bastards at Pontiac. GM knows that there's a problem with these headliners - they all fall apart after 35 years.

What a dumbass.

<TABLE class=clkImgTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=240 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!--startindex-->JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Paul Ford said his 1998 Malibu is anything but dependable. He said when his car's anti-theft system malfunctions, the car shuts itself down and he has to wait before it will restart.
It's a problem that Ford has been dealing with for a while now, and he's angry the manufacturer won't issue a recall.
"It cripples you and prevents you from starting your car," Ford said. "It pretty much shuts down the battery, fuel injectors. It shuts down everything."
Ford said the anti-theft system shuts his car down for 10 minutes several times a week, the moment he puts his key in the ignition.
"It's very frustrating. You could be anywhere day or night, in the heat or in the cold," Ford said. "My mom, who I inherited this car (from), had to call AAA about a dozen times."

Ford said his car routinely mistakes him for a criminal and activates its theft prevention system. Channel 4 contacted General Motors to see if it had heard about Ford's problem and what could be done about it.
A spokesman for General Motors said the company is aware of complaints in older model Malibus from 1997-2003, where the vehicle security system may not sense the ignition key, resulting in a no-start condition. The spokesperson said: "Chevrolet dealers know how to diagnose these issues if our customers experience it. This does not affect the safe operation of the vehicle."
Ford disagrees wholeheartedly and said being stranded for 10 minutes can put him in danger.
"They put the owner of the car in a pretty precarious position," he said. "There's nothing safe about it. If you're in a bad neighborhood and your car won't start, you have to wait 10 minutes."

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow
98 malibu?? really??? lmao

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM

I especially like the part where he says - "My mom, who I inherited this car (from), had to call AAA about a dozen times."

You inherited the car, and still you're too cheap to fix the damn thing. Hell, you should have offered to have it fixed while your Mom was still driving it.

Now I think he's an idiot and a cheapskate.

Was AAA like - "Ma'am, please stop calling us when your car won't start - you need to take it to the shop and have it repaired."

Was his Mom really rollin' on those cheesy looking aftermarket rims?

Did Mom install that sweet spoiler on the back?

Did Mom also ride with the seat back in a gansta' lean?

Last edited by JaxJim; 06-08-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM

I started falling apart at 13 ...and really bad at 35. At 54 -- I need a full body restoration !
LOL!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It must have been a slow day for news. If this was a brand new vehicle I could understand his frustration, but after 13 years of use I would consider replacing the ignition switch/key combo normal maintanence. Being the safety conscience person he appears to be () I would be more concerned about the missing driver seat headrest. It has more potential of being a safety issue if he were ever involved in a rearend collision.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM

I dont see anything wrong with him. If the anti theft simply didnt work, he wouldnt have a problem. It shuts the whole vehicle down, which might be problematic in an emergency. If you can get a dealer (who has the parts necessary on hand) to do the repair using only your words, that gets nothing but respect from me.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Snyderman
I dont see anything wrong with him. If the anti theft simply didnt work, he wouldnt have a problem. It shuts the whole vehicle down, which might be problematic in an emergency. If you can get a dealer (who has the parts necessary on hand) to do the repair using only your words, that gets nothing but respect from me.

Well, a bad starter, blown head gasket or a failed transmission will also shut the car down and be problematic in an emergency.

If you have any of these issues 13 years after the vehicle was manufactured, your on your own.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Is this guy for real? Does he really expect Chevy to issue a recall on a 13 year old car? How long does he expect to keep the same car anyway? The cheap-*** should just go out and get a new(er) Malibu.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Well... I have seen recalls issued on some OLD cars, but gm will never recall VATS they're too proud of it.
last I recall, they told me to just solder a resistor that matches the key and go from there, or they would reprogram the BCM for$90 and be done with it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by myfirstbowtie
Is this guy for real? Does he really expect Chevy to issue a recall on a 13 year old car? How long does he expect to keep the same car anyway?
Hey now, My car is going to be nearing the 13 year old mark soon.... :p

Quick Reply: And how is this newsworthy? .......