Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How I got better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: How I got better gas mileage

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...g97060505.html

See, nothing wrong just something I have to live with. Maybe Ill become one of those hypermilers. You know the ones that can milk 90mpg out of a tanker truck. Lol

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Default RE: How I got better gas mileage

hypermile it if yer worried about it, gassavers.org has alot of of the hypermiling wackos witha forum fulla info to help out.

personally i drive alot of highway, and if gas was $1/gal i'd be turing in numbers like 22-24mpg, but its not and if i drive like grandma as hard as i can, i've reached 33.4 mpg for a tank, and many over 30 mpg.

in the winter mileage drops off significantly also, getting a 26mpg tank in january is as hard as squeezing out a 30mpg tank in september. cars use alot more gas warming up, so if youre driving around town, making short trips, the problem would only be worse.

so air up your tires, accelerate and drive slow ( but fast enough to be in 4th gear as much as you can be), plan your trips, no idling, look far ahead to coast and avoid using your brakes.

the next step costs money... and thats having some sort of feedback device. the scangauge2 is the most popular choice, just a lil digital screen, anda cord that plugs into the DLC, you can read and clear codes with it even... anyways, it can display instant MPG, trip mpg, tank mpg, miles to empty... history info... various parameters like throttle position, engine temp, rpm, mph, intake air temp, voltage, maf reading, map... it can help you learn how to drive more effeicently.

as great as this all is, getting 33.4mpg out of a monte carlo in daily life is totally lame... and its work to drive your car to its maximum mileage potential. dispite being capible of more, i typicly live at about 30mpg.