Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How far is your Commute to Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not sure what the weather is there now, but it's summer by me, I assume the same there...so you have a long way off before you have to worry about snow (Unless I'm mistaken about it being summer there)...

we have a buncha places with hills and such here and they do a really good job of plowing especially any roads with steep inclines., I think Oregon would do an even better job since there use to more snow...I think as long as you drive slow and cautious and aren't in a race to get home you'll be fine with all of that.

Best of lcuk on the decision, let us know how ya decide....
Joe

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM

You are right Joe. The Job would not start until next september with the new school year. I am just trying to decide if it would be to much of a commute. I am putting the cart before the horse a little bit as I have not even had the interview yet, let alone been offered the job.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM

I drive 8 mls to get to work and the kids school is on the way. you need to find a girl friend close to work and shack up with her the days you work. Yep i feel for you in the winter. Man winter mnt driving can be real bad. You need to get the number for your hwy advisory to check if your rout gets closed and have plans if it does.I can go on all day about needed safety gear.Blanket,food,windshield deicer ect.Try and get chains for your car and learn how to use them without tearing up your stuff if they come loose.Check studded tire laws for your area. Make sure your fan and coolant is up to par for summer.And take some good pics for us!!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Todd thats 10 hours a week in the car. At least you'll be driving a monte. A lot of people i know drive 45 mins to an hour to work cuz there are no good jobs by them.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by v2evo
I drive 8 mls to get to work and the kids school is on the way. you need to find a girl friend close to work and shack up with her the days you work. Yep i feel for you in the winter. Man winter mnt driving can be real bad. You need to get the number for your hwy advisory to check if your rout gets closed and have plans if it does.I can go on all day about needed safety gear.Blanket,food,windshield deicer ect.Try and get chains for your car and learn how to use them without tearing up your stuff if they come loose.Check studded tire laws for your area. Make sure your fan and coolant is up to par for summer.And take some good pics for us!!
Hey thanks for the advice. The road stays plowed as it is a highway. Not to worried about driving in the snow as I have been doing it all my life. Just a long way to go on those icy mornings. You are right on the safety and survival gear for sure. If I get the job I will work on finding the girl to shack up with.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

15ish miles one way from home to work usually takes about 20 min(when i don't drop off/pick up jack)
25ish miles ohe way from home to jacks day care to work takes about 30-35min

snow usually only affects me by about 10-20 mine but i usually give myself an extra 45-hr

Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

120 to 160 a day round trip, for 9 years now. I see a lot of these memorial bells:

Sometimes I am lucky to exit historic El Camino Real at the southern reaches, other times it's Vermont street exit in the SF Mission district, a new to me and fascinating place.

I watch the scenery change, the California hills go from emerald green to golden brown and back again.

I drive in the midst of constant freeway construction - from two packed lanes, to two even more packed lanes while highways get upgraded, to four free-flowing lanes after construction and then back to 4 packed lanes after a span of time.

See at least 2 wrecks a week. Thank the gods that made me a bit late that day and allowed me to miss being in the middle of said wrecks.

I can chronicle the building of shopping centers & more freeway overpasses to access such magnets to capitalism. What was once a pasture now hosts a Wall Mart and such.

The traffic is an eclectic mix of semis, Wall Street types, laborers and landscapers.

I used to do this commute in a company car. Those were the days.

Last edited by Barovelli; 05-09-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 AM

about 58 miles round trip all highway . On those bad days i'm relaxed by the time I hit my driveway !

Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Hi `Todd,
I live in the warehouse where I work,(I'm a prisioner of work: ), but I do drive the company truck to our Central Warehouse about 20 miles away...(It's a great break in my night shift)

I think your comute will be a fun drive in your Monte, especially `if you have a good sound system & tunes to listen to : ) + you can find a nice lady hitch hiker for company on your tirps One never knows

Good Luck & I hope you get the position 4-sure : )

Last edited by Space; 05-09-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member

We have 2 offices... one in the suburbs and one in Chicago

I live 3 miles away from the suburban office...

but I work in the Chicago office lol.

I take the train which is anywhere between 32-40 minutes depending on which express I get. It's almost an hour if I have to take a local. Plus walking to the office it's an hour plus or minus door-to-door.

Quick Reply: How far is your Commute to Work?