Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: How did you learn to work on cars ?
Learned from Parent(s) or Family Member(s)
47.83%
Had Auto Mechanic's in High School
8.70%
Went to Auto Tech School(s)
0%
Self Taught: Trial & Error
34.78%
Learned Working with Friends
4.35%
Went to College & have a degree in Automotive Mechanic's
0%
I've never learned, I take it to the professionals
4.35%
I'm RICH & take it to the shop
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

How did you learn to work on cars/trucks, etc ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I'd say mostly trial and error, although a good amount was from my grandpa my dads fix to cars was always let it sit ten minutes and start it agian and see how it goes lol
Unhook the battery, maybe the computer will reset itself and all will be good.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
Unhook the battery, maybe the computer will reset itself and all will be good.
Thats pretty much how it goes with him lol, his alternator went out and u could tell by the sound thats what it was and he thought his engine was blown lol, shouldn't have told him it was the alternator could have had a 99 Sunfire with 110k for $800

Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM

I worked at a car shop for a summer in high school- learned my confidence from there. i know my way around tools from work (hospital facilities tech). everything else i had to learn via manuals and internet. my dad never took the time to do any car stuff and my mom spent her time doing church stuff.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This should be multiple choices!!! I learned a lot from my dad, I learned a lot through necessity, and I learned a lot from reading manuals, books, the internet, and figuring out what they're talking about.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was thinking multiple choices like Duane, but its cool to see that the poll shows us that most of us give "Dad" the credit. Not to be sexist tho. Did anyone learn from Mom?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Self taught, I like to look at cars like grown up Lego's. Take it apart and put it back together how you found it.

For me though it all started when the water pump on my first car broke. My dad in turn handed me a water pump, some tools, RTV, and a Hayne's manual and said "Fix it". To which I did, and I loved doing stuff like that ever since.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I'll vote when it is multi choice,

Self taught

Basics have been from my father
Brake jobs, oil changes ect,

Books,the internet,
i'll pick up and read manual cover to cover,
If I don't get how to do somthing I will read as much on the net as I can about it, and/or post in forums asking questions,

And a mix of Trial and Error and friends
Doin big stuff has all been trial and error with some guidance with books and friends, if it doesn't work ask a friends for help, hop on the net or grab my book,

Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM

No google or youtube on the poll??? Thats who taught me lol.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

mostly from my dad, scince he's a fleet mechanic and fixes everything from cars to trucks to heavy dump trucks & 18wheelers to tractors & heavy equipment, trailers, small engines, desiel and gas engines, paint & body work, performance builds, he's done a bit of everything i could ever ask about, and has always been willing to lend a hand with my projects

i've also picked up some of my knowlage just tearing into stuff hands on, the monte & the ranger have been great learning tools for me to dissassemble & repair things on. i've found great forums for both, and if i ever mess something up parts are in any junkyard. the buick, i've always been more reluctant to dig into, because if i screw something up with that, parts are mostly non-existant or cost an arm & a leg.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Started at a young age racing go karts hanging around the local race track pretty much self taught . Had a car at 14 to rat around the fields watched alot of nascar from a young age . Have a fairly high mechanical aptitude the car I had when I grewup in the day car were easy to work onyou could change the point and use a match book cover to set them. Today you have to have a degree in rocketry to fix them and some expensive stuff to fix it that is why I like this site. You get great ideas and answers from alot of people thxs to everyone

Quick Reply: How did you learn to work on cars/trucks, etc ?