Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Historic and abandoned Race Tracks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Historic and abandoned Race Tracks....

I have always been fasinated with old abandoned stock car tracks and the stories that these forgotten about places have to offer. I really enjoy looking at the aerial photos of these tracks. There was ( or still is ? ) a web site that had several of these tracks from all across the U.S. posted on there. I don't remember it now or just can't find it.
Does anyone know of a web site that has all of these tracks on there ?
It would be something like this :

301 E Willoughby Rd, Fayetteville, AR - Google Maps

Thanks. This could be very fun.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't know about the site that you are referring to. I hate to see a track close. They closed the USA Speedway here in Lakeland a few years ago to build an industrial park. The Hooters series used to run there. They closed the track, sold off most of the assets, and then the economy tanked. Nothing at all is happening there. I hope it will reopen but I doubt it.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'm not sure on one site that lists all abandoned tracks but I know of a local track called Meadowdale raceway. It was a road course that was located in Chicago's northwest suburb of Carpentersville.
index

Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We used to have a racetrack here in Windsor called Checker Flag Raceway.

http://www.checkerflagraceway.piczo.com/?cr=1

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nascar43
I have always been fasinated with old abandoned stock car tracks and the stories that these forgotten about places have to offer. I really enjoy looking at the aerial photos of these tracks. There was ( or still is ? ) a web site that had several of these tracks from all across the U.S. posted on there. I don't remember it now or just can't find it.
Does anyone know of a web site that has all of these tracks on there ?
It would be something like this :

301 E Willoughby Rd, Fayetteville, AR - Google Maps

Thanks. This could be very fun.
Check this LINK:ghosttracks

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Before moving to Florida I lived in Milton Vermont. We had two race tracks there. One was a drag track that I never saw operate. It has been closed since the early 70's. We also had an asphalt short track that in its later years hosted the American Canadian tour also known as ACT. Late Models, street stocks, and run whatcha brung ran there. The. Grand National division now known as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series used to run there back in the 60's. Richard Petty ran there. The track was called Catamount race way. The track was closed in the early 90's and bulldozed to make room for an industrial park.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You guys should check out my thread on the old 9/10ths mile dirt track in Hillsborough, NC that I posted a few days back.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...jarrett-32000/

Really cool show... lots of cars, went down to the race track... crazy to see the condition that place is in. It's basically a dirt path through the woods now. They quit racing there in '68, Petty won the last race, Pearson holds the track record.

The track I think I miss most (being as I'm in my early 20s) is probably Rockingham. They quit racing there when I was 15, track was expected to stay on the schedule but the lawsuit concenring a monopoly made them give the dates up to Texas I think it was. A lot of people around where I live miss North Wilkesboro. They had a big "Save the Speedway" group in Wilkesboro for a while, and they had the track opened up and running a few local races on it again, but then they couldn't afford it and it shut down again.

The times, they are a changing. Maybe if less and less people keep going to NASCAR races, they'll eventually retract back into their roots and start going to some of theset racks again. The truck series is going to run Rockingham in 2012... I may just have to slide down and see that!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 11-10-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM

From what I've heard, there's a group that's rennovating the old North Wilkesboro speedway in North Carolina. That would certainly be interesting to see.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Default old tracks

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
From what I've heard, there's a group that's rennovating the old North Wilkesboro speedway in North Carolina. That would certainly be interesting to see.

That would be great ! I miss that ole race.
Here is a link to what I am writing about.

AERIAL VIEWS OF DEAD RACE TRACKS

Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

well, as I said... there was a "Save the Speedway" grup, they had a few races in Wilkesboro a year ago, but they lost funding, the bank foreclosed, and now it's back to abandoned status....

Quick Reply: Historic and abandoned Race Tracks....