Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hey Taz, OH, PA, and NY Folks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default Hey Taz, OH, PA, and NY Folks

I have been putting together a little presentation for my folks at the dealership, on acid rain and its effects.

Ohio's electric, chemical & rubber plants produce acid rain clouds so BAD... that it effects parts of Michigan, PA, NY, and Canada. Producing acid rain with pH levels as low as 4.1, which is strong enough that it will eatinto your clear-coat in a matter of minutes (less than 15-minutes). The clouds drifting into Michigan 4.3-4.5. PA 4.3-4.4, NY 4.3-4.4, Canada (windsor getting both Ohio, and Michigan's Detroit Edison and Ford Motor's Rouge) 4.2, 4.3.

You boys in these states need to run and rinse your cars off the second it stops raining to protect your finish.

WOW... Napa Valley, California, has the best rain in the United States producing rain with the pH of 6.0 (you can drink it).

Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Hey Taz, OH, PA, and NY Folks

Now I know who to blame for this. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

I have been putting together a little presentation for my folks at the dealership, on acid rain
[/align][align=center]All MCF Member's are invited [/align][align=center]for this limited performance[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Stop in the dealership & hear Master `Craig[/align][align=center]playing`Acid Rain on his new Guitar.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think Acid Rain is being consumed byour Politicans.[/align][align=center]That would explain volumes.[/align][align=center]Peace~>Out[/align]

Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow.... whats causing it? seems like the NYC/Philly Area and NJ would be worse....

i remember chemistry... that is some pretty acidic water. you certainly woudln't want to swim in it, i guarantee you that.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Photobucket

I really don't know... but I suspect it is all the chemical plants in Ohio.

Here is a map: There is a Hot Spot in Knoxville, Tennessee and another one in Greensboro, North Carolina:

http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/isopleths/maps1999/phfield.gif
+

Then here is a cartton I like:

Then I found this:

Just found a newer map

And this one... Notice the change in one year...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Sorry, but I disagree with you on rinsing the car off, Craig. Never had my clearcoat eaten away from the acid rain here in Northeast Ohio, but have seen an egg some f*** threw on my Grand Prix do some serious damage. Here is a web page about the PH values of some common household items (at the bottom of the page).I wouldn't worry about the rain, but orange juice or ammonia would do a serious number on your paint, I think.

http://www.physchem.co.za/Acids/pH%20Scale.htm

Also, the chemical plants, coal burning power plants, and nuclear plants all contribute to acid rain. The lack of EPA enforcement and laws to clean up the plant emissions are the biggest problems. Some of these companies almost literally get away with murder, they put so much crap out. That being said, the air quality is much better now than in the 60's and 70's. I wish I could find charts like Craig's from that period of time.

I work in one of those chemical plants, and we make some pretty nasty stuff that blows everywhere the wind does, though. It will damage your paint if it gets on your car, and if it gets on your clothes you'll never get it out.

I got it on my F-150 the FIRST day I got the truck, it was kind of chilly that night, so dew formed on top of it, and I couldn't tell that it had crap on it because I got off work at 11 PM. I went out the next day about noon, and the sun had baked this crap into the paint. It spotted the clear coat, and no matter how many times people tried to get the spots out, they are there still today. The company won't pay for new paint either, because, well, they're a bunch of assh****.

Needless to say, my SS will never be near the plant I work at.

Hey Craig, did you see this about transmission shifting in the 2006 SS?

https://montecarloforum.com/m_74591/tm.htm

Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I live in western PA, just south of pittsburgh. I have never had any trouble with acid rain. All of our daily drivers, current and past, sit outside 24/7 and not one has any signs of acid rain. Neither my moms dark green f150 nor my old dark green f150. The only problem we have in my area that does a number on a paintjob is the sap from the trees that we park under or near. It seems to adhere to the paint better than anything I have ever seen. And in my area you can drink the water right out of the sky. I do it all the time. It tastes just like tap water.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had egg ruin the paint on a previous car.
As for acid rain, I don't know all the numbers like you do Craig. But I have noticed in the last few years that a wax job on my car only lasts about 4 or 5 rain falls. Then needs to be re-applied. I remember when I was a kid, my dad only had to wax his car twice a year. Once in the spring, and once in the fall before the snow came. In between the water always beaded after a rain.

By the way, Craig. You would be the one to ask, I think. I've seen and read claims that water beads on your car is actually bad for the paint. The claim is that with paint being softer than in decades past, the water beads act like a magnifying glass, focusing the sun's rays onto one spot on your paint and "burning" a hole into your paint.Plus the water beads tend to leave water spots when they dry. The claims say that you should use a wax that allows the water to "sheet" off of you car. Any truth to the claims about the sun burning your paint thing?

Oh yeah... the sig is justa little comedy relief. The sig you created for me will return. It's just too good to get rid of.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: mrl390

I live in western PA, just south of pittsburgh. I have never had any trouble with acid rain. All of our daily drivers, current and past, sit outside 24/7 and not one has any signs of acid rain. Neither my moms dark green f150 nor my old dark green f150. The only problem we have in my area that does a number on a paintjob is the sap from the trees that we park under or near. It seems to adhere to the paint better than anything I have ever seen. And in my area you can drink the water right out of the sky. I do it all the time. It tastes just like tap water.
I will bet you $100, if I take my 20x scope to your car, I will show you where rain drops have etched into your finish. Be it the sealant, glaze, or clearcoat or all three. I see it on my car, and I have a stupid amount of glaze & wax on it.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: Taz

I've had egg ruin the paint on a previous car.
As for acid rain, I don't know all the numbers like you do Craig. But I have noticed in the last few years that a wax job on my car only lasts about 4 or 5 rain falls. Then needs to be re-applied. I remember when I was a kid, my dad only had to wax his car twice a year. Once in the spring, and once in the fall before the snow came. In between the water always beaded after a rain.

By the way, Craig. You would be the one to ask, I think. I've seen and read claims that water beads on your car is actually bad for the paint. The claim is that with paint being softer than in decades past, the water beads act like a magnifying glass, focusing the sun's rays onto one spot on your paint and "burning" a hole into your paint.Plus the water beads tend to leave water spots when they dry. The claims say that you should use a wax that allows the water to "sheet" off of you car. Any truth to the claims about the sun burning your paint thing?
Water beads on an unprotected car is correct. Water beads on a well protected finish -- one that protects your finish from the UVs, is ok. My car beads water like no other.But after a rain, because of the acid in the rain, I have minor etching from the beading -- etching in wax, notmy clearcoat. But never from washing my water.

Quick Reply: Hey Taz, OH, PA, and NY Folks