Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Heres a quick CAR quiz i made!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Heres a quick CAR quiz i made!

Lets test your car knowledge! Here we go!

(T/F) (if false, explain )
1. The Small Block 305 offered in a 4Th Gen Monte Carlo SS got 180HP.
2. In 1970, the most sporty and powerful option on the Monte Carlo was the SS 454 package.
3. The 1970 Monte Carlo was featured in the beginning of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
4. There was no changes made on the Monte Carlo from 70-72
5. There was no changes made on the Camaro 67-69
6. Engines over 400 Cubic Inches were illegal before 1970.
7. The Corvair was later proven it was just as safe as any other car from its time period.
8. The Corvette Gran Sport gets more HP than a Z06.
9. The 5th Gen Camaro SS Gets 400HP with an Auto and 440HP with a Manual.
10. The Challenger is considered a Pony Car.
11. The Mustang was Fords answer to the Camaro
12. The Orignal name for the Camaro was going to be Panther. But GM was told to dial the aggression back.
13. Chevrolet named Camaro saying it meant companion or friend.
14. A 1973 Monte Carlo was used in the movie Training Day.
15. After 2007, The Chevrolet Camaro filled the coupe position in Chevrolet's lineup, beginning in the 2010 model year.
16. The BIG 3 are Chevy, Ford, and Dodge.
17. The 05-09 Mustang GT got approx 300HP.
18. The 2012 Camaro LS gets 260HP.
19. The 06-07 Monte Carlo SS gets 270HP.
20. The quiz is over and you think you did pretty well!

howd you do!? it was fairly easy!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
Lets test your car knowledge! Here we go!

FALSE... Inspired by the success of the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet launched its own pony car, the Camaro ...LOL

FALSE.. 67-69 Camaro has changes..The 1968 received minor changes for its second year. The grill took on a more horizontal look while the vent windows were dropped and "Astro Ventilation" (i.e. flow-through ventilation) was added. Side marker lights were added while the SS396 received revised chromed hood inserts ..1969 saw several noteworthy changes to the Camaro. The grill became deeper set, the taillamps were longer and thinner and broken into three segments. A heavy "eye-brow" crease was added on the both sides of the car extending from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well. A matching crease went from the rear wheel well to the rear quarter panel. The Camaro also received new fenders, door skins, rear quarter-panels, grille and taillights which gave it a wider, lower appearance. Inside, the Camaro received a redesigned dash and more comfortable seats. Endura rubber bumpers were available on the 1969 Camaro as well as ram air induction systems for the SS. ...
LINK:Musclecarclub.com - Chevrolet Camaro - History - 1st Generation

Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I got em right i think

Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Yes, they also offered the L69 (5.0L H.O.) that was offered in the F-Bodies.
BTW/side note - The L69 (though not much in muscle car standards) functions best in a Camaro due to how the Camaro air intake is designed.

2. In 1970, the most sporty and powerful option on the Monte Carlo was the SS 454 package.
No answer

3. The 1970 Monte Carlo was featured in the beginning of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
True, it was in the beginning of the movie (used to race the Dodge Viper).

False - Just a guess, but knowing GM, they did something.

False - I believe in that era they had different packages and options for each year. But I'm not a 1st Gen Camaro expert.

False, if I understand correctly, it was the Big Block engines that were over 400 C.I. and those were heavily used in pre-70's Muscle Cars.

7. The Corvair was later proven it was just as safe as any other car from its time period.
No Answer

False - I honestly don't know the answer to this (as I don't follow Vettes too closely, so it's more of a guess, but I thought the Z06 was top of the line performance for any year of Vette it was offered).

True - But my gut says it's does MORE then that.

True - I believe the origin of Pony car relates to the Mustang and cars that competed for it's market share when it was released.

False - The Mustang was released before the Camaro, as I recall, it was not originally intended to be a "Muscle" or "Performance" car, just a fun street car. It became a quick favorite in the auto industry. Chevy wanted a piece of that action, there answer, the Camaro.
Fun Fact/Side Note - The original Camaro had a side profile that was modeled after the Chevy Nova. Camaro also has the nick name "Poor Man's Vette" (as it offered similar, not identical, performance to the Vette but at a much lower cost).

12. The Orignal name for the Camaro was going to be Panther. But GM was told to dial the aggression back.
False - Though I don't know the true answer to that, in all my reading about Camaros, I have never ran across that information.

True/False - This is a topic that has been of some controversy but never confirmed. It's believed that Camaro is FRENCH for the word friend. I know someone who teaches French to high schoolers and she is unfamiliar with the word. In all my research on the topic, this has never been confirmed. If I was forced to give an answer, I choose false since the origin has not been confirmed and I know one person who has never heard of it in the French language.

No answer, never saw it.

15. After 2007, The Chevrolet Camaro filled the coupe position in Chevrolet's lineup, beginning in the 2010 modelyear.
True - GM began flashing the concept car a few years before selling it (almost like a kid who could not keep a secret IMO). Heck when the first Transformer movie was released featuring the new Camaro, you still could not drive one off a dealer's lot.

True - But most people say GM, Ford, Chysler (or Mopar). Since each label is parent to multiple brands one could debate the term.

17. The 05-09 Mustang GT got approx 300HP.
False - I doubt the Mustang GT is that close in HP rating to the v6 Camaro.

False - I thought it got over 300HP

False - Gut says it does more.

Fair, hopefully not embarrassing.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member

1. The Small Block 305 offered in a 4Th Gen Monte Carlo SS got 180HP. T
2. In 1970, the most sporty and powerful option on the Monte Carlo was the SS 454 package. T
3. The 1970 Monte Carlo was featured in the beginning of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift T
4. There was no changes made on the Monte Carlo from 70-72 F
5. There was no changes made on the Camaro 67-69 F
7. The Corvair was later proven it was just as safe as any other car from its time period. T
8. The Corvette Gran Sport gets more HP than a Z06. F
9. The 5th Gen Camaro SS Gets 400HP with an Auto and 440HP with a Manual. F (Manual gets 426HP)
10. The Challenger is considered a Pony Car. T
11. The Mustang was Fords answer to the Camaro F
12. The Orignal name for the Camaro was going to be Panther. But GM was told to dial the aggression back. T
13. Chevrolet named Camaro saying it meant companion or friend. T
14. A 1973 Monte Carlo was used in the movie Training Day. F (1979 Monte)
15. After 2007, The Chevrolet Camaro filled the coupe position in Chevrolet's lineup, beginning in the 2010 model year. T
16. The BIG 3 are Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. F (GM, Ford, Chrysler)
17. The 05-09 Mustang GT got approx 300HP. T
18. The 2012 Camaro LS gets 260HP. F (323Hp)
19. The 06-07 Monte Carlo SS gets 270HP. F (300Hp)

Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

True
True. Educated guess though.
True, but I'm not familiar with the year to year changes in the early Monte's.
False. Guess
False. There were a number of changes in all 3 years with 69 being the most unique and popular of the 1st gen Camaro's.
Very false. There are a number of cars from the 60's that had larger engines.
True. Guess
I'm going to say true, but that's only because they rated hp differently back then. If you were to compare the two now, it would be the Z06 for sure.
True and False. The Auto is correct, but the manual gets 426hp.
True
False, other way around.
True
True
True. It's a guess though because I've never seen it.
15. After 2007, The Chevrolet Camaro filled the coupe position in Chevrolet's lineup, beginning in the 2010 modelyear.
False. The Cobalt had a coupe all the way until it was replaced by the Cruze.
False. While this use to be true, it's now Toyota, GM, and VW. However, the order may change after we find out the sales results for 2011.
17. The 05-09 MustangGT got approx 300HP.
True. The Mustang GT made 315hp in 2010 and then in 2011 it made 412hp.
False. All 5th gen Camaros make more then 300hp.
False. They made 303hp.
True, at least overall.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 PM

Considering that I'm not a life long GM fan I think I did ok. I didn't know the HP ratings but most of the rest I got right. I had read the book about the Corvair and determined that Ralph Nader made a name for himself by bashing a car that wasn't a bad car. The biggest changes on the 70-72 Monte were the parking lights at the front. One year they were round and in the bumper, another year square and in the bumper, and finally moved to the grille. I knew the 67-69 Camaro saw subtle changes each year and also knew the Camaro was Chevy's answer in 1967 to the Ford Mustang that debuted in 1964.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

OK, now I'm curious, I need to know sources for the answers to the following questions:

I only say that because I've never seen mention of the Camaro being called the Panther, so I want to know what other back history there is.

Also, Camaro translating to "companion or friend", what language? I've heard it but never was able to find support to the claim.

I just want to expand on my knowledge of the Camaro subject

Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
OK, now I'm curious, I need to know sources for the answers to the following questions:

I only say that because I've never seen mention of the Camaro being called the Panther, so I want to know what other back history there is.

Also, Camaro translating to "companion or friend", what language? I've heard it but never was able to find support to the claim.

man, just give it rest, relax and sleep on it dude! The answers will be the same tomorrow.... Just kidding dude, atleast you made an attempt at reading, answering them.... Merry Christmas eve Jason.........

Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

You might try searching Collectible Automobile. It is a good source of trivia and facts.

Quick Reply: Heres a quick CAR quiz i made!