Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

help opening door?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Default help opening door?

Im sure all of you members in the northern states/canada will know what im talking about, early this morning around 7:00 am i was trying to get into my monte to go to school but the doors were frozen shut! the trunk opened easily so i tried to kick the back seats down and go in that way but it didnt work, so me and my friend mike spent like 10 minutes trying to open my doors that were frozen stuck.

Does anyone have any advice to get my doors open easier when they are frozen shut?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: help opening door?

somebody once told me to get a glass of water, pour over the crevice, and that would thaw it out. seems like that wuold make more ice to me though.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM

got some beer? nasty old liquor that has been sitting around? pour that over the cracks, it will thaw them out. Running water will melt non-running water, that will work too.

The old hair dryer also works too.
I would try the hari dryer first, water second, and booze last, beucase i don't know what that might do to your paint (only try that as an ablsolutely LAST resort)

(As you can see I've had some experience with this, I also live in the north where we can get ice and stuff)

Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Actually first I would try hot/warm water. Doesn't have to be boiling, but the warmer the better.

Once it's unstuck get some Di-electric/light bulb contact grease. Silicon greasecan help prevent it. Another good option is Protect-all, available in the RV section of ur local wally world. This stuff is great for anything rubber or vinyl. It won't leave a shiny surface, but has carnuba wax to help protect the surface, and even a UV resistant coating. You actually can hardly tell it's even on the surface one it's on, but I use it exclusively for my cars dash, (any hard/soft plastic surfaces that aren't fabric or carpet)and all of the rubber trim than can be effected by UV radiation (just like ur skin burns, plastic/rubbers exposed to sunlight will eventually degrade)

If those aren't readily available, a good car wax will get you by, but it doesn't have the longevity that the di-electric grease will have, or the UV protection like protect-all.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 AM

I should mention that for a quick fix alcohol will work, but for prevention my suggestions are tried and true methods.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If trying to un-freeze a door use cold water not hot. Hot freezes faster. Cold water, although in your mind you percieve it as cold, is still warmer then the object you're about to pour it on. So it thaws this (like the door lock on my barn yesterday) out for you and you can gain entry.

Now you want to make it so the odds of this happening again are less? WD-40.
Spray the WD-40 on the latch part. If it get's on the paint, wipe it off. It won't harm it.
You can also try lowering the window, using the plastic tube supplied with the WD-40 can and a light source spray the WD-40 down inside the door on the latch mechanizm. If the WD-40 get's on the glass you will need to use a cleaner to remove it. If it get's on the upholstery it'll leave a great shine.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM

I too suggest using water. over the past that has happened to me alot when i lived in stl and that is what i used every winter was pitcher of water.